The Student Room Group

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula
I don't think sports day should ever be compulsory, but to suggest that they should be banned is just silly.
I rather enjoyed spirits day at secondary school - we always got to spend the afternoon outside in the sunshine (every single year wad beautiful weather) cheering on those who were competing for our house.

What kind of school did you go to? :s-smilie:
Reply 121
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What kind of school did you go to? :s-smilie:

Well that's what I get for posting on my ipad and not checking it through before pressing send :rolleyes:
Original post by Aula
Well that's what I get for posting on my ipad and not checking it through before pressing send :rolleyes:

I would totally watch a load of hammered children play sports :tongue:
Reply 123
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I would totally watch a load of hammered children play sports :tongue:

That would definitely have made participation more amusing.
I hate sports day.
I always come last.
I suck at all the events and everyone has to do something.

Also. It's stupidly competitive and everyone hates you if you loose.
Original post by zippity.doodah
every heard of a little thing called parental responsibility?
if exercise is so important, and we publicise educational facilities, should be publicise gymnasiums for kiddies as well?

Yes and the lack of parental responsibility is exactly why the government should intervene and make the teaching of sport, fitness, healthy eating, etc compulsory throughout school.

If you are referring to a gym for kids then no obviously not, that would be a silly suggestion. However publicising taking part in sports, being active and eating healthy is something that is definitely important and worthwhile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unsworth
Yes and the lack of parental responsibility is exactly why the government should intervene and make the teaching of sport, fitness, healthy eating, etc compulsory throughout school.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying; it's their (the parents') responsibility. not mine as a tax payer, because they're not my kids nor other tax payers' kids.
Original post by zippity.doodah
I don't think you understand what I'm saying; it's their (the parents') responsibility. not mine as a tax payer, because they're not my kids nor other tax payers' kids.

So is it also the parents responsibility to teach their kids how to read, write, multiply, divide and do algebra, rather than the governments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unsworth
So is it also the parents responsibility to teach their kids how to read, write, multiply, divide and do algebra, rather than the governments?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ever heard of private education?
Original post by Aula
And it's brilliant when that happens. I'm not going to deny that.
On the other hand, when you always come in last and there's no one supporting you, it's just demoralising... Even at primary school I never used to get any of the "well done!" or "congratulations" stickers. And my lack of ability is genetic, it's not due to being overweight, so those two factors are not always connected.

I hear what you are saying, I was overweight in primary school and I was always rubbish at sports, but I think exercise is important and schools have a duty to incorporate it into education. I understand that not every child is good at sport, but I think sports days are a good way of saying to kids that sport can be fun. Yes, not every kid will find exercise fun, but at least it's teaching them that it is important. I hate every second I spend at the gym, but I do it because I know it is good for me.
I was never particularly fond of Sports Day either but I only had them in primary school fortunately. When I was in my last year of primary school, I got made a captain of a team which I pretty much hated! I had to do all the events first to demonstrate for the younger ones and ended up messing up because I didn't know what to do and they all seemed angry hahaha. A bit stupid if you ask me but it was never as bad as I anticipated, I just laughed at myself because it was kind of fun! As for banning it, I'm thinking that's maybe a bit extreme.
Reply 131
I wouldn't mind tbh. It was always pretty **** for me. All they ever did was play athletics. I couldn't care less about 100 metre runs and all that crap. I wanted to do sports like football, cricket, tennis not athletics.
Some schools would have no one doing the sports day if it wasn't compulsory...mainly from the fact that we're all getting lazier! I have just participated in an 'alternative sports day' with fun things like tug of way, mini golf, pacing oranges round a circle with just your chin! It was done so we would all have to interact and learn to work as a group, even if we didn't know those people that well. So no, I don't think it should be banned, just made more fun!
I'd say everyone in Year 1 should participate, then in subsequent years, only those good at the event(s) need to participate. PE lessons can take care of the rest :smile:
How else are we supposed to find future sports stars if youre banning something like this?
Reply 135
I would have been over the moon if Sports Day was banned. :lol: I despised it - I was never any good at track and field events, and I hate any type of competitive sport.

I'm all for fitness and keeping kids healthy, but I would have been a lot happier if they'd just sent us off to the gym twice a week instead of playing netball in the rain, or going to Sports Day. :frown:
Original post by Hariex
I, like most other young people in Britain, have just participated in the annual Sports Day. Being somebody who is not particularly gifted in sport, I have never enjoyed a Sports Day nor have I been successful in my chosen events. Understandably, the prospect of being humiliated in front of your school is not something to look forward to.

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned/compulsory? If someone were to suggest that everyone has to play an instrument in front of the entire school, everyone would consider it baloney. Why it is different for sport, I don't know.

I assume that most people would say that sports day is fantastic for the "together-ness" of the day. However, in my experience, it is remarkably easy to avoid events or the actual day itself. The participants in the races are, naturally, people who are good at sport.

I think that the communal aspect is great, however, I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.

What do you think?

I don't see what is wrong with that suggestion.

If you don't want to be seen as being bad at something, practice.
Reply 137
Original post by karmacrunch
I thought Sports Day was optional? :confused:

Was compulsory at my school.

(provided you turned up of course : P)
No. Suck it up and be a waterboy if you don't like it. Or play hooky.
If you think something should be banned because you suck at it, or because you think it's unfair, you are part of the problem with society.
Original post by Hariex
I, like most other young people in Britain, have just participated in the annual Sports Day. Being somebody who is not particularly gifted in sport, I have never enjoyed a Sports Day nor have I been successful in my chosen events. Understandably, the prospect of being humiliated in front of your school is not something to look forward to.

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned/compulsory? If someone were to suggest that everyone has to play an instrument in front of the entire school, everyone would consider it baloney. Why it is different for sport, I don't know.

I assume that most people would say that sports day is fantastic for the "together-ness" of the day. However, in my experience, it is remarkably easy to avoid events or the actual day itself. The participants in the races are, naturally, people who are good at sport.

I think that the communal aspect is great, however, I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.

What do you think?

No they shouldn't be banned. Sports days are very important in helping young people decide which members of the opposite sex to date and reproduce with. It is especially important for women to determine which men are the fittest for reproductive purposes and which men are the weakest so they can avoid reproducing with these males.

Quick Reply

Latest