The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

They weren't officially released, they were leaked in a security botch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will be avoid reading them as I want to enjoy the stories for the first time when they air later this year. But I have seen that the opening episode is 79 minutes long! Good to see!
Also avoiding spoilers - although it's very tempting to go looking for them! I know it'll be worth the wait, though, and I'll kick myself if I spoil the surprises.
Going off topic here (the leaked scripts) but I was quite shocked to find out so many people hated The Time of the Doctor, I remember SFX gave it a crap review when it first aired, but I don't think they have any credibility so I ignored it, only to now realise a lot of people didn't like it. Personally I think it's the best regeneration episode since the series returned in 2005, and definitely better than The End of Time which I thought was an overblown mess. In fact The End of Time and Journeys End are the only season finale's that I've never re-watched because I thought they were all over the place and incredibly dumbed down. I always buy the series box sets, and the specials box set is the only one I haven't bought because I think The End of Time is a waste of money.

I feel people disliked The Time of The Doctor because it broke away from the traditional Christmas episode mould and and was at large treated like a regular regeneration episode, meaning casual viewers couldn't keep up. I could be wrong, but if I'm right that's such a silly reason to hate the episode.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Subat
Going off topic here (the leaked scripts) but I was quite shocked to find out so many people hated The Time of the Doctor, I remember SFX gave it a crap review when it first aired, but I don't think they have any credibility so I ignored it, only to now realise a lot of people didn't like it. Personally I think it's the best regeneration episode since the series returned in 2005, and definitely better than The End of Time which I thought was an overblown mess. In fact The End of Time and Journeys End are the only season finale's that I've never re-watched because I thought they were all over the place and incredibly dumbed down. I always buy the series box sets, and the specials box set is the only one I haven't bought because I think The End of Time is a waste of money.

I feel people disliked The Time of The Doctor because it broke away from the traditional Christmas episode mould and and was at large treated like a regular regeneration episode, meaning casual viewers couldn't keep up. I could be wrong, but if I'm right that's such a silly reason to hate the episode.

I disliked it because it was a poor story line with plot holes and Moffat's favourite "girl needs the man to survive" trope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where can I find these scripts?
I'm not a massive fan of the special or the regeneration, I thought that the Name of the Doctor was better than both.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I disliked it because it was a poor story line with plot holes and Moffat's favourite "girl needs the man to survive" trope

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plot holes?

What did you think of the day of the doctor? I thought it would have been perfect if it wasn't for the ridiculous Queen Elizabeth sub plot.
I loved Eccleston's regeneration. No pointless faffing around, just a good joke and then goodbye.
I agree Eccleston's regeneration was one of the best.
Tennant.. He's a brilliant actor though and the scene needed him.
Tennant's an excellent actor, no doubt. I just really disliked his swan song. It's bad writing, the acting was great.
I quite liked Tennants regeneration (aside from that it meant Tennant was done), but good doctors have been done over by awful scripts - case it point, Paul McGann

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Subat
Plot holes?

What did you think of the day of the doctor? I thought it would have been perfect if it wasn't for the ridiculous Queen Elizabeth sub plot.

I can't remember off top of my head, but things like "how did Clara manage to travel on outside of TARDIS without dying?"

Disliked Day of the Doctor as well...sadly DW has gone from being one of my fav shows to a show I watch in the hopes that something good happens, then being disappointed.
I can't remember off top of my head, but things like "how did Clara manage to travel on outside of TARDIS without dying?"

Disliked Day of the Doctor as well...sadly DW has gone from being one of my fav shows to a show I watch in the hopes that something good happens, then being disappointed.

I don't think Clara did in time of the doctor - I know she used the vortex manipulator in day, but the time agents jack mentioned in series one dis that all the time and they were presumably not immortal.

I think the biggest gripe with time was the resolution to needing more regenerations - that despite having found the right universe and having an army the size of a planet, the time lords didn't come through and just gifted him some more regenerations. It generally felt like a shoddily written resolution to a 3 series plot arc in the cracks in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I don't think Clara did in time of the doctor - I know she used the vortex manipulator in day, but the time agents jack mentioned in series one dis that all the time and they were presumably not immortal.

I think the biggest gripe with time was the resolution to needing more regenerations - that despite having found the right universe and having an army the size of a planet, the time lords didn't come through and just gifted him some more regenerations. It generally felt like a shoddily written resolution to a 3 series plot arc in the cracks in time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I swear she did, but maybe memory is wrong...only watched it once.

Yes that was very poor, but would have been no good way to go about it I guess
I swear she did, but maybe memory is wrong...only watched it once.

Yes that was very poor, but would have been no good way to go about it I guess

True, they wrote themselves into a corner with the stuff about trenzalore - although time pretty much negates what happens in name, since he no longer dies at trenzalore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
True, they wrote themselves into a corner with the stuff about trenzalore - although time pretty much negates what happens in name, since he no longer dies at trenzalore

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is why Moffat should not be chief writer
I've heard a few people say this so I want to know if people know it is true. If it is it is a serious spoiler so only read if you are ok with possible (hopefully not true) spoilers.

Spoiler

Just saw the half time trailer...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending