The Student Room Group

Doing several unpaid internships for charities - still can't find a job HELP

I graduated last year with a bachelor of education degree, first class honours.

For the last 6 months, I have been doing two unpaid internships at two education charities. At one education charity, I was marketing their education programme to schools. At another education charity, I was coordinating their education programme.

I am keen on getting a paid job in the charity sector, particularly to do with education charities/programmes. After many applications, I have been unsuccessful in gaining a paid job. I thought my internships would make it easier for me but it doesn't seem like it.

Now my internships are coming to an end. I can either stay at home and continue applying for jobs or do another internship. I've already got an interview to do an education internship at a museum where I will be helping out with their education programme.

Would so many internships look bad on my CV? Do you think it is worth it? or would it not make much of a difference?

Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply 1
If you want to continue doing unpaid internships, go ahead but don't put them all down on your CV
Reply 2
Original post by Shmxsz
If you want to continue doing unpaid internships, go ahead but don't put them all down on your CV

Why not? Then what's the point doing them?
Reply 3
Original post by bluebell100
Why not? Then what's the point doing them?

It doesn't look very good if you list lots of voluntary work. Keep it sweet and brief so it shows interest but nothing more. Unless, if you wanted you can list skills learnt, as companies that want to hire you in the future care about that, not really where you've learnt the skills. Make sure the skills will be relevant to your future job though.
Reply 4
Original post by Shmxsz
It doesn't look very good if you list lots of voluntary work. Keep it sweet and brief so it shows interest but nothing more. Unless, if you wanted you can list skills learnt, as companies that want to hire you in the future care about that, not really where you've learnt the skills. Make sure the skills will be relevant to your future job though.

These internships aren't just light voluntary roles. They involve a lot of real work, the kind of work people get paid to do. Would it still be useful? Or does the fact that it's an unpaid internship and not a paid job still make it seem lesser?
I graduated last year with a bachelor of education degree, first class honours.

For the last 6 months, I have been doing two unpaid internships at two education charities. At one education charity, I was marketing their education programme to schools. At another education charity, I was coordinating their education programme.

I am keen on getting a paid job in the charity sector, particularly to do with education charities/programmes. After many applications, I have been unsuccessful in gaining a paid job. I thought my internships would make it easier for me but it doesn't seem like it.

Now my internships are coming to an end. I can either stay at home and continue applying for jobs or do another internship. I've already got an interview to do an education internship at a museum where I will be helping out with their education programme.

Would so many internships look bad on my CV? Do you think it is worth it? or would it not make much of a difference?

Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

From what I've heard its better to have voluntary work on the CV than gaps, because employers always notice gaps. Have you asked for feedback on the paid applications? That should be the first step to helping you get a paid job.
Reply 6
These internships aren't just light voluntary roles. They involve a lot of real work, the kind of work people get paid to do. Would it still be useful? Or does the fact that it's an unpaid internship and not a paid job still make it seem lesser?

I understand. Just make sure you list everything you learnt and can transfer to your paid job, and see if you can get positive references

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending