The Student Room Group

advice from people working in retail?

I have a 1 hour job sample at tesco express on monday, im just hoping to get some advice on how i can impress the manager who will be watching me.

Things ill do:
- make sure labrls face forward and stock closer to being out of date is at the front on the shelves
- minimise gaps in shelves
- greet customers with a "good morning" and ask if theres anything else i can help them with, wish them a good day after they are served
- always be smiling
-ask questions to the manager
- ask if they would like me to work longer after the hour is up?? (not sure about this)

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
How are you going to minimise gaps? This is potentially a bad idea - the store needs to know there are gaps so they can order more. Also brands pay for certain shelf space, so if you move labels to make the gap smaller, potentially you'll get the store into trouble when a brand rep comes. The shelf space will also then by X big, but the product is x+1 big, so time will be wasted putting things right again.

Wear good shoes. You'll be standing and walking lots, so even though it's only an hour you could find that your feet ache afterwards. If you get new shoes then make sure you wear them round the house beforehand to minimize blisters. Wear socks. Don't wear your best shoes or trousers- you'll possibly be on your knees to reach the bottom shelf. so you'll get dusty and shoes scuff extremely quickly.

Smile.

Try to phrase things positively. Instead of saying "I don't know. I'll get someone else" it's much better to say "I'll get Bob to help as I don't know that". Customers hear "I don't know" and think you'll fob them off. Then listen to what Bob says so that you know it for next time (Seriously, it's annoying to have to tell someone things multiple times. You're bound to forget some things, but try to remember the basics). But if you are completely unsure, ask rather than messing it up.

If you're asked to help with bag packing, use common sense. Put heavy items at the bottom, and try to keep cold stuff together.
Reply 2
what i meant with gaps in the shelves is, if i see an item running low on stock, i restock it, if i see an item is low but there is no stock left i would naturally alert the necessary person :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Stee1992
what i meant with gaps in the shelves is, if i see an item running low on stock, i restock it, if i see an item is low but there is no stock left i would naturally alert the necessary person :smile:

They'll have people to check gaps, so won't necessarily appreciate you telling them.
Reply 4
I see, well thanks haha
Reply 5
anyone else got any advice?
Reply 6
One thing I forgot to mention is safety. Safety always comes first!

If you can't reach something, get a ladder (these are only for reaching things in the back, not on the shop floor) or kick stool. If you're facing the top shelf, there will come a point where you have to get down, move and go back up - don't over-reach as you can fall off. If you are using a kick stool don't leave it on the shop floor unattended - customers don't look where they're going and might trip over.

If you're opening boxes you may get given a safety cutter. These are generally safe, but again don't leave it on the shop floor unattended.

Don't carry too much. Large boxes of wine etc are heavy, but are also breakable if dropped. Tins (eg beans) come in large cases which again can be heavy. You shouldn't be expected to do any lifting on your trial as you won't get training, but avoid doing anything dangerous. Don't feel like you have to show off with how much you can lift.

If you see any spillage, don't leave it alone. It's tempting to run off and get cleaning equipment, but someone could slip on it whilst you're gone. Stand over it and warn customers. Try to attract a colleague's attention (which should be easy as you're unlikely to be left alone) and then one of you can guard whilst the other fetches. If a customer interrupts then don't wonder off; it's tempting to go to show them something as you think that's good customer service, but your main priority is the spillage. Things like cream and washing up liquid are sticky and difficult to clean, so don't rush as you might miss a bit.

If you find anything dumped on a random shelf, put it back. However, if it's supposed to be chilled or frozen it can't be sold as it has got warm whilst sitting on the shelf. It needs to be recorded, so don't just throw it away, but there will be a special area to deal with damaged and unsellable products.
Reply 7
Thank you for your advice everyone,

i was offered the job :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending