The Student Room Group

My relationship is suffering because of work and tiredness; what can I do?

(edited 9 years ago)
Break it off. If he cannot see how much stress and work you're under then he's not worth it especially when you keep telling him about it. It sounds like you're having to sacrifice a lot just to keep him from fully having a bitch fit. People like that aren't worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Malevolent
Break it off. If he cannot see how much stress and work you're under then he's not worth it especially when you keep telling him about it. It sounds like you're having to sacrifice a lot just to keep him from fully having a bitch fit. People like that aren't worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like I am having to sacrifice a lot. Do you not see any way forward? Thanks.
Original post by Aquacel
I feel like I am having to sacrifice a lot. Do you not see any way forward? Thanks.

Relationships are about compromise but right now it looks like yours is a one way street. Unless he stops being so selfish and grows up then I think it won't work. You're not doing anything wrong.
Reply 4
He should be supporting you, not making you feel bad. And damn right your course is your priority right now. If he's making your life worse rather than better then you need to consider how you move forwards.
Reply 5
Original post by Sarky
He should be supporting you, not making you feel bad. And damn right your course is your priority right now. If he's making your life worse rather than better then you need to consider how you move forwards.

Thank you. What would you do in my situation?
Original post by Aquacel
x

i agree with what others have said. plus also at your age, relationships are relatively new, you have all the time in the world to date around and meet new people, so if someone right now is draining you or not making you happy, you shouldnt feel bad for removing that negativity from your life. what does he do for a job or is he a student also? sometimes if our partner doesnt have much to do in their own life, such as a lack of friends or hobbies, they latch on and the only thing they have to focus their energy on is you and the relationship. so i wouldnt say you're really doing anything wrong here, its normal as you get older to see your partner less due to other commitments, but the way couples make it work is to compromise and be understanding. plus seeing someone too often gets boring anyways.

one of my friends moved to england to be with their partner, she worked a job which was long hours, she wouldnt get home til say 1am or midnight, so her partner would already be asleep and she'd leave early in the morning too. she ended up quitting this job because they werent spending 'enough' time together as a couple. it turned out her partner was on dating sites among other things, so she left her and had to move back home. i wouldnt say her job had anything to do with that, but all im saying is she quit and changed her life to suit someone else, and it still wasnt good enough and she ended up sacrificing things for her partner just to have to walk away.

but yeah, youre young, i know you might care about this person, but leaving them now if you choose to isnt the end of the world right? youll meet plenty of other people. enjoy being young and free before youre tied down!
Reply 7
Original post by Aquacel
Thank you. What would you do in my situation?

I'd tell my partner to stop being so unsupportive and selfish. If they couldn't then they could foxtrot oscar. But I've got 10 years on you and it comes with a certain level of confidence and knowing that I would be happier alone than being dragged down. Not saying you don't have that but I couldn't have done it 10 years ago!
Reply 8
Original post by Chocolatesoup
i agree with what others have said. plus also at your age, relationships are relatively new, you have all the time in the world to date around and meet new people, so if someone right now is draining you or not making you happy, you shouldnt feel bad for removing that negativity from your life. what does he do for a job or is he a student also? sometimes if our partner doesnt have much to do in their own life, such as a lack of friends or hobbies, they latch on and the only thing they have to focus their energy on is you and the relationship. so i wouldnt say you're really doing anything wrong here, its normal as you get older to see your partner less due to other commitments, but the way couples make it work is to compromise and be understanding. plus seeing someone too often gets boring anyways.

one of my friends moved to england to be with their partner, she worked a job which was long hours, she wouldnt get home til say 1am or midnight, so her partner would already be asleep and she'd leave early in the morning too. she ended up quitting this job because they werent spending 'enough' time together as a couple. it turned out her partner was on dating sites among other things, so she left her and had to move back home. i wouldnt say her job had anything to do with that, but all im saying is she quit and changed her life to suit someone else, and it still wasnt good enough and she ended up sacrificing things for her partner just to have to walk away.

but yeah, youre young, i know you might care about this person, but leaving them now if you choose to isnt the end of the world right? youll meet plenty of other people. enjoy being young and free before youre tied down!

Thank you. He's a student but he's on a standard degree course, so he gets the long uni holidays whereas I have to work through the summer. It does seem that his main focus is me, but he's never up for compromise.

What should I do in terms of talking to him and is there a away to get through this?
Original post by Aquacel
Thank you. He's a student but he's on a standard degree course, so he gets the long uni holidays whereas I have to work through the summer. It does seem that his main focus is me, but he's never up for compromise.

What should I do in terms of talking to him and is there a away to get through this?

well the fact that you set aside one whole day to see him imo is enough, if youve made that arrangement then its a bit unfair for him to expect more from you. i can understand from his pov that if youre tired it might be hard for him if he's full of energy and looks forward to seeing you and you just crash out or ko, but if youre guaranteeing him one day a week then all you can really do is remind him of that. if you really want it to work, maybe you could do small gestures which will show you really do care and prove that to him, but at the same time remind him that this is your life right now and you arent in control of your hours, and that youd appreciate his support. the best way to approach it is to keep saying how you feel, rather than attacking him, for example 'i feel like you dont understand my situation..' or 'i feel like i give you one whole day a week but to me its not good enough for you when its the best i can do' etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending