The Student Room Group

GTA 5 is a work of art

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
But how much of that comes down to "OMG, GTA IV may have been pretty bad, but before that they were good, so this must be good. OMG, it's been 5 years it must definately be good, OMG OMG OMG OMG."

Yeah, there was a lot of hype for it, but that doesn't really detract from the fact that it sold like hot-cakes.
Sleeping Dogs is still the greatest open world game.
Original post by mikeyd85
Yeah, there was a lot of hype for it, but that doesn't really detract from the fact that it sold like hot-cakes.

But it also means that it can't be claimed to be good purely due to sales figures, especially in the first few days.
But it also means that it can't be claimed to be good purely due to sales figures, especially in the first few days.

I agree of course. Otherwise one could claim the Transformers films are good...
Video games as a whole are a work of art, in my view.
Original post by mikeyd85
I agree of course. Otherwise one could claim the Transformers films are good...

They are, in their own special Bayesque way, so not really. They're like Armageddon: you watch them if you just want a few hours of crap and explosions with not a care in the world for logic or plot.
Fall out > GTA
Original post by shahbaz
Fall out > GTA

Whilst I agree with you, it would be easy to come on this thread and just list all the games that are better than GTA V (and there are many. It's certainly not the best game ever), but it doesn't change the fact it was an amazing game and a work of art.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I realise from the tone of the post that it was said sarcastically, but no it's not a work of art. Although I suppose art is subjective, but it doesn't strike me as something artistic. GTA V was disappointing and cut corners, when not cutting things altogether. Should've been called GTA IV: Los Santos too.

Original post by TroyAndAbed
Sleeping Dogs is still the greatest open world game.

It's not even the greatest Asian open-world game (which goes to the Yakuza series). Hey it's a great game, but Yakuza is arguably bigger than GTA, at least in East Asia.
(edited 9 years ago)
I gave three engines on which games that out do have been/will be published. The CryEngines have published the Crysis series, among others, 3 definitely beats down GTA V (even on last gen consoles); Frostbite engines have, among other things, the battlefield series, again, 4 would beat down GTA V

Let me stop you right there. As a hardcore BF player, I know for a fact that what you just said is total bull****. I have BF4 on PS3 and the amount of times the game has crashed and sent me into a rage over unacceptably poor lag and coding is insane. It doesn't work, and for me has been one of the worst games I've ever played. Battlefield 3 is one of my favourites, but even having owned GTA 5 for only 4 days I can already see that GTA 5 absolutely slaughters the Battlefield games.

Spend 5 minutes reading the BF4 forums and you'll see how bad the game really is.
Original post by Typhoon235
Let me stop you right there. As a hardcore BF player, I know for a fact that what you just said is total bull****. I have BF4 on PS3 and the amount of times the game has crashed and sent me into a rage over unacceptably poor lag and coding is insane. It doesn't work, and for me has been one of the worst games I've ever played. Battlefield 3 is one of my favourites, but even having owned GTA 5 for only 4 days I can already see that GTA 5 absolutely slaughters the Battlefield games.

Spend 5 minutes reading the BF4 forums and you'll see how bad the game really is.

I propose you look at it on something with some graphical horsepower and not a toaster; if you're not playing Battlefield on PC you're playing it wrong. Given you quoted a graphics argument, these screenshots disagree (and they are all without SSAA):

Spoiler

The explosion in the first screenshot quite nicely demonstrates how games can look soooo much better than reality.

But at least we should be able to agree, better than CoD, at least GTA and BF remember their mags:

(Nobody in that opening sequence had a mag in their gun)
(edited 9 years ago)
(Nobody in that opening sequence had a mag in their gun)

safety first

I don't know, forums are a really bad way of getting a general consensus. A minority and a specific demographic post in forums, and fewer still post a certain opinion (i.e. a higher proportion will voice complaints than praise).

For example, forums will tell you the Neo vs Smiths fight in Matrix Reloaded is ghastly, looks like crap, and a low point of the franchise (along with most of the third film). This would astound 'normal' people though, as it's considered one of the best fight and action scenes of all time.
^fair enough.

It's all very well saying BF4 looks nice, and I agree that it looks miles better on a PC, but what's the point in having fancy graphics if the game continuously crashes and is a perpetual ball ache to play? I'd rather have a properly working game first. THAT is why BF4 is so flawed- it doesn't work.
^fair enough.

It's all very well saying BF4 looks nice, and I agree that it looks miles better on a PC, but what's the point in having fancy graphics if the game continuously crashes and is a perpetual ball ache to play? I'd rather have a properly working game first. THAT is why BF4 is so flawed- it doesn't work.

But it does, as I said, it's not my fault if DICE don't bother applying patches to the toasters, but until they started fiddling with it it was fine for me, now it's fine [enough] again as it is for the majority. Alternatively, it's not my fault that you don't check if the toaster has got an update.
(edited 9 years ago)
previous gta games were not as well written as GTA 5, cutscenes were directed like an actual TV series or movie.

gameplay was the best in gta 5, map the most interesting, more things to do in general.

story line in GTA 5 was probably the less cliched in GTA history. only reason i thought the previous GTAs had pretty good storylines was because i was young then and didnt understand better.

yeah i think GTA 5 is a work of art, and i have enough credibility to say so, going beyond Kubrick and Dostoyevsky. people who say any other GTA is better is because of theyre looking back with nostalgia filled rose tinted goggles.

btw Fallout had a ****ty storyline, everything else was great though. not better than GTA 5 imo. especially when mods are available for it.
Original post by MostUncivilised
I'm a huge fan of the Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, X Files, Game of Thrones, Stanley Kubrick movies like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining. Francis Ford Coppola movies.

I enjoy Shakespeare, I read Dostoyevsky. And from all of this, from all of this artistic sensibility, I say

GTA 5 is a work of art! What an exceptional work. It's a master parody of the times in which we live, it's an incredible satire of social media, the film industry, video games and pop culture. I rate GTA 5 very highly

What do you think?

Of course it is. My favourite part is when you visit the strip club.
GTA V is overrated imo.

And I preferred Niko to all 3 of the main characters in V.

Quick Reply

Latest