The Student Room Group

The pill or the patch?

Which one is more effective and better side effects-wise? The patch seems to be a sensible option for me as I'm already on other medication for a condition I have, but still I'm not sure which one is better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The patch has the same effectiveness as the combined pill... which is not surprising, since it's giving you a dosage of both oestrogen and progesterone like the combined pill.

You may get different ones with the pill compared to the patch, but overall, the side-effects are similar.

The advantage of the patch is you don't need to remember to take a pill 21/28 days, and it's there as a visible reminder.

The disadvantage of the patch is that it's there as a visible reminder, and you need to change / remove it every week.

Have you considered the implant?
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.

I did consider an implant but to be honest I'd rather go for something I can stop whenever I want to if it, for example, doesn't work well (in terms of side effects) with medication I'm already on. Also the prospect of having something under your skin all the time is a bit off-putting for me.
Reply 3
The effectiveness is the same, however there's several types of the combined pill so if you don't get on with one you could try another that might be more suitable whereas theres only one type of patch. Have you considered nova ring? It uses the same hormones as the combined pill and patch but is suppose to be less likely to have negative side effects as the hormones are more localised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gemmam
The effectiveness is the same, however there's several types of the combined pill so if you don't get on with one you could try another that might be more suitable whereas theres only one type of patch. Have you considered nova ring? It uses the same hormones as the combined pill and patch but is suppose to be less likely to have negative side effects as the hormones are more localised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is having the ring inserted comfortable?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Is having the ring inserted comfortable?

Ive never had it so I cant say personally. I dont imagine it would be uncomfortable though; its a plastic ring you insert into your vagina and have in for 3 weeks, remove for a week to have a withdrawal bleed like with the patch and combined pill and then put a new one in after that week. More information on it here:

http://www.brook.org.uk/index.php/contraception/types-of-contraception/vaginal-ring-nuvaring

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest