The Student Room Group

PGCE - rejected a confirmed place and applying at another university

Hi all!

I have recently completed my undergraduate degree and been awarded a 2.1. However, as I was predicted a 2.2 I applied at universities that are far out due to entry requirements.

I now hold a confirmed offer for a Primary PGCE through apply 2. HOWEVER - My dilemma: now that I have a 2.1, it has opened up universities closer to home who still have vacancies. I am tempted to pull out of a confirmed offer and try again. This is a huuuge risk!!!! I am really thrilled and appreciative holding an offer however due to other circumstances, as well as distance, moving far from home is difficult for me.

Does any have any advice??? (please!) :confused:
At this late stage in the game, it's a huge risk. As universities don't always keep their lists up to date, don't do anything before you confirm with the new universities that those places actually exist and aren't just out of date data.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
At this late stage in the game, it's a huge risk. As universities don't always keep their lists up to date, don't do anything before you confirm with the new universities that those places actually exist and aren't just out of date data.

Hi!

Thank you for your advice! I called the universities on Friday and they said that they still have vacancies. However, as you said, it is a massive risk! :frown:
Original post by pc_853
Hi!

Thank you for your advice! I called the universities on Friday and they said that they still have vacancies. However, as you said, it is a massive risk! :frown:

Well, at least you are making it on the basis of up to date information. I'm afraid the decision is all yours.
It's only nine months, one or two of which are Christmas/Easter. I don't know your situation but, unless there's a serious obstacle (e.g. health, responsibilities at home, money, etc.), you should just take the offer.
Original post by pc_853
Hi all!

I have recently completed my undergraduate degree and been awarded a 2.1. However, as I was predicted a 2.2 I applied at universities that are far out due to entry requirements.

I now hold a confirmed offer for a Primary PGCE through apply 2. HOWEVER - My dilemma: now that I have a 2.1, it has opened up universities closer to home who still have vacancies. I am tempted to pull out of a confirmed offer and try again. This is a huuuge risk!!!! I am really thrilled and appreciative holding an offer however due to other circumstances, as well as distance, moving far from home is difficult for me.

Does any have any advice??? (please!) :confused:

If your happy to risk ending up on a gap year then by all means take the risk, however if your insistent on going this year you'd be foolish not to take your current offer.
Reply 6
Hi maskofsanity and jelly1000! Thank you both for your advice. It is a big decision and after much more consideration I believe I should take up for the offer and start! No need for an unnecessary risk! 😀
Original post by pc_853
Hi maskofsanity and jelly1000! Thank you both for your advice. It is a big decision and after much more consideration I believe I should take up for the offer and start! No need for an unnecessary risk!

Best of luck with it!
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
Best of luck with it!

Thank you!!!
Talk to some of those universities, won't they make you an offer first so you can reject your other?
Reply 10
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Talk to some of those universities, won't they make you an offer first so you can reject your other?

Hello!
No see this is my problem, I have to get the university to reject my offer before I can submit an application. Which would mean I would lose my current offer and hope that the new university would offer me a place. Massive risk. I keep going round in circles trying to make a choice, ha! Was so set on sticking with it yesterday..
Original post by pc_853
Hello!
No see this is my problem, I have to get the university to reject my offer before I can submit an application. Which would mean I would lose my current offer and hope that the new university would offer me a place. Massive risk. I keep going round in circles trying to make a choice, ha! Was so set on sticking with it yesterday..

Ahh right, my bad. Good luck mate!
Reply 12
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Ahh right, my bad. Good luck mate!

Haha, thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending