The Student Room Group

Do universities check your ENTIRE educational history?

I flunked out of high school and went through a weird 4 year post high school crisis where I kept picking up crappy A2/BTEC courses at the local technical college. I'd either drop out or stay in them long enough to actually fail them.

That'll be 10 years ago when I apply for medical school in 2016. I should have a pretty good application with the exception of my educational background.

I can't think of a way I could spin that because an outsider is just going to see it as me resetting until I make it so I'd rather not have it on my application. I've been in full time employment since I was 18 so I have activity to cover those years.

So if I left it out, am I likely to 'get away' with it?

Scroll to see replies

What education will you have? Lile access course or retaking a levels/gcses.

You may find them more forgiving but they probably still want evidence that you can hack the academics of a medical degree
I assume you're re-taking a-levels again? Or will foundation courses accept you without that?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's been so long since then they won't really care whether you had A*s or failed. They will base your application on recent history. Just explain at interview the reason if asked such as you were not mature enough or had family trouble etc.

Don't hide your history or try to cover it up though. Although they won't care about the old grades they will appreciate your honesty which is important if you want to be a doctor.

I didn't complete several courses similar to you for various reasons but by the time many years later it didn't matter as I ensured I had the grades and work experience to show them I was serious now.

Be honest, work hard on your A-levels or access course and make sure you apply smart. Also check with each medical school to see if there could be an issue. They are usually very helpful.
Original post by *Interrobang*
What education will you have? Lile access course or retaking a levels/gcses.

You may find them more forgiving but they probably still want evidence that you can hack the academics of a medical degree

Original post by nexttime
I assume you're re-taking a-levels again? Or will foundation courses accept you without that?

Should have included that I'll be taking A Levels again. With one or two exceptions the foundation courses seem to be aimed at school leavers, graduates or professionals. I'd rather go traditional so that I have A Levels to fall back on.

Original post by Skytravel
It's been so long since then they won't really care whether you had A*s or failed. They will base your application on recent history. Just explain at interview the reason if asked such as you were not mature enough or had family trouble etc.

Don't hide your history or try to cover it up though. Although they won't care about the old grades they will appreciate your honesty which is important if you want to be a doctor.

I didn't complete several courses similar to you for various reasons but by the time many years later it didn't matter as I ensured I had the grades and work experience to show them I was serious now.

Be honest, work hard on your A-levels or access course and make sure you apply smart. Also check with each medical school to see if there could be an issue. They are usually very helpful.

And you included them ALL on your UCAS application?

Did you apply before you sat the exams or the year after you completed?

Thanks for the replies!
Original post by Stanley Winchest
Should have included that I'll be taking A Levels again. With one or two exceptions the foundation courses seem to be aimed at school leavers, graduates or professionals. I'd rather go traditional so that I have A Levels to fall back on.

And you included them ALL on your UCAS application?

Did you apply before you sat the exams or the year after you completed?

Thanks for the replies!

As far as I'm aware, there is only the graduate entry route available for mature students?
When applying, all grades must be put on your UCAS application. Those which you didn't complete and thus didn't get a grade for, can be ignored. If you did get a grade (anything not a U), you must put on your application. If you omit something they have the right to withdraw any offers.
Original post by hellodave5
As far as I'm aware, there is only the graduate entry route available for mature students?

No most universities now accept mature students via the traditional route, via certain access courses, graduate entry and foundation years. Although because they're so often quite vague I still need to shortlist some unis to write to for confirmation of what EXACTLY they want.
No most universities now accept mature students via the traditional route, via certain access courses, graduate entry and foundation years. Although because they're so often quite vague I still need to shortlist some unis to write to for confirmation of what EXACTLY they want.

Could you show me some of the courses you have in mind?
I find this interesting, as was looking into med admissions - was thinking about the possibility of grad entry.
Original post by Paralove
When applying, all grades must be put on your UCAS application. Those which you didn't complete and thus didn't get a grade for, can be ignored. If you did get a grade (anything not a U), you must put on your application. If you omit something they have the right to withdraw any offers.

Fantastic. I didn't think of it like that. I think only one subject received an overall grade (D), the rest were either incomplete or smattered with U's. So if I'm correct, I only have to include 1 A Level I took and got a D in?
Could you show me some of the courses you have in mind?
I find this interesting, as was looking into med admissions - was thinking about the possibility of grad entry.

http://bma.org.uk/developing-your-career/medical-student/entry-to-medical-school/quick-questions/alternative-pathways

I haven't done any research into grad entry but I from what I've caught whilst skipping over it's an issue of having a 1st in your degree and having to sit the foundation year if it's not a science degree. Obviously it'd have to have the same BMAT/UKCAT and non-academic supplementation too.

I'm hoping to get straight on to the 5/6 year MBBS/MBCHB programmes. I've not gotten as far as singling out/saving links yet for that. However, here are some examples of the other routes I've saved:

http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/A2M-Course-info-1415.pdf
A widely accepted college access course.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/foundation/medicine/
Probably the most lenient foundation course, there's a list of them on TSR's Medicine Wiki:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#Routes_Into_Medicine

http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201314&P=BS-INTDIS%2FSC
This is Leeds separate route into their medical programme, though I don't think it actually mentions it specifically on that particular page.

A lot of the foundation programmes (for me at least) are useless. A lot boast of widening access but when you get to the requirements you'll find a lot actually want hard up school leavers.

All this should be checked. I've not had much sleep.
Fantastic. I didn't think of it like that. I think only one subject received an overall grade (D), the rest were either incomplete or smattered with U's. So if I'm correct, I only have to include 1 A Level I took and got a D in?

Yeah. Anything for which you didn't get a certificate because you didn't complete it or which you failed doesn't have to go on, but if you got a grade, it does. Also, with mature applicants they often ignore qualifications that are more than ten years old, I believe, but you will have to double check that one.
http://bma.org.uk/developing-your-career/medical-student/entry-to-medical-school/quick-questions/alternative-pathways

I haven't done any research into grad entry but I from what I've caught whilst skipping over it's an issue of having a 1st in your degree and having to sit the foundation year if it's not a science degree. Obviously it'd have to have the same BMAT/UKCAT and non-academic supplementation too.

I'm hoping to get straight on to the 5/6 year MBBS/MBCHB programmes. I've not gotten as far as singling out/saving links yet for that. However, here are some examples of the other routes I've saved:

http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/A2M-Course-info-1415.pdf
A widely accepted college access course.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/elt/foundation/medicine/
Probably the most lenient foundation course, there's a list of them on TSR's Medicine Wiki:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#Routes_Into_Medicine

http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201314&P=BS-INTDIS%2FSC
This is Leeds separate route into their medical programme, though I don't think it actually mentions it specifically on that particular page.

A lot of the foundation programmes (for me at least) are useless. A lot boast of widening access but when you get to the requirements you'll find a lot actually want hard up school leavers.

All this should be checked. I've not had much sleep.

Cheers! Interesting stuff there.

The Leeds one is Interdisciplinary Science BSc? So would that one be to allow for graduate entry?

The St Andrews one is for international students: are you international?

The Sussex one allows possible access into 2 different med schools in the south; Brighton and Sussex. This would perhaps be a good option if you can afford all of it (living expenses of moving and fees).

For graduate entry you in the case of Nottingham currently only need a 2.2. Usually they require 2.1 or first though, in a science related degree. Though, I heard they were thinking of scrapping graduate entry.
Cheers! Interesting stuff there.

The Leeds one is Interdisciplinary Science BSc? So would that one be to allow for graduate entry?

The St Andrews one is for international students: are you international?

The Sussex one allows possible access into 2 different med schools in the south; Brighton and Sussex. This would perhaps be a good option if you can afford all of it (living expenses of moving and fees).

For graduate entry you in the case of Nottingham currently only need a 2.2. Usually they require 2.1 or first though, in a science related degree. Though, I heard they were thinking of scrapping graduate entry.

I think Leeds do accept graduate entry.

I've saved the wrong St Andrews link.

There are other colleges like the Sussex one but I've found a number that are listed have since been shut down or aren't accepted by any med schools.
I think Leeds do accept graduate entry.

I've saved the wrong St Andrews link.

There are other colleges like the Sussex one but I've found a number that are listed have since been shut down or aren't accepted by any med schools.

Ok, just to be clear: to be eligible for graduate entry medicine courses (I.e. Those of 4 years duration, instead of 5), you will need an undergraduate degree, usually in a science/health-related subject. For almost all graduate entry courses, you will need a first or a 2.1. If you don't have a degree, you cannot apply to a GEP course.

Secondly, if you read the small print of the UCAS application, you are required to list all qualifications, even those that you have failed (this is also what UCAS telephone advisors are saying). Very specifically, if you are retaking A levels (I.e. Resitting the same subject(s), then you absolutely MUST declare your previous grades even if they are a U. Universities can check this, and the consequences of omitting previous grades are likely to be far more severe than admitting them. Your issue is more likely to be related to medical school policies on resits. A good move would be to contact relevant schools and ask their admissions depts about their polices,

Posted from TSR Mobile

The vast majority of medical schools accept graduate applications to their 5 year courses (I.e. the standard UG courses). There are probably about 15% graduates on my course, which is the standard 5 year course. Please note that ALL UK medical degrees are undergraduate degrees, even the GEP ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
providing you give a reason, that shouldn't matter as it was so long ago :smile:
Original post by HawkFlight
The vast majority of medical schools accept graduate applications to their 5 year courses (I.e. the standard UG courses). There are probably about 15% graduates on my course, which is the standard 5 year course. Please note that ALL UK medical degrees are undergraduate degrees, even the GEP ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know that the vast majority do. But I heard that there was a possibility that they would discontinue the graduate entry programme. I don't know how accurate that is though.

It's good to know that there are so many graduates doing medicine.
I know that medicine is undergraduate level; I didn't say otherwise?

How are you finding medicine? All you expected it to be? :smile:
Original post by HawkFlight
Secondly, if you read the small print of the UCAS application, you are required to list all qualifications, even those that you have failed (this is also what UCAS telephone advisors are saying). Very specifically, if you are retaking A levels (I.e. Resitting the same subject(s), then you absolutely MUST declare your previous grades even if they are a U. Universities can check this, and the consequences of omitting previous grades are likely to be far more severe than admitting them. Your issue is more likely to be related to medical school policies on resits. A good move would be to contact relevant schools and ask their admissions depts about their polices,
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've just read through it. What about module resits? I took 2 modules a few years ago and got CC. I neither cashed them in or got a certificate for them. I think they're even out of spec now. Should I include those?

http://www.ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/entering-levels-and-as-levels-on-your.html

OP doesn't have a degree, how would he apply for grad entry?

You can apply to standard courses as a mature student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending