The Student Room Group

Was told to pick a career

And I didn't know what to do
I'm now going into year 11 and I guess I always wanted to do something in medicine or something, but i'll be honest with you, i don't have strong grade, i'm a b- student at best, i don't motivate myself to do any form of good work or revise however it struck me that i really need to up my game in year 11, though that being said i might have to do foundation for maths, so please tell me honestly, do i even stand a chance

subjects that i am good at are humanity subjects like sociology and history though

Scroll to see replies

Relax you don't have to have your life plan by 16/17. Most people change a few times. Only stuff like Medicine and Dentistry would you really know by GCSE's.

Foundation maths you can still get a C so concentrate on getting a C. Yes it will mean you most likely can't do maths but as you said Humanities is your strong point so focus on something there! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Malevolent
Relax you don't have to have your life plan by 16/17. Most people change a few times. Only stuff like Medicine and Dentistry would you really know by GCSE's.

Foundation maths you can still get a C so concentrate on getting a C. Yes it will mean you most likely can't do maths but as you said Humanities is your strong point so focus on something there! :h:

thanks man, but i would like to do something practical e.g medicine etc.
Original post by Zeroic
thanks man, but i would like to do something practical e.g medicine etc.

Then you need to get your grades up which isn't impossible :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Malevolent
Then you need to get your grades up which isn't impossible :smile:

i guess so man, thanks, thing is i will have to buckle down badly, though even i think it sounds unrealistic
Original post by Zeroic
i guess so man, thanks, thing is i will have to buckle down badly, though even i think it sounds unrealistic

Yeah you will need to but seriously anything is possible if you put enough work into it and even if you in the end don't do it then at least you know you tried!
If you want to work in the medical field, you could look at other courses like optometry or radiography. You're still working in similar environments but there isn't the same demand for top grades at GCSE and A-level. I don't know of any of those courses that demand specific GCSE grades (some might require a B in GCSE maths though).

A lot of the medicine courses require A*s and As at GCSE. So you'd really need to work hard to pull your grades up and continue working hard through A-levels.
Reply 7
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
If you want to work in the medical field, you could look at other courses like optometry or radiography. You're still working in similar environments but there isn't the same demand for top grades at GCSE and A-level. I don't know of any of those courses that demand specific GCSE grades (some might require a B in GCSE maths though).

A lot of the medicine courses require A*s and As at GCSE. So you'd really need to work hard to pull your grades up and continue working hard through A-levels.

i know this, but i generally feel i'm not naturally gifted in subjects, i do science set 3 but it's set 1 double science and i'm average, maths im just rubbish at
Reply 8
Yeah maybe instead of medicine think about something else that comes under healthcare or medical science. I mean, it is perfectly possible to get into medical school with Bs at GCSE but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage and you'd really have to prove yourself at A-level to stand a chance. Some healthcare science degrees only require one science A-level, for example I'm planning on applying for audiology and I only need one science (maths, physics, chemistry, biology or psychology) and the entry requirements are AAB which you're probably capable of achieving, so maybe look into that? But if medicine is really what you wanna do, don't give up just yet, maybe try and speak to some current medical students/applicants to see what they think.
Reply 9
Original post by Zeroic
And I didn't know what to do
I'm now going into year 11 and I guess I always wanted to do something in medicine or something, but i'll be honest with you, i don't have strong grade, i'm a b- student at best, i don't motivate myself to do any form of good work or revise however it struck me that i really need to up my game in year 11, though that being said i might have to do foundation for maths, so please tell me honestly, do i even stand a chance

subjects that i am good at are humanity subjects like sociology and history though

This isn't meant to be offensive:

If you're not really good at science, then medicine probably isn't for you. If you prefer humanities then study them instead! If you're going to go to University, then you have years left until you need to pick a really specific career (unless it's medicine, in which case, go back to the top of this post).You have time to choose.
Reply 10
Original post by lerjj

If you're not really good at science, then medicine probably isn't for you. If you prefer humanities then study them instead! If you're going to go to University, then you have years left until you need to pick a really specific career (unless it's medicine, in which case, go back to the top of this post).You have time to choose.

yeah yeah no offence taken man, but i dont know any good and decent looking careers i can get with humanity studies.
Reply 11
Original post by Zeroic
yeah yeah no offence taken man, but i dont know any good and decent looking careers i can get with humanity studies.

Neither do I (other than law I suppose)...

The fact is though, that lots of people take humanity degrees, and they all end up getting some kind of job, so they must exist. At the start of Y11 I wanted to do medicine, now I want to do something more related to physics even though I'm not really aware of what jobs are available. I know that seems kinda dumb, but there is still time left to discover.
Original post by lerjj

I suppose with medicine this is a problem to some degree - academic ability at a young age generally and in specific subjects. I believe this is often determined by a lot of factors outside the child's volition; such as socio-economic status and parental education.

Having said that, being mediocre at something doesn't mean that you can't go for it. I was pretty average at science (CCD physics, bio, and chem) and indeed everything else (but better at the humanities, BBC lang, history, and lit); but now I have a first class degree in science starting training to become a (clinical) cognitive neuroscientist or similar.

Point being... GCSE's don't really mean s#*t :smile:... unless wanting to apply to oxbridge or go into medicine or perhaps law. Though, currently, both have access postgraduate (though may stop).
Reply 13
Original post by lerjj
Neither do I (other than law I suppose)...

The fact is though, that lots of people take humanity degrees, and they all end up getting some kind of job, so they must exist. At the start of Y11 I wanted to do medicine, now I want to do something more related to physics even though I'm not really aware of what jobs are available. I know that seems kinda dumb, but there is still time left to discover.

fair enough man, i've wanted to something medicine or atleast respected
Reply 14
Original post by hellodave5
I suppose with medicine this is a problem to some degree - academic ability at a young age generally and in specific subjects. I believe this is often determined by a lot of factors outside the child's volition; such as socio-economic status and parental education.

Having said that, being mediocre at something doesn't mean that you can't go for it. I was pretty average at science (CCD physics, bio, and chem) and indeed everything else (but better at the humanities, BBC lang, history, and lit); but now I have a first class degree in science starting training to become a (clinical) cognitive neuroscientist or similar.

Point being... GCSE's don't really mean s#*t :smile:... unless wanting to apply to oxbridge or go into medicine or perhaps law. Though, currently, both have access postgraduate (though may stop).

i wouldn't mind law, though you really need good gcses for it?
Reply 15
Original post by hellodave5

Well done! I know GCSEs are quite a shallow assessment, my point was that if you're doing foundation maths, then you *might* not be cut out for medicine. Of course, you can get over this with lots of hard work, but if you significantly prefer history, English and foreign languages, maybe you should just take them instead? Dunno, I'm probably too young to have a proper opinion.
Reply 16
Original post by Zeroic

not sure. I had a look at some unis a while back and I don't remember them mentioning GCSEs that much. They will expect you to be smart (obviously), so getting C and Ds might form a bad impression, but I think they mainly look at A levels. There's probably a forum somewhere on here about getting into law.
Reply 17
You either need to buck up and work harder or accept your weaknesses and just do things you're good at. I'm not a natural with science and maths either but I wanted to do medicine so I worked hard. You either want it or you don't. And there's nothing wrong with not wanting it.
Reply 18
Original post by Sarky
You either need to buck up and work harder or accept your weaknesses and just do things you're good at. I'm not a natural with science and maths either but I wanted to do medicine so I worked hard. You either want it or you don't. And there's nothing wrong with not wanting it.

thanks, ill try to use this as motivation
Original post by Zeroic

Generally speaking Law courses, from my limited knowledge, are very selective for Law LLB courses... and so would take some consideration of GCSE's. For law you could definitely bring up your application through good A levels and some experience in a law related environment.
Applications to medicine sort of expect a bit of experience in medicine before starting the course - though they accept that it is often difficult to attain direct experience with patients.

Quick Reply

Latest