The Student Room Group

A shocking experience with dentistry/medicine students!!

Scroll to see replies

As I've said a thousand times over on this forum. Med/dent are NOT the big balls alpha males jobs. My mum is a doctor and she is well off but a rather geeky and family orientated.

The BIG BOYS are working in finance. They are the Gordon Gekkos of this world. They earn 15 million a year, and 10 x what a doctor earns in a month

(edited 9 years ago)
Some people actually reject Medicine to pursue a Biological Sciences degree... e.g. myself.

Meds/Dentists really aren't saints. It's realllllly hard to get on to a Med/Dent course but boy oh boy they sure think they are god's gift. Kudos to them for dedicating their life to studying and working towards improving&saving lives though.
Reply 122
Original post by Acidy
No problem. I'm always happy to save the lives of tax payers. :smile:

All tax payers? Self-righteous tax payers are the worst...
Reply 123
Original post by Acidy
Most med students definitely do not take a year out, they get in the first time. You had a much tougher experience than the average applicant.

I'm pretty sure more applicants get rejected than accepted. I think I read that 60% of applicants get 4 rejections.

Original post by Lamptastic
Medics are quite competitive I've heard, at least at the beginning. That's going to be weird as I've had 5 years post undergrad degree working in a crap job and I'm really chilled out about everything. I'm just hoping I keep up.

You get some people like that of course, but I think most of us are in the mindset of 'let's just get through this ****'. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by nohomo
All tax payers? Self-righteous tax payers are the worst...

Yep gotta hate those whiny tax payers who pay for the NHS and actually feel like they have the right to use it.
Reply 125
Original post by Acidy
Yep gotta hate those whiny tax payers who pay for the NHS and actually feel like they have the right to use it.

Why was the fact that the other guy took a gap year in any way relevant to tax payers?
Reply 126
Original post by nohomo
Why was the fact that the other guy took a gap year in any way relevant to tax payers?

Oh I commented on the fact he had to reapply for Medschool. He was sarcastic and I replied accordingly. Whether my sarcasm was viewed objectively is another matter.
Original post by Xotol
You get some people like that of course, but I think most of us are in the mindset of 'let's just get through this ****'. :tongue:

I suspect that will most likely be the case :h: I can handle that!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pectorac
UCAS does not reinforce the idea at all. The deadline for those courses is much earlier because everyone applying for those courses who are short-listed (which is hundreds for every course) will need to be interviewed. Other courses at other universities rarely interview, so there is much less admin, time and paperwork needed to give out offers to these candidates. The process of arranging the interviews, conducting them and then choosing candidates for places after all the interviews are finished over various days (which again is lengthy due to how all the interviews went, running through the transcripts, talking about the good and bad points, making sure the interviews were conducted fairly, etc.) is extremely long. Places like Imperial, LSE and UCL rarely interview for courses which are not medicine. These are the other top universities in the country; are you saying these courses are not as valued by UCAS as the ones you mentioned? Of course not; it's just for practical reasons, not for worth.

This is an irrelevant argument. Other courses with thenormal UCAS closing date of the 15th Jan interview too.

All midwifery and nursing applicants have to be shortlisted and interviewed asa requirement by the NMC!

In my experience, many med students or applicants are arrogant, pretentious *****. As a soon-to-be Neuroscience student it'll be interesting to see what the med students are like (we'll be sharing lectures in year 1).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Carpe Vinum
In my experience, many med students or applicants are arrogant, pretentious *****. As a soon-to-be Neuroscience student it'll be interesting to see what the med students are like (we'll be sharing lectures in year 1).

KCL has the biggest dental school too, double whammy
Original post by TheAnusFiles
As I've said a thousand times over on this forum. Med/dent are NOT the big balls alpha males jobs. My mum is a doctor and she is well off but a rather geeky and family orientated.

The BIG BOYS are working in finance. They are the Gordon Gekkos of this world. They earn 15 million a year, and 10 x what a doctor earns in a month

One creates wealth for society the other destroys it.... how does earning x 10 amounts make it an 'alpha male job'?

Most investment bankers are pretty naive and stupid, they believe they are alpha males for sure, smart and have earnt their money - when in-fact it's all rigged in their favour.

The smartest guys in finance are probably the quantitative analysts and low latency developers, I definitely respect their powers... and they often eventually admit what they work on is both senseless and immoral.
Original post by posthumus
One creates wealth for society the other destroys it.... how does earning x 10 amounts make it an 'alpha male job'?

Most investment bankers are pretty naive and stupid, they believe they are alpha males for sure, smart and have earnt their money - when in-fact it's all rigged in their favour.

The smartest guys in finance are probably the quantitative analysts and low latency developers, I definitely respect their powers... and they often eventually admit what they work on is both senseless and immoral.

I was just saying that I find the attitude of med students to be odd
I have to admit my friends and I have laughed at Bio-med students before. My university doesn't do pharmacy or they would've got laughed at as well. :rofl:
Shame these people make the majority of medicine/dentistry students seem bad. I'm a dental student and I've said to my housemates (who do a large range of courses from physics to politics and English) that I wouldn't be able to do what they do. I'd be rubbish at it all! Every person is different and has their own strengths. My view on it is if we didn't have people doing eg physics for example, we wouldn't have any physicists! I also have friends from home who are waitresses etc and if we didn't have them, who would take our orders at restaurants and things! I'd like to think maybe I've been bought up well and that's why I have that opinion on people- it doesn't matter to me what you study/do for a living, I couldn't care less!
I think BioMed etc may be seen this way because it's often used as a route into graduate entry medicine/dentistry. I'd like to think that's why anyway. When I first came here I got looked down on by medics because I wasn't dripping in A*s and was a 'medic reject'. Never applied for medicine and never wanted to either.

Think about all that before you laugh at someone. Why do people laugh at people? I don't understand it. Is your life that sad that it's the only thing you have to laugh at other people to entertain yourself?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by letsbehonest
I wish that was the case.
were*
Original post by Jenniferann232
Shame these people make the majority of medicine/dentistry students seem bad. I'm a dental student and I've said to my housemates (who do a large range of courses from physics to politics and English) that I wouldn't be able to do what they do. I'd be rubbish at it all! Every person is different and has their own strengths. My view on it is if we didn't have people doing eg physics for example, we wouldn't have any physicists! I also have friends from home who are waitresses etc and if we didn't have them, who would take our orders at restaurants and things! I'd like to think maybe I've been bought up well and that's why I have that opinion on people- it doesn't matter to me what you study/do for a living, I couldn't care less!
I think BioMed etc may be seen this way because it's often used as a route into graduate entry medicine/dentistry. I'd like to think that's why anyway. When I first came here I got looked down on by medics because I wasn't dripping in A*s and was a 'medic reject'. Never applied for medicine and never wanted to either.

Think about all that before you laugh at someone. Why do people laugh at people? I don't understand it. Is your life that sad that it's the only thing you have to laugh at other people to entertain yourself?

How is a dentistry student a medicine reject? They're both AAA at pretty much every university, they're equally competitive and their application process is basically the same
Original post by Marky Mark
I have to admit my friends and I have laughed at Bio-med students before. My university doesn't do pharmacy or they would've got laughed at as well. :rofl:

You're clearly incredibly insecure
Original post by alevelzzz
How is a dentistry student a medicine reject? They're both AAA at pretty much every university, they're equally competitive and their application process is basically the same

Exactly! That's what the medics said (that I was a medicine reject) :tongue:
Original post by Jenniferann232
Exactly! That's what the medics said (that I was a medicine reject) :tongue:

Really? I've never heard a med student say that before about dentistry students

Quick Reply

Latest