The Student Room Group

Insurance or Re-sit

Wasn't sure what forum to post in, but I've been considering my contingency plan should I not get the grades to my first choice (sheffield). My insurance is Leicester which I have an unconditional for, so I have a place even if I do terrible. However Leicester is around 1hr 15 from me and Sheffield is only about 30mins, plus Sheffield is a much better uni being part of the Russell group. I can't decide whether I would rather spend another year to try and get the grades again if I don't get them - or to go to Leicester which is much more travelling and would by the looks of it make maintaining my relationship extremely hard.

So basically, has anyone else been through this and what did you decide? And pros and cons towards re-sitting or going to my insurance choice.

Cheers.
which course have you applied for?
Reply 2
Original post by derma2019
which course have you applied for?

Management
Original post by Jake1212
Management

I would wait and see what you get results way, maybe see where else you could go through clearing maybe. If you are not happy with Leicester then don't go, but just remember you may not get an offer second time round so maybe ring them up now and ask if they would allow you to resit. I personally couldnt have done a year at home again resitting so went to uni.
Reply 4
I would wait and see what you get results way, maybe see where else you could go through clearing maybe. If you are not happy with Leicester then don't go, but just remember you may not get an offer second time round so maybe ring them up now and ask if they would allow you to resit. I personally couldnt have done a year at home again resitting so went to uni.

Yeah, it's not that I dislike Leicester but I completely loved sheffield, obviously though I might not get the chance to have such a good insurance should I fail to get the grades a second time. Probably a good idea to ring sheffield should I not get the grades and see if they would accept me re-sitting.
Yeah, it's not that I dislike Leicester but I completely loved sheffield, obviously though I might not get the chance to have such a good insurance should I fail to get the grades a second time. Probably a good idea to ring sheffield should I not get the grades and see if they would accept me re-sitting.

I recommend thats the best move for now. Also ring them and ask if they will consider people who miss grades because some unis take people on still. my friends course asked for AAB but still got in with ACC and another friend of hers got BCC and still got onto an AAB so it also depends on how many others miss the grades.
Reply 6
I recommend thats the best move for now. Also ring them and ask if they will consider people who miss grades because some unis take people on still. my friends course asked for AAB but still got in with ACC and another friend of hers got BCC and still got onto an AAB so it also depends on how many others miss the grades.

Really? I thought they would accept small differences, such as if I got ABC (asking for ABB) but didn't realise unis accepted that much difference. I reckon with the new linear system it will be quite likely that people miss the grades so that could be a good call. I guess I'll have to give them a ring.
Really? I thought they would accept small differences, such as if I got ABC (asking for ABB) but didn't realise unis accepted that much difference. I reckon with the new linear system it will be quite likely that people miss the grades so that could be a good call. I guess I'll have to give them a ring.

Yeah aha but it depends on how tough the uni is and how competitive the course at that uni is. I also think because of linear exams and harder exams, people will drop in their grades and it is quite likely many may miss their offers.

Hope it goes well! Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah aha but it depends on how tough the uni is and how competitive the course at that uni is. I also think because of linear exams and harder exams, people will drop in their grades and it is quite likely many may miss their offers.

Hope it goes well! Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the help!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest