The Student Room Group

Was told to pick a career

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hellodave5
Generally speaking Law courses, from my limited knowledge, are very selective for Law LLB courses... and so would take some consideration of GCSE's. For law you could definitely bring up your application through good A levels and some experience in a law related environment.
Applications to medicine sort of expect a bit of experience in medicine before starting the course - though they accept that it is often difficult to attain direct experience with patients.

thanks for this, but isn't law really long
Original post by Zeroic
thanks for this, but isn't law really long

A law degree (LLB) is three years I think. Medicine is 5.
Reply 22
thanks for the replies so based on the things i've said so far, what do you think would be the perfect career for me
Don't pick a career at this stage unless you know that you want to work at it for the rest of your life - few 16/17 year olds have much of a clue about their future (me included). You should do what YOU enjoy and are good at, rather than satisfying teachers because it is your life and you will want to live with the consequences of your own actions. If you're good at the humanities, do them, medicine by the sounds of it wouldn't suit you.
Reply 24
Getting told to pick a career at 15 is absolutely stupid.
Remember, there are plenty of opportunities in life for different jobs. You don't have to decide something now, but know that you don't have to carry on with the same career for the rest of your life. I know of a surgeon who gave up his career because he knew he would enjoy animation more, now he works for disney, designing and animating games.
Don't think that your life is a one track plan. Also, if you don't have the grades you want, there is still time to improve. Perhaps medicine isn't for you though, if you are good at humanities then study humanities if you like it. There are many uni courses for humanity subjects. What you do at uni doesn't have to be what career you do.
Reply 26
Original post by C_G
Getting told to pick a career at 15 is absolutely stupid.

thanks for the replies guys and lol yeah but everyone says jobs are dying out, and it's pressure from school alot
Original post by Zeroic
thanks for the replies guys and lol yeah but everyone says jobs are dying out, and it's pressure from school alot

I highly doubt your school are actually saying 'pick your future career right now or else'. Think of a vague subject area. You already said medicine, but it seems like you only want that because it's 'prestigious' rather than because you have any real skill in useful subject areas (like maths) or have any real vested interest in it. You can get good jobs with history and english degrees, they're just not going to be as 'obvious' as those from a medicine degree.

Pick what you like and are good at.
Original post by Zeroic
thanks, ill try to use this as motivation

you are very likely not to get into med/dent

i know myriads of straight a graders ( naturally, not the revise for gcse types) who got rejected for med.

I suggest you aim for med but dont be dissapointed if you dont make it.

I would look at different careers, ask others in them
Reply 29
Yeah I guess I should look into another field, anyone got any ideas, I like history and sociology
Original post by Zeroic
Yeah I guess I should look into another field, anyone got any ideas, I like history and sociology

Then consider history and sociology. History is a good degree to have, lots of transferable skills.
Reply 31
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Then consider history and sociology. History is a good degree to have, lots of transferable skills.

into what, one thing i dont wanna do is get into teaching
Original post by Zeroic
into what, one thing i dont wanna do is get into teaching

Into any generic grad job - which is what I believe most people do. Or there's ways to get from other degrees into Law and Accounting and stuff like that.
Reply 33
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Into any generic grad job - which is what I believe most people do. Or there's ways to get from other degrees into Law and Accounting and stuff like that.

thanks
Original post by Zeroic
And I didn't know what to do
I'm now going into year 11 and I guess I always wanted to do something in medicine or something, but i'll be honest with you, i don't have strong grade, i'm a b- student at best, i don't motivate myself to do any form of good work or revise however it struck me that i really need to up my game in year 11, though that being said i might have to do foundation for maths, so please tell me honestly, do i even stand a chance

subjects that i am good at are humanity subjects like sociology and history though

Firstly, you don't need to decide on a career that you want to do right now, you still have some time to decide and change, school just want you to think of possibilities for future career choices.

If you want to go into medicine, you'll have to work really really hard and you need to work on your maths too, the highest you can get in foundation is a C. I'd suggest get the MathsWatch CD to help you with maths (it's brilliant!) or/and revision guide + textbook and work from that, get extra help from teacher if possible. Otherwise just get a tutor if that doesn't work.

If that fails, you can think about your other options, you said you wanted to do practical work, you do well at humanties and you seem to want to go into health care/science. There are many things you can look into with those in mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest