The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in GCSE german writing?

What are some general tips about getting an A* in German writing coursework? my target grade is an A, but I'm not very good at reading or listening so I want to make my coursework the best it can be in case I fail those exams. We've been giving this sheet about what we should include so now everybody is going to follow the sheet, but I want to go further and show the examiner different skills. What are some tricks I can use to boost my grade? Last time I got a C, but that was just bad German on my part and I've definitely improved since then. I recently got an A in my German speaking too.

edit: also, the topic is about free time.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
-back up every opinion with a justification, outside of the usual 'it's fun/interesting' etc.
-Use at least past, present and future (both 'I would/ I will)
-Make sure it's accurate
-Write in as much detail as possible, most of your marks are for content

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kittykatieboo
What are some general tips about getting an A* in German writing coursework? my target grade is an A, but I'm not very good at reading or listening so I want to make my coursework the best it can be in case I fail those exams. We've been giving this sheet about what we should include so now everybody is going to follow the sheet, but I want to go further and show the examiner different skills. What are some tricks I can use to boost my grade? Last time I got a C, but that was just bad German on my part and I've definitely improved since then. I recently got an A in my German speaking too.

I did GCSE German Last Year and although I came out with a B overall, I got A/A* grades in my coursework:

In all pieces of writing, make sure to use all three tenses: past, present and future, and use them accurately.
Do not just talk about yourself, talk about other people, giving you the opportunity to use different pronouns.
Use loads of describing words. E.g. 'Kurze blonde Haare', rather than just 'Haare'
Give an opinion in every paragraph, and give a reason for that opinion. E.g. 'Ich hasse Englisch, weil es langweilig ist'
Try and make sure there are little to no errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar. Make a draft piece, get your teacher to read and correct it, then memorise the correct piece for when you do the real thing.

Hope this helps!
Literally get someone German to check your draft and memorise it
Reply 4

Use about 7 tenses - present, future, perfect, imperfect, conditional perfect, conditional future etc
Use intensifiers but NOT sehr of ziemlich - try unglaublich (incredibly)
Use subordinating conjunctions - weil, obwohl but vary with da, damit, etc
Use adverts of time - in der zunkuft, nachste Woche,
Use opinions and vary - nach mir, ich denke
Use modal verbs - sollen etc
Say how often - eg manchmal
Describe what you're talking about

To help remember you've got everything use RAINCOAT
Reasons, adjectives, intensifiers, nouns, connectives, opinions, adverbs of time, tenses

Every time you do one of these do a little tally. Aim for as many as possible.

EDIT: You should do a draft which your teacher will mark and then go off to learn. Learn all of it if you can, and remember capitals for nouns (easily forgotten) and learn gender of all words. You're allowed a dictionary in the exam so if you have a mind blank it's not all over. Remember a lot of dictionaries have a grammar section in the middle so if you write something new check, double check, and triple check it with the dictionary to check it's not wrong. A single mistake could cost you a grade

Another edit: Words NOT to use include gut, sehr, ziemlich, langweilig, basically anything you learnt in year 7 or 8. Look up good adjectives in the dictionary and use, impresses examiner.
(edited 9 years ago)

if you want PM your work and I can proof read it for you.

Basically here is a list....
1. use interesting vocabulary, describe things in detail for example 'the dark red polka dot jacket'
2. accuracy is vital- remember the orders of the sentences i.e. verb comes second, end of the sentence etc
3. be creative, let your imagination run wild. It doesnt have to be true!
4. justification- justify your reasons and things use words like weil and so on
5. Using interesting words to start your sentences such as although, on the other hand however unfortunately
6. Explain in detail !
7. Give your opinions- how you felt, what you think
8. Use a check list to make sure you have 2-3 things of each atleast
9. Use all three tenses and the conditional if you can i.e. 'would'

these are the main things needed, but remember accuracy is key!
I did gcse german back in 2010-11 and got A* in my courseworks (around 28 and 29/30 for my controlled assessments)
could try and dish out afew but I doubt I have them.

Good luck
I used to get someone to check it too and then memorise and go in the exam. Thats how controlled assessment works :') exam boards didnt think it through aha
Reply 7
Try use some idiomatic sentences, ones that don't have a direct translation back into English. This always looks impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jwf13
-back up every opinion with a justification, outside of the usual 'it's fun/interesting' etc.
-Use at least past, present and future (both 'I would/ I will)
-Make sure it's accurate
-Write in as much detail as possible, most of your marks are for content

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've started to write it in detail, but it's turning into a story almost. is that good or bad? thanks for your reply :smile:
Original post by snikutsmullac
I did GCSE German Last Year and although I came out with a B overall, I got A/A* grades in my coursework:

In all pieces of writing, make sure to use all three tenses: past, present and future, and use them accurately.
Do not just talk about yourself, talk about other people, giving you the opportunity to use different pronouns.
Use loads of describing words. E.g. 'Kurze blonde Haare', rather than just 'Haare'
Give an opinion in every paragraph, and give a reason for that opinion. E.g. 'Ich hasse Englisch, weil es langweilig ist'
Try and make sure there are little to no errors in spelling, punctuation and grammar. Make a draft piece, get your teacher to read and correct it, then memorise the correct piece for when you do the real thing.

Hope this helps!

thanks, though my teacher does not check our work very thoroughly because it's our coursework :/ however, most of what I am going to use for my coursework will be from previous homeworks he has already marked.
Original post by AdamCee
Use about 7 tenses - present, future, perfect, imperfect, conditional perfect, conditional future etc
Use intensifiers but NOT sehr of ziemlich - try unglaublich (incredibly)
Use subordinating conjunctions - weil, obwohl but vary with da, damit, etc
Use adverts of time - in der zunkuft, nachste Woche,
Use opinions and vary - nach mir, ich denke
Use modal verbs - sollen etc
Say how often - eg manchmal
Describe what you're talking about

To help remember you've got everything use RAINCOAT
Reasons, adjectives, intensifiers, nouns, connectives, opinions, adverbs of time, tenses

Every time you do one of these do a little tally. Aim for as many as possible.

EDIT: You should do a draft which your teacher will mark and then go off to learn. Learn all of it if you can, and remember capitals for nouns (easily forgotten) and learn gender of all words. You're allowed a dictionary in the exam so if you have a mind blank it's not all over. Remember a lot of dictionaries have a grammar section in the middle so if you write something new check, double check, and triple check it with the dictionary to check it's not wrong. A single mistake could cost you a grade

Another edit: Words NOT to use include gut, sehr, ziemlich, langweilig, basically anything you learnt in year 7 or 8. Look up good adjectives in the dictionary and use, impresses examiner.

thanks! this is super helpful! did you do/ are doing gcse german? Also, do you think I will need the pluperfect tense to get an A* in writing or not? What even is it? haha :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by derma2019
if you want PM your work and I can proof read it for you.

Basically here is a list....
1. use interesting vocabulary, describe things in detail for example 'the dark red polka dot jacket'
2. accuracy is vital- remember the orders of the sentences i.e. verb comes second, end of the sentence etc
3. be creative, let your imagination run wild. It doesnt have to be true!
4. justification- justify your reasons and things use words like weil and so on
5. Using interesting words to start your sentences such as although, on the other hand however unfortunately
6. Explain in detail !
7. Give your opinions- how you felt, what you think
8. Use a check list to make sure you have 2-3 things of each atleast
9. Use all three tenses and the conditional if you can i.e. 'would'

these are the main things needed, but remember accuracy is key!
I did gcse german back in 2010-11 and got A* in my courseworks (around 28 and 29/30 for my controlled assessments)
could try and dish out afew but I doubt I have them.

Good luck

thanks so much! well done in your courseworks, did you use the pluperfect tense to get an A*?
Original post by econam
Try use some idiomatic sentences, ones that don't have a direct translation back into English. This always looks impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, we've been given a few idioms, but sadly none of them really fit with the topic we're doing the writing about so I don't want to look stupid and put an idiom in halfway through saying 'the first steps are always the hardest'. Do you know any idioms I could maybe use? Is alle Jubeljahre an idiom? thank-you! :smile:
thanks so much! well done in your courseworks, did you use the pluperfect tense to get an A*?

I cant remember tbh because I did it a long time ago, but what I did do is use whatever I could and sometimes I would use the revision guide or internet to find model phrases and change the words to suit what I wanted.

A good website is this:
http://www.dict.cc
Reply 14
Yes, we've been given a few idioms, but sadly none of them really fit with the topic we're doing the writing about so I don't want to look stupid and put an idiom in halfway through saying 'the first steps are always the hardest'. Do you know any idioms I could maybe use? Is alle Jubeljahre an idiom? thank-you! :smile:

I didn't do German but instead did French so couldn't tell you, but that is what my teacher advised us to do. I used to Google interesting French idioms and try use some of those - try that :smile:
Not bragging but I got full marks on the first and dropped 2 marks on the other.

I wrote 2-3 A4 pages regular size writing, and I got someone german to check it :biggrin: :biggrin:
thanks! this is super helpful! did you do/ are doing gcse german? Also, do you think I will need the pluperfect tense to get an A* in writing or not? What even is it? haha :smile:

Yeah I am doing German. And whoops I missed that one - we never learnt pluperfect as a tense just to say hatte for I had, for example. But yes that's a good one to use too

Basically, it's another form of past tense. Just instead of saying 'I played tennis' (Ich habe Tennis gespielt) for example, it would be 'I HAD played tennis' (Ich hatte Tennis gespielt) so yeah it varies it a little more.

The sein version is 'I had been' etc, which is similar

Like all forms of haben and sein, it is irregular
Ich hatte
Du hattest
Er/sie/es hatte
Wir hatten
Ihr hattet
sie/Sie hatten

And for sein it is
Ich war
Du warst
er/sie/es war
Wir waren
Ihr wart
sie/Sie waren

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 17
I've started to write it in detail, but it's turning into a story almost. is that good or bad? thanks for your reply :smile:

If you're talking about holidays/diet, a synopsis of routines/days is fine, as long as you don't start rambling about irrelevant things- an A* response is 'fully relevant'. Basically, if you;re describing a situation, use imaginative vocabulary, and write as much as you can without going too off topic.

Example, if you're describing a holiday, talk about:

-Where/When/Who
-What did you do
-What did you eat
-When did you wake up
-Any special memories
-Do you want to go back (so you've got two tenses in there)

Then throw in some opinions and complex structures. As a rule of thumb for AQA assessments, 300 words for an A*, 50+ per paragraph. I usually wrote about 500/600, but that was excessive :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
thanks, though my teacher does not check our work very thoroughly because it's our coursework :/ however, most of what I am going to use for my coursework will be from previous homeworks he has already marked.

Really? I always gave my teacher a draft piece of coursework, she corrected it, I memorised it, then wrote the piece out from memory under controlled conditions D:
honestly? find someone german. get a german tutor.
i had a german tutor for the end of the year and my last speaking and writing assessments, and my writing went up from a B to a solid A*.
yes, all of the things listed above help you get good marks BUT that's only if your german writing is not 100% accurate.
if you do not have anyone german who can correct your work PERFECTLY, then you need to include everything in the bullet points above, and overcompensate, you need to write everything that is expected of you and write lots of it.
if you have someone german, like a private tutor (mine was especially amazing - she was a native german who was multi lingual) then you don't need to do those things. you can get away with writing the bare minimum, but it has to be PERFECT.

for example:
my friend loved german - she wasn't a native speaker, but she loved it. she put lots of effort into her writing essays, included everything they could possibly be looking for in the answer, she wrote hundreds of words. learnt hundreds of words. not all of it was accurate, but by the sheer amount of content she included she got an a*.
i hated german. my parents got me a private german tutor who was a student teacher at my school to come and help me as it was one of the subject letting me down. she also tried to include everything content-wise that was expected of me. the minimum to write was 200 words. 250-300 was preferred. i memorised barely 200, in fact it might have been less, but because i memorised less of the german word for word perfect i got an a*.

my german tutor had read over the essays in class and told me that my friend didn't write everything correctly in german - she just wrote so much and included so much content that she still got an a*. so really, you have two options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending