The Student Room Group

POLL: Do you get along with your own gender?

Poll

Do you get on with your own gender?

Movies always show girls with lots of girlfriends, and guys with guy friends, and people always seem to assume you have friends of the same gender. How common is this actually? I've never had female friends, ever. Even as a little girl, I played with boys. My teachers used to remark on it. Even though I now have some female friends, my friendship group is mixed and very male heavy. I've never got on with girls, on the whole they just don't like me. I tend to find girl groups bitchy and I can't be arsed with it

My boyfriend, on the other hand, has loaaaaaaaaads of female friends. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split.

This got me thinking, is it THAT weird to actually prefer friends of the opposite gender?

Do you get on with your own gender? Why/why not?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have more guy friends than girls. In general, I prefer their company and find them easier to get along with :tongue: I don't necessarily not get along with girls though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Movies always show girls with lots of girlfriends, and guys with guy friends, and people always seem to assume you have friends of the same gender. How common is this actually? I've never had female friends, ever. Even as a little girl, I played with boys. My teachers used to remark on it. Even though I now have some female friends, my friendship group is mixed and very male heavy. I've never got on with girls, on the whole they just don't like me. I tend to find girl groups bitchy and I can't be arsed with it

My boyfriend, on the other hand, has loaaaaaaaaads of female friends. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split.

This got me thinking, is it THAT weird to actually prefer friends of the opposite gender?

Do you get on with your own gender? Why/why not?

I know you call your GFs bitchy.
Original post by Changing Skies
I have more guy friends than girls. In general, I prefer their company and find them easier to get along with :tongue: I don't necessarily not get along with girls though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find them easier to get along with too. More upfront, less uptight, generally take themselves less seriously. There are certain girls I get along with, but they tend to be "alternative" girls.

Original post by Wilsoncw1997
I know you call your GFs bitchy.

What?
Reply 4
I've gone to school with girls for most of my life so I pretty much have no choice in picking the gender I'm friends with. However, the male family friends I've evidently got along with very well; I think it just comes down to is my laid-back personality. But to an extent I get in well very well with my own gender as I don't really think it matters. You just have to find the people you have a lot in common with.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
I prefer mixed groups as the testosterone isn't overwhelming and neither is the... testosterwoman.

:rofl:
Reply 6
I've nearly always had mainly female friends, however that's probably not surprising considering I did go to an all girls school and mostly worked in environments which were predominantly female.
When I was in primary school I would hang around with a lot of boys, apparently I was the only "cool girl". I had a pokemon obsession and apparently that was the in thing at the time lol. Every friendship group I've been in has been a mix of girls and boys, as I get older there seems to be a 50:50 split in our group gender wise.

I tend to prefer guy friends, or girls that aren't overly stereotypical girly? Most girls seem to be really into shopping, bitching, more bitching, I honestly can't keep up with the drama, nor want to. A lot of girls I know just seem to blow up and make a big deal out of everything and get over emotional whereas I've always been really chilled out and just go with the flow of life :cool:

I start Uni in September and will be studying a very male dominated course, so maybe I'll change my opinion later :biggrin:
I get on well with guys but I prefer girls- which do I click?
Original post by AlphaDog0127
When I was in primary school I would hang around with a lot of boys, apparently I was the only "cool girl". I had a pokemon obsession and apparently that was the in thing at the time lol. Every friendship group I've been in has been a mix of girls and boys, as I get older there seems to be a 50:50 split in our group gender wise.

I tend to prefer guy friends, or girls that aren't overly stereotypical girly? Most girls seem to be really into shopping, bitching, more bitching, I honestly can't keep up with the drama, nor want to. A lot of girls I know just seem to blow up and make a big deal out of everything and get over emotional whereas I've always been really chilled out and just go with the flow of life :cool:

I start Uni in September and will be studying a very male dominated course, so maybe I'll change my opinion later :biggrin:

This. I can't stand talking about people behind their back, and drama in friendship groups, and girl groups seem full of it. Really passive aggressive and boring. Cannot be arsed with it :lol:
I don't know how there are so few girls who get along with girls, I have so many great female friends! I don't understand how some people only know "bitchy" girls who just care about stereotypically girly things.. Obviously there are some girls I don't get along with, but for the most part I get along fine with girls :tongue:
I get along equally well with both genders. Girls as friends are great for when you want to chat and chill. They also tend to have a calming effect on the lads on a night out. Unless some of the lads are attracted to the girl, then the funny but idiotic macho games begin.
This. I can't stand talking about people behind their back, and drama in friendship groups, and girl groups seem full of it. Really passive aggressive and boring. Cannot be arsed with it :lol:

Yup, LOL. It's worse when you have inter friendship group dating going on. You stay out of the loop for 2 days and suddenly the group will be split in two. Seriously drives me crazy. When I'm hanging out with just my guy friends they seem to forgive and get over whatever issue it was and move on with life without acting like it's WWIII.
Reply 13
I'm okay with both genders, I'd pick a guy with a brilliant personality over a girl with a terrible personality and vice versa ^-^ but sadly I tend to get too self conscious around guys and have more girl friends because of it.
Reply 14

This did happen in my friendship groups quite a lot when I was younger, I look back on it now and there was a lot of silly drama over petty things.
i prefer the company of my girlFs but i dnt mind either way. Tbh my girlFs are more usd to my craziness than guyFs
Original post by gemmam
This did happen in my friendship groups quite a lot when I was younger, I look back on it now and there was a lot of silly drama over petty things.

I just dislike it, and they seem to get annoyed by my refusal to partake in silly games
I don't prefer either gender for friends. But there are some subjects which I tend to talk about more with guys and vice versa. For example most girls I know are not interested that much in football so I wouldn't talk about that nearly as much as I would with male friends.

I feel as if some girls jump on the "girls are bitches so I prefer hanging out with guys" brigade because they think it makes them special or something.
Better than girls I guess, still not that good TBH

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've only had one real male friend. I've got a couple of male acquaintances and had a male housemate but we weren't particularly close, we'd talk and have a laugh but I'd never spend time individually with him really...
I don't really know if I get on with guys better. I was in a girls school from aged 11 to 18 then was on a female dominated course at university (and lived with majority girls).
In my experience being friends with guys is dodgy ground, one side always ends up with feelings for the other. For example, my male best friend at the time told me he was in love with me, and it just made things awkward. I'd love to be in a big mixed group but it always happens that I'm surrounded by girls (and the occasion gay guy!)

Quick Reply

Latest