The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Accomodation for University of Sheffield, sharing a bathroom

Hi guys, I was looking at university of Sheffield accommodation I was wondering for those who have stayed in shared bathrooms what is it like? Is it as bad as everyone makes it out to be and is it possible you can pick if you are mixed or just with females/males? I can't find any photo's of the accommodation on-line so I would be very grateful if someone could give me a description of the place!

Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by SophieLaw_
Hi guys, I was looking at university of Sheffield accommodation I was wondering for those who have stayed in shared bathrooms what is it like? Is it as bad as everyone makes it out to be and is it possible you can pick if you are mixed or just with females/males? I can't find any photo's of the accommodation on-line so I would be very grateful if someone could give me a description of the place!

It's not too bad, it takes a while for everyone to sort out their shower routine so try to go in early at first. Other than that I had no problems which couldn't have happened if I had an en-suite.

You can choose which of mixed or single sex you'd prefer however whether you'll actually get that is a different matter. While they say it's not first come, first serve, the people I met who booked later, went through clearing or got lower than their offer tended to get worse accomodation.
Reply 3

I contacted uni of sheff accom and they say that 7 people share the showers but there is two shower rooms also, normally single sexs share the bathroom but if it is mixed sex's they agree to stick to one of the two showers throughout the year.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieLaw_

Hey, I was in a shared bathroom last year so I hope I can give you a bit of info. Because you're sharing a bathroom, they don't give the option of mixing genders.

Sharing bathrooms isn't as bad as you think it is, although it is a little inconvenient initially due to having to carry everything with you back and forth each time, you do get use to it. I must say, I didn't have the best bathrooms because I was living in one of the oldest accommodation there (Stephenson Hall) in our block we had 18 guys sharing 3 showers and 4 toilets! These bathrooms were similar to public bathrooms as in, they had cubicles for toilets and showers. I personally didn't like the cubicle style as the toilets are right next to each other so it can get a bit awkward when you're sitting on the toilet and theres an unknown guy right next to you doing the same thing in silent, I dunno, thats just me... I also enjoy some privacy when Im in the bathroom. There were skid marks on toilets and some even clogged up. The showers are pretty decent although the area can be a bit damp if you're using it right after someone.
Clashing didn't really happen very often which was surprising for me, it's because everyones timetable is different so people wake up at different times, also some people take it at night.
Initially you may not like it and you may get jealous of people with en-suits who have everything to themselves but you do get used to it quickly.

If you want to know anything more, feel free to ask me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending