The Student Room Group

Can relationships with significant gaps work?

Just throwing this out and hope those who has experience in this could share as well. Looking for tips on how this could work.

He

Divorced with several children and had plenty of girlfriends.

Highly educated. Cambridge degree and Harvard MBA.

Had a high flying career in an investment bank before joining the family business. It isn't your usual corner shop type business.

Very conservative Asian family. They are well known in the area and have a reputation of being very entrepreneurial and industrious.

Has lots of expensive hobbies and interests, even his kids are into hobbies that cost 6 figures.

Has lots of social engagements, often see photos of him with plenty of hot girls posted on Facebook.

Goes all out and rarely sits about doing nothing. Often seen at the office till 2 in the morning.

Well presented but not that good looking.

She

Still virgin and never had a single relationship.

2:2 from UWE.

Dead end jobs.

Single parent household at your usual council estate. Mum is one of their production workers. English background and doubt he or his parents gives a second thought about their existence.

Never had any hobbies or interest as never could afford it.

Not many friends but likes to go out. Rarely happens as no money.

Like to stay home.

Good looking.

Probability of it working out?
Reply 1
Anything can work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with age, I don't get why age even comes into it, people place such huge emphasis on age. As long as both people are adults, anything is fine. Relationships succeed or fail not because of the ages of the people involved, but due to many other factors. I've never understood why people get so fussy over age differences.
If they love each other then none of what you mentioned matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
bump
I don't think the age will be relevant. The different backgrounds might be. It sounds like these people are very different in terms of personality and life experience. I think it's unlikely to work out, but who knows.
Reply 5
It really depends on how the two 'click'. From the description, they seem to be the complete opposite from each other but that however can be used as an advantage. If the man doesn't care about the wealth of the woman he is going to have a relationship with or marry then it can definitely work because that seems to be the only boundary which is preventing the woman from 'flourishing' and maybe being a great person, which he seems to be able to provide.

It's all about being open minded and obviously attracted to each other in some way or another.
Thigh gap? Tooth gap?

Oh no you got a 2:2, s/he will spit on you.

TSR is going down the pan...

Edit: assuming OP is one of these people...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18
I don't think the age will be relevant. The different backgrounds might be. It sounds like these people are very different in terms of personality and life experience. I think it's unlikely to work out, but who knows.

This.

The age gap, in the context of everything else listed, is really not an issue. The fact that the OP has even listed the other items and thought about them in some depth suggest that they are the real issues (in aggregate terms), and over the long haul may prove to be problematic.

Of course, it goes without saying that I hope it all works out. One way or another.
I would say as close to 0% as make no difference. He has a lot of family baggage (to put it mildly) and she doesn't have the age or the wisdom to cope in what would be an extremely difficult situation. He might want her for a short term "bit on the side" but nothing more. Run for the hills would be my advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending