The Student Room Group

Which Banks have the best travel ops?

I'm guessing if they have a mining or oil division, there are travel ops - anyone know of any specific places?
Reply 1
Original post by Sifr
I'm guessing if they have a mining or oil division, there are travel ops - anyone know of any specific places?

If travel is important to you then why pick working for a bank?
Original post by Sifr

Market makers like optiver have the best travel opportunities. In Europe they are only based in Amsterdam, so the sales guys are always travelling around to meet their clients.
I would say you travel more when the firm/bank has less offices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by M1011
If travel is important to you then why pick working for a bank?

Excuse me for being curious. Relax :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Sifr
Excuse me for being curious. Relax :biggrin:

At what point wasn't I relaxed? :confused:

Don't come to a forum asking questions then stick up an attitude when a perfectly valid probing question is asked. Gawd darn it now I'm mad##!#!! :angry:
Go be a consultant if "glamorous" business travel is your goal.
Reply 6
Original post by M1011
At what point wasn't I relaxed? :confused:

Don't come to a forum asking questions then stick up an attitude when a perfectly valid probing question is asked. Gawd darn it now I'm mad##!#!! :angry:

I think when I read your first comment, I read it in a mean tone. Apologies sir, I honestly don't have an attitude! You're right it was a valid question, but my response was valid too - curiosity! It doesn't really play an important role in my decision, was genuinely curious :smile:
I hope you're not made at me anymore!
Reply 7
Original post by Sifr
I think when I read your first comment, I read it in a mean tone. Apologies sir, I honestly don't have an attitude! You're right it was a valid question, but my response was valid too - curiosity! It doesn't really play an important role in my decision, was genuinely curious :smile:
I hope you're not made at me anymore!

Haha, no worries. I have found my inner peace again :tongue:
Ah.. traveling in investment banking.. business / first class flights, expensive scotch in the air, car service to pick you up and staying in 5 start hostels in Paris, Dubai, NYC and Singapore? Not so much.

When working at a bank in London / Frankfurt / Paris, chances are high that you are only traveling within Europe (yes, yes, there are exceptions but I'm talking about the standard case) which means putting together that presentation until 3am on the night before, then heading to the airport at 6am, flying over to Stockholm / Milan / Barcelona / you name it for 2/3h hours while catching up on sleep. Airport pickup at 9am straight to the client's office, meeting at 10am (=writing meeting notes at analyst level + trying to stay awake), car back to the airport at 6pm, consolidating the meeting notes while on the plane to send them around as soon as you enter the office, completing follow up tasks and other projects until midnight, heading home and be back at 9am.

Don't know about you, but doesn't sound too glorious to me. Traveling in IB sucks, just saying..
Reply 9
Original post by surfmonkey
Ah.. traveling in investment banking.. business / first class flights, expensive scotch in the air, car service to pick you up and staying in 5 start hostels in Paris, Dubai, NYC and Singapore? Not so much.

When working at a bank in London / Frankfurt / Paris, chances are high that you are only traveling within Europe (yes, yes, there are exceptions but I'm talking about the standard case) which means putting together that presentation until 3am on the night before, then heading to the airport at 6am, flying over to Stockholm / Milan / Barcelona / you name it for 2/3h hours while catching up on sleep. Airport pickup at 9am straight to the client's office, meeting at 10am (=writing meeting notes at analyst level + trying to stay awake), car back to the airport at 6pm, consolidating the meeting notes while on the plane to send them around as soon as you enter the office, completing follow up tasks and other projects until midnight, heading home and be back at 9am.

Don't know about you, but doesn't sound too glorious to me. Traveling in IB sucks, just saying..

All this is true - I think I travelled about 3 times in my first 3 years of banking - twice within Europe and once to NY for training. It's not that kind of job until you get more senior unless you're in emerging market sales or something - then you've got a better shot at a junior level.

Agree also with Tokyoround - consulting does the most travel. A friend of mine was seconded to a pretty dire small UK town from a London consulting house though - that must rankle if you've joined to travel...

Bb^
To know about which bank is having best travel option then its better you search in internet you will get better answer from there or you can say that you will get an appropriate solution to your question. Well I never choose bank for travelling.
Original post by Bb^
All this is true - I think I travelled about 3 times in my first 3 years of banking - twice within Europe and once to NY for training. It's not that kind of job until you get more senior unless you're in emerging market sales or something - then you've got a better shot at a junior level.

Agree also with Tokyoround - consulting does the most travel. A friend of mine was seconded to a pretty dire small UK town from a London consulting house though - that must rankle if you've joined to travel...

Bb^

Which division is this? IBD?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tokyoround
Go be a consultant if "glamorous" business travel is your goal.

A consultant in what though? :s-smilie:

In all honesty I rarely understood consultants, don't see the use for them although that's most likely because I have no clue :lol:
Reply 13
Original post by diracdeltafunc
Which division is this? IBD?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending