The Student Room Group

I am an ex Muslim. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diamante06
The sun actually orbits around the centre of the Milky Way galaxy. It takes over 200 million years for the sun to complete one orbit.

The Quran meant the sun is orbiting the earth. This is clarified by the passage, 36: 40, which states: "it is not allowable for the sun to reach the moon, nor does the night overtake the day, but each, in an orbit, is swimming."

This very well suggests the sun and moon's paths are parallel - therefore explicitly indicating the sun is orbiting the earth. This is wrong and, if anything, disproves the Quran.
Reply 241
I'm just here to say well done.
Original post by ExMus
Surah 21:33 actually says the sun is in an orbital as well as the moon. The sun isn't in an orbital. It doesn't say anything about the moon orbiting the earth which orbits the sun. I don't know where you got that from. The sun does not relative to the earth as well, for your information. You are despairingly being misled. This is probably a case of motivated reasoning on your part. Furthermore, there is no verse in the Quran which says the earth is round. If the Quran was actually a scientific phenomenom, why don't Muslims/scholars publish these scientific ideas before it is actually theorised. Either Muslim interpret verses to fit their beliefs or scholars have a seriously rubish arabic comprehension issue, and I doubt it is the latter,

Sun is actually in an orbit which takes 226 million years to complete. And for other point u raised , there is evidence of the shape of earth in Quran:

"And the earth, moreover, Hath He made egg shaped." [Al-Qur’aan 79:30]
(The Arabic word dahaha has been translated by A. Yusuf Ali as “vast expanse”, which also is correct. The word “dahaha” also means an ostrich-egg)

For ur third point , here is a list of astronomers only let alone mathematicians,physicist,physicians, engineers, biologists.remember these are just the RENOWNED Muslim ASTRONOMERS only .

Ibrahim al-Fazari (d. 777 CE)
Muhammad al-Fazari (died 796 or 806)
Al-Khwarizmi, mathematician (c. 780 c. 850)
Ja'far ibn Muhammad Abu Ma'shar al-Balkhi (Albumasar) (787 - 886 CE)
Al-Farghani (mid-9th century)
Banū Mūsā (Ben ..Mousa) (9th century)
Al-Majriti (d. 1008 or 1007 CE)
Muhammad ibn Jābir al-Harrānī al-Battānī (Albatenius)
Al-Farabi (Abunaser)
Abd Al-Rahman Al Sufi
Abu Sa'id Gorgani
Kushyar ibn Labban
Abū Ja'far al-Khāzin
Al-Mahani
Al-Marwazi
Al-Nayrizi
Al-Saghani
Al-Farghani
Abu Nasr Mansur
Abū Sahl al-Qūhī (Kuhi)
Abu-Mahmud al-Khujandi
Abū al-Wafā' al-Būzjānī
Ibn Yunus
Ibn al-Haytham (Alhacen)
Abū Rayhān al-Bīrūnī
Avicenna (Ibn Sīnā)
Abū Ishāq Ibrāhīm al-Zarqālī (Arzachel)
Omar Khayyám
Al-Khazini
Ibn Bajjah (Avempace)
Ibn Tufail (Abubacer)
Nur Ed-Din Al Betrugi (Alpetragius)
Averroes
Al-Jazari
Sharaf al-Dīn al-Tūsī
Anvari
Mo'ayyeduddin Urdi
Nasir al-Din Tusi
Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi
Ibn al-Shatir
Shams al-Dīn al-Samarqandī
Jamshīd al-Kāshī
Ulugh Beg, also a mathematician
Taqi al-Din Muhammad ibn Ma'ruf, Ottoman astronomer
Ahmad Nahavandi
Haly Abenragel
Abolfadl Harawi
You still love your family though, right?
you sound like you don't care.
Its great to see that you are no longer lurking and actively questioning.

you are very mature for your age and its a shame that you had no one who could answer the deeper, more philosophical questions for you.

Don't write off Islam completely, for it will forever remain a rich resource for you. you are fluent in its language, its customs, its followers. Ignore the Muslim teenage angst filled sentimental contingent of TSR, with their condescending tests and what-nots.

There are efforts underway throughout the Muslim world, working together to achieve reform of the Shari'a.

historically the owning slaves and concubines was perfectly legal under the shari'a as inherited from the classical period, but the vast majority of Muslims no longer recognise these practices as morally allowable in Islam. These practices that are supported by sharia rulings have been quietly abandoned in favour of a more bourgeois conception of marriage and family.

Another example is the the presence of eunuchs. Castrated formerly male servants were once ubiquitous in aristocratic Islamic homes , royal courts, and even at the Prophet's tomb in Medina. Rulings about these "males made non-men" are found in the shari'a, but most contemporary Muslims are horrified by the idea of castration and the resulting gender ambivalence.

....yet another example is the gender equality between men and women. This is increasingly accepted by Muslims in the work place and home, despite the fact that the marriage contract inscribes highly differentiated rights and privileges for men and women... many contemporary Muslim women are shocked to discover the real nature of their marriage in shari'a terms and its underlying legal rationale as a contract of sale.

I am a gay Muslim. If anyone had a reason to leave Islam it would have been myself.

I am not asking you why you have left Islam. I respect your decision. When intelligent people don't get the answers they need, they are going to get frustrated and leave.

Times are changing. Be a part of that change.

I am here for you. Whenever you need me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by krazy prince
Sun is actually in an orbit which takes 226 million years to complete. And for other point u raised , there is evidence of the shape of earth in Quran:

"And the earth, moreover, Hath He made egg shaped." [Al-Qur’aan 79:30]
(The Arabic word dahaha has been translated by A. Yusuf Ali as “vast expanse”, which also is correct. The word “dahaha” also means an ostrich-egg)

X

Well, how does being Muslim help the cause of Islam? That's similar to saying atheism must be true because of renowned atheist scientists. What I asked was that you should name the translators.
Egg shaped does not make sense either. If you take a spherical ball and an egg, you'd realise the earth is much closer to a ball than egg. Earth is so similar to a ball such that the difference is negligible. And the actual translation is vastly different to the one you use. In fact, the translation is, "and then he spread the earth over". This new translation stating the earth is egg shaped is misleading and false; it was in fact created a few years ago and most Muslims use this special translation as opposed to the overwhelming rest of the translations (which are all similar but different to this special one). So I suggest you do proper research first and see an adequate amount of translations over the years and when the verses were translated, because it very possible these guys may have translated in order to satisfy modern scientific theories.
Original post by ExMus
Well, how does being Muslim help the cause of Islam? That's similar to saying atheism must be true because of renowned atheist scientists. What I asked was that you should name the translators.
Egg shaped does not make sense either. If you take a spherical ball and an egg, you'd realise the earth is much closer to a ball than egg. Earth is so similar to a ball such that the difference is negligible. And the actual translation is vastly different to the one you use. In fact, the translation is, "and then he spread the earth over". This new translation stating the earth is egg shaped is misleading and false; it was in fact created a few years ago and most Muslims use this special translation as opposed to the overwhelming rest of the translations (which are all similar but different to this special one). So I suggest you do proper research first and see an adequate amount of translations over the years and when the verses were translated, because it very possible these guys may have translated in order to satisfy modern scientific theories.

recently scientists just discovered that it'snot completely round or spherical either, but it is a bit more courved out from the edges. Read on Wikipedia or on the NASA websites. Brother do not just neg all the verses before understanding it completely as Arabic is a vast language which have so many translations of the same word. As again I stated earlier , insufficient knowledge of Islam and science leads to contradiction between the both but when u get in depth , u start realising things. Again watch videos of Dr zakir Naik just for general knowelge if not for anything else. U definitely would find it helpful and can ask him questions directly too like I did. He is a better source .
Original post by krazy prince
recently scientists just discovered that it'snot completely round or spherical either, but it is a bit more courved out from the edges. Read on Wikipedia or on the NASA websites. Brother do not just neg all the verses before understanding it completely as Arabic is a vast language which have so many translations of the same word. As again I stated earlier , insufficient knowledge of Islam and science leads to contradiction between the both but when u get in depth , u start realising things. Again watch videos of Dr zakir Naik just for general knowelge if not for anything else. U definitely would find it helpful and can ask him questions directly too like I did. He is a better source .

You did not understand what I said.
Original post by ExMus
The Quran meant the sun is orbiting the earth. This is clarified by the passage, 36: 40, which states: "it is not allowable for the sun to reach the moon, nor does the night overtake the day, but each, in an orbit, is swimming."

This very well suggests the sun and moon's paths are parallel - therefore explicitly indicating the sun is orbiting the earth. This is wrong and, if anything, disproves the Quran.

(36:40) Neither does it lie in the sun's power to overtake the moon nor can the night outstrip the day. All glide along, each in its own orbit.

It's clear to me that the Qur'an means two separate orbits. It is saying that the sun does not have the power to collide with the moons orbit.
Original post by Diamante06
(36:40) Neither does it lie in the sun's power to overtake the moon nor can the night outstrip the day. All glide along, each in its own orbit.

It's clear to me that the Qur'an means two separate orbits. It is saying that the sun does not have the power to collide with the moons orbit.

What it means is that the sun cannot catch up with the moon the same way the night cannot catch up with the day. I agree with the bold - but the reason given for this by the Quran is that they do not collide because they cannot catch up with each other, though they maintain the same direction of orbit around the earth.
Original post by Bloom77
You still love your family though, right?
you sound like you don't care.

I sound like I don't care? Please. Read through this whole thread.
Original post by ExMus
You did not understand what I said.

Watch Dr zakir Naik's videos and ask him directly on the internet. He deifinitely will understand u.

Quick Reply

Latest