The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Isn't that then there choice to make? Should you not be spending time with more like minded people?

I'm not a Muslim but I can imagine that it is only partly there choice but there parents choice handed down to them, and from the generation before them and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not muslim, just FYI:

How could you eat this cute thing?!

cute-piglet-ONN.jpg
Original post by iamintorture
Everything is a no no , by this I specifically mean Muslims, no alcohol, no pork, no music (sometimes), no sex, no fun! Life is too short. Whenever I'm out with my Muslim friends I actually feel like sorry for them since they haven't actually lived. What if there's no afterlife?!

Lol...most practicing Muslims say the same thing about non-muslims

Why do they waste their life away partying and doing drugs?
What's the point of entering into a relationship just for pleasure purposes?
Why do they require trash music to stimulate them?
Why have they got no individuality?
Why do they spend their time worshiping celebrities?
Why are they so engrossed in entertainment?

I'm pretty sure they'd find you quite boring if sex, alcohol, parties - is your idea of fun.

There's no need to feel sorry for them, they have a different outlook on life.
You cannot superimpose your idea of fun. For Muslims, life can be fun, but is not to be solely lived for that purpose. What if there is an afterlife/some form of retribution?

(From An Athiest)
Reply 4
Original post by ChocolateFace123

I'm pretty sure they'd find you quite boring if sex, alcohol, parties - is your idea of fun.

You cannot superimpose your idea of fun. For Muslims, life can be fun, but is not to be solely lived for that purpose. What if there is an afterlife/some form of retribution?

(From An Athiest)

Nail on the head. Excellent post.
After living both lifestyles I can honestly say there is no real noticeable difference.

I have just as much fun following Islam as I did when I didn't.
Reply 6
I am religious but everything is done for all their own wish. All have independence.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
After living both lifestyles I can honestly say there is no real noticeable difference.

I have just as much fun following Islam as I did when I didn't.

Yeah but at least you made an informed choice. These people haven't even tried it so how can they be so judgemental.

(From An Athiest)

Why are there negative connotations in your posts, I never said anything about drugs or trash music...
Yeah but at least you made an informed choice. These people haven't even tried it so how can they be so judgemental.

In all fairness, I know sticking a knife in my face isn't a good life choice...I have never done it though.

An extreme example I know

The argument that you need to experience drinking/partying/promiscuity etc to make an informed decision however is a false one.
Why are there negative connotations in your posts, I never said anything about drugs or trash music...

You mentioned Alcohol, alcohol is a drug and responsible for more deaths, violence, criminal damage, health problems and police/medical time yearly than any other drug.

That's such a cliché often spouted by religious people. The majority of people do not waste away their lives partying and doing drugs

A lot of people don't listen to trash music, this seems like another cliché

No individuality? As opposed to what? People who all follow the same religion, all believe the same thing and follow the same rules? Yeah, how individual :rolleyes:

Instead of worshipping an arrogant, petty, evil, psychotic, needy, megalomaniacal God? I know which one I'd prefer :dontknow:

There's nothing wrong with entertainment in and of itself, although I don't see how non-religious people fall prey to this more than the religious...

Here we go again with the cliché

You cannot superimpose your idea of fun. For Muslims, life can be fun, but is not to be solely lived for that purpose

So what if someone wants to live their life for fun? Who are you or who are religious people to say that their purpose is better or superior to anyone else's?

What if there is an afterlife/some form of retribution?

This is Pascal's Wager, a concept so flawed and naive that it doesn't even deserve a place in serious discussions concerning the need to worship a particular Deity or religion.

This is also coming from an atheist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Everything is a no no , by this I specifically mean Muslims, no alcohol, no pork, no music (sometimes), no sex, no fun! Life is too short. Whenever I'm out with my Muslim friends I actually feel like sorry for them since they haven't actually lived. What if there's no afterlife?!

Original post by De Mortimer
That's such a cliché often spouted by religious people. The majority of people do not waste away their lives partying and doing drugs

Really?

The majority of people I know have been to parties and have done drugs.

Easily 99%
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Really?

The majority of people I know have been to parties and have done drugs.

Easily 99%

There's a difference between having been to parties and having done drugs, (which many people have done, including religious people), than wasting your entire life engaging in them..
There's a difference between having been to parties and having done drugs, (which many people have done, including religious people), than wasting your entire life engaging in them..

I don't think it was implied that they are wasting their whole lives, just portions of it.

(From An Athiest)

This, as a Muslim this is exactly my view. For me, the western idea of having fun and living your life because it's too short does not attract me at all. Infact, because it's too short we should be more productive and do things that will help us grow as a person and succeed in this life and the next.

Muslims base this life on the next and so we take a completely different outlook on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Consuming drugs at least once is acting on impulsive desires. This kind of mindset is not a healthy way to live.
Original post by Hariex
Consuming drugs at least once is acting on impulsive desires. This kind of mindset is not a healthy way to live.

But this behaviour is in no way exclusive to non-religious people. Besides, I wasn't challenging the fact that people have taken drugs, rather ChocolateFace's insinuation that the non-religious waste their entire lives or large portions of it doing so.

In addition, I'm not sure I quite agree with you. I cannot imagine a life not led by impulses, what exactly is unhealthy about it?
(edited 9 years ago)

A lot of people do not listen to trash music, this seems like another cliché

No individuality? As opposed to what? People who all follow the same religion, all believe the same thing and follow the same rules? Yeah, how individual :rolleyes:

Instead of worshipping an arrogant, petty, evil, psychotic, needy, megalomaniacal God? I know which one I'd prefer :dontknow:

There's nothing wrong with entertainment in and of itself, although I don't see how non-religious people fall prey to this more than the religious...

Here we go again with the cliché

So what if someone wants to live their life for fun? Who are you or who are religious people to say that their purpose is better or superior to anyone else's?

This is Pascal's Wager, a concept so flawed and naive that it doesn't even deserve a place in serious discussions concerning the need to worship a particular Deity or religion.

This is also coming from an atheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of my non-Muslim friends do waste their lives partying and plan to party almost every weekend and any other opportunity they get.

Muslims consider anything mainstream to be trash music. We believe they soread immoral messages and are usually portrayed in immoral videos.

Cant comment on the no individuality since I don't agree with it.

We disagree with every attribute you stated about God. We believe he is a merciful and benevolent God, I dont know where you got your ideas from.

People are addicted to entertainment. One of the most common addictions which is just a waste of time in our eyes. Not to say that Muslims don't need it but we don't chase or want it as much.

We are replying to this thread which claims that we all boring because we don't live up to your standards of what a fun life is. You gave your view and we gave ours. We believe our purpose in life is to worship God and thrive in different areas in our life, such as seeking knowledge or helping the community and by not doing so, you are wasting time.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest