The Student Room Group

World Cup 2014 Final: Germany vs Argentina

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
Messi has been Argentina's best player by quite a distance tbh. He's essentially created or scored nearly every one of Argentina's goals.

Messi has looked quite poor for majority of the tournament and has been stifled, ain't the same player he was at Barca in 2012, that was just a full on GOAT year. Guy getting braces almost every game.

Yeah agree with Messi and my opinion on him is not so different to him than most. Just very pissed off with hearing about him every minute and the OTT adulation that he gets. ''I hope Argentina win the WC for Messi'' I hear so much. Dont understand it, why is his happiness so important to people and more so than that of Di Maria, Gotze or anyone for the matter ? smh

If the BBC do another cliche feature on him tonight then I'm switching over to ITV. 21 other players on the pitch who are often more interesting to talk about and who people actually talk about with complete honesty as opposed to the extreme aversion to criticise Messi from most.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by muffingg
ITV or BBC? What is everyone choosing and why?

Why would anyone pick ITV? Inferior commentary, inferior punditry, Adrian Chiles & adverts.
I hope Argentina win, I've been rooting for them to win the Cup, hopefully a good game.

oh crap I voted Germany by accident
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Why would anyone pick ITV? Inferior commentary, inferior punditry, Adrian Chiles & adverts.

So we can avoid seeing the BBC getting Tim Vickery to interview Argentinian taxi drivers about Messi for the 7th time this tournament?
Reply 84
Original post by Zürich
Yeah agree with Messi and my opinion on him is not so different to him than most. Just very pissed off with hearing about him every minute and the OTT adulation that he gets. ''I hope Argentina win the WC for Messi'' I hear so much. Dont understand it, why is his happiness so important to people? smh

If the BBC do another cliche feature on him tonight then I'm switching over to ITV

I think that's just because there's always debate about who the best ever player is, and lots saying Messi would need to win the world cup to be given that tag, whereas others saying he already is. This would add further to the discussion. I just want a great game between two great teams. Germany have clearly been the best side, but I'll be rooting for Argentina. Not just because of Messi, but feel this is their only chance for a long time. Whereas Germany's current production line is ridiculous and they will win one sooner if they don't tonight.
Original post by DH1'
I think that's just because there's always debate about who the best ever player is, and lots saying Messi would need to win the world cup to be given that tag, whereas others saying he already is. This would add further to the discussion. I just want a great game between two great teams. Germany have clearly been the best side, but I'll be rooting for Argentina. Not just because of Messi, but feel this is their only chance for a long time. Whereas Germany's current production line is ridiculous and they will win one sooner if they don't tonight.

Yes, but this begs the question of why anyone gives a damn on whether he is considered to be or not? The fan-boyism is out of control. I see people talking criticism of Messi almost on quasi-religious blasphemy at times.

Personally hope Messi has a terrible game and that mein Junge Klose just keeps tapping in from 3 yards or Muller just scores some ridiculous deflection off his shin :coma:

Alternatively Toni Kroos can just hit a worldie top bins from distance
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope Argentina wins, not because of Messi being the best player (Ronaldo is) but I'd hate Germany to win.
Original post by SMEGGGY
I hope Argentina wins, not because of Messi being the best player (Ronaldo is) but I'd hate Germany to win.

lol
Reply 88
Original post by Zürich
Yes, but this begs the question of why anyone gives a damn on whether he is considered to be or not? The fan-boyism is out of control. I see people talking criticism of Messi almost on quasi-religious blasphemy at times.

Personally hope Messi has a terrible game and that mein Junge Klose just keeps tapping in from 3 yards or Muller just scores some ridiculous deflection off his shin :coma:

Alternatively Toni Kroos can just hit a worldie top bins from distance

Muller will score tonight. He's one of those players who is a good player but you just like for some reason. He's got the right amount of prick to talent ratio.
Original post by Zürich
Yeah agree with Messi and my opinion on him is not so different to him than most. Just very pissed off with hearing about him every minute and the OTT adulation that he gets. ''I hope Argentina win the WC for Messi'' I hear so much. Dont understand it, why is his happiness so important to people and more so than that of Di Maria, Gotze or anyone for the matter ? smh

If the BBC do another cliche feature on him tonight then I'm switching over to ITV. 21 other players on the pitch who are often more interesting to talk about and who people actually talk about with complete honesty as opposed to the extreme aversion to criticise Messi from most.

This. Nothing to do with Ronaldo v Messi, before someone quotes me and says that. Don't care for the debate on who is better. I'm just bored of hearing about how great he is and how Argentina deserve to win because of him. I fully expect the punditry to be talking about him 90% of the time tonight. He's not the only player on the field. It's annoying.
Original post by jam278
Muller will score tonight. He's one of those players who is a good player but you just like for some reason. He's got the right amount of prick to talent ratio.

He's not even a prick tbh, annoyingly smug and arrogant but he's also absolutely hilarious in most of his interviews. There is something very endearing about his style of play as well. Makes football as simple and effective as possible whilst not taking away any of the excitement.

Muller is absolutely fundamental to Germany tonight if the Argies park the bus, they'll need Muller to make those intelligent runs at the right time to get through.

Arsene Wenger has predicted Germany to win by a set piece in 90m, you heard it here first!
People keep saying that Argentina's defense is poor. They've only conceded three goals in this tournament and they haven't peaked yet and haven't fulfilled their potential in any of the previous games.

Yes, Germany are understandably favourites and hasn't faired well against teams with predominantly Germans in recent times.

But, after saying all that, complacency can be the Germans downfall and Argentina can simply win it by wanting it more, fat chance, but it could happen.

Another reason Argentina can win is by playing as an actual team, and not giving the ball to Messi always expecting him to do something. They need to pass and move quickly and take their chances on the counter attack. Their passes need to be precise and they do have less room for error compared to Germany.

Germany also have more pressure to win. As I remember one of the German team members saying that if they don't win the Cup, it'll be classed as failure. If we compare that to what an Argentine team member said when they got to the semi-final, he said that Argentina have accomplished their goals but are hungry to achieve more.

It will be a great spectacle, no doubt. And with both teams reliant on their attackers more than their defenders to win games, it should provide us with goals.

I personally want Argentina to win, but in my honest opinion, the only way they can win is if the Germans don't have their shooting boots on and it goes to penalties.

My prediction: After 120 minutes 1-1, Argentina to win on penalties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Germany deserves it much more than Argentina, so hopefully the Germans will get it.
As much as i want and feel Germany deserve it more, wouldnt be surprised if Argentina win, Messi needs to be onsong tonight
Not to mention there would be delicious Brazilian tears :drool: and chaos if Argentina win on Brazilian soil.
Go Argentina! Vamos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Germany is full of great players while all Argentina like Brazil do is worship Neymar and Messi who let's be honest is only great with Barcelona behind him.
Reply 97
I think it's Germany's to win. I'll be shocked if Argentina win. Really don't want to see Messi win a world cup trophy, ever. Hopefully, Messi will lose tonight's match and people will eventually forget about him in a few years. I can't take any more of this Messi hype and all his fanboys.
Reply 98
Although I don't really care who wins, I think Germany is going to win it :hmmmm2:
Reply 99
Original post by Zürich
Messi is just one player FFS. Sick to death of hearing about him and the sycophantic willing for him to win. Can guarentee that Lineker and the BBC will spend as much time talking about what winning 'means for Messi' than about what it means for the other 21 players on the pitch combined.

Hope to see Germany lifting the trophy tonight

Haha I absolutely agree! Very well said. Repped!!!

Quick Reply

Latest