The Student Room Group

comma splicing

Hey guys! Basically I've been informed by my previous teacher that I cannot use a comma without using conjunction. I have never came across this rule before! I do feel less confident while using commas now. I don't always feel like using and,but,or,for,so,yet after using a comma as I like to use better words that bring more to my work. I am starting university this year, and to be honest I have never had a problem with punctuation before and all of a sudden my previous teacher told me how I can't use any other word after a comma, unless it's conjunction. She said its comma splicing apparently. -___0

I have never used this rule while at 6th form during completing many essays, and not once have I ever got graded down for not using this method. So is this true? :frown: Or can I use a comma sometimes without using conjunction? I am Going to be studying law also, so I'm kind of ****ting myself!

If any of you university students don't use this method while using a coma then please let me know, so I can relax a little bit :s-smilie:
Well I never used this rule on my personal statement either, so I'm bound to know how to use a comma correctly right? I just don't feel confident anymore. If I never used this method on my personal statement then it would have declined all of my university offers, and I had received all unconditional and conditional offers.
So that must prove I am using commas correctly?
Reply 2
Original post by Highfiveyou
Well I never used this rule on my personal statement either, so I'm bound to know how to use a comma correctly right? I just don't feel confident anymore. If I never used this method on my personal statement then it would have declined all of my university offers, and I had received all unconditional and conditional offers.
So that must prove I am using commas correctly?

Comma splicing is more of an old fashioned rule. So in the current climate of "txt tlk" it's not important -many people can't differentiate between their and there, or don't know which witch is which. So no, getting offers does not mean your personal statement was definitely grammatically correct. It just means you're errors weren't as bad as other's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's old fashioned then is it necessary today? Or can I use a coma with out adding conjunction?
Sometimes I can't flow my sentences by always using: and, but,or,for,so,yet. If you get what I mean?
Hey guys! Basically I've been informed by my previous teacher that I cannot use a comma without using conjunction. I have never came across this rule before! I do feel less confident while using commas now. I don't always feel like using and,but,or,for,so,yet after using a comma as I like to use better words that bring more to my work. I am starting university this year, and to be honest I have never had a problem with punctuation before and all of a sudden my previous teacher told me how I can't use any other word after a comma, unless it's conjunction. She said its comma splicing apparently. -___0

I have never used this rule while at 6th form during completing many essays, and not once have I ever got graded down for not using this method. So is this true? :frown: Or can I use a comma sometimes without using conjunction? I am Going to be studying law also, so I'm kind of ****ting myself!

If any of you university students don't use this method while using a coma then please let me know, so I can relax a little bit :s-smilie:

To anyone whose mother tongue is English, the proper usage of commas should be obvious. Your teacher is probably very narrow-minded. It's far better to go with what sounds right than to stick to some very restrictive and unhelpful rule.
Original post by TritonSails
To anyone whose mother tongue is English, the proper usage of commas should be obvious. Your teacher is probably very narrow-minded. It's far better to go with what sounds right than to stick to some very restrictive and unhelpful rule.

I don't know why, but I feel less confident now. How would you use a comma of you don't mind me asking? I haven't had a problem with commas before just thinking about it makes me nervous. Considering I will have to write up essays in uni this year!! I know how to use every other punctuation but commas are my main problem and I don't want to place them in the wrong place.
Well if I do make errors like comma splicing in university then I will get marked down. Omg I feel physically sick I hate making mistakes I'm a perfectionist that's my problem.

Show me how you guys would use commas? My teacher also said I can't put them anywhere. The general rule was put them where you expect to take a breath, and now even that sounds like an error.
Well if I do make errors like comma splicing in university then I will get marked down. Omg I feel physically sick I hate making mistakes I'm a perfectionist that's my problem.

Show me how you guys would use commas? My teacher also said I can't put them anywhere. The general rule was put them where you expect to take a breath, and now even that sounds like an error.

You won't get marked down for using commas wrongly. It won't reflect well on you, but it won't immediately trigger a penalty.

It should just be intuitively obvious to anyone who reads. Don't sweat it. Have a look at this website if you like: http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

If you're still worried, read some newspaper articles and look at how they use commas.
Thanks trintonsails

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending