The Student Room Group

Tarot Card reading

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ronove
Because people are idiots with mind-numbingly uneventful lives. Not to mention that it's likely a fun group activity to take friends to and serves as gossip-fodder for at least a week afterwards. I say this as someone whose mother has been to 'psychics' a few times and lets herself believe what they say no matter how much you point out that she's only focusing on the things they get right, no matter how vague or off they are and how much things they obviously get very wrong, and who has an aunt (not related to my mother) who actually does or used to do tarot readings for money.

My mother happens to be very obsessed with psychic readings. When I got my tarot reading, the woman learned how to read tarot cards for a decade, and her mentor has a stall beside her as well. I've constantly been thinking like how a deck of cards can determine my future - and people say it's spiritual... and you basically transfer your 'energy' to the cards. I did also ask about relationships, and it seemed pretty damn accurate..
oh gosh, don't even know how to feel!
Reply 21
Original post by jsccsx1
My mother happens to be very obsessed with psychic readings. When I got my tarot reading, the woman learned how to read tarot cards for a decade, and her mentor has a stall beside her as well. I've constantly been thinking like how a deck of cards can determine my future - and people say it's spiritual... and you basically transfer your 'energy' to the cards. I did also ask about relationships, and it seemed pretty damn accurate..

People say a lot of things to justify taking your money and to excuse the idiocy of them letting others take their money.
Reply 22
Original post by hellodave5
Lots of Barnum statements and cold reading it seems!

Yeah a lot of the time they say things like "Hmm I'm picking up that theres someone in your life; do you know a Peter? A Paul then?" etc. One I had a reading with most recently said something about my boyfriend and I going on a working holiday together. Neither of us are interested in that kind of thing so it's highly unlikely to happen; but as a lot of people our age are interested in travel she probably thought it might've been something either one or both of us may want to do or plan to do in the near future.
This isn't the best place to ask that question :smile:
Wrong. Unless you meant to say "some people are better at convincing the gullible and parting them from their money than others".
Original post by jsccsx1

Please, don't go down that road. It's absolute nonsense and you mustn't let it get to you.
Your mother is a lost cause, please don't follow her.
Original post by gemmam
Yeah a lot of the time they say things like "Hmm I'm picking up that theres someone in your life; do you know a Peter? A Paul then?" etc. One I had a reading with most recently said something about my boyfriend and I going on a working holiday together. Neither of us are interested in that kind of thing so it's highly unlikely to happen; but as a lot of people our age are interested in travel she probably thought it might've been something either one or both of us may want to do or plan to do in the near future.

Yeah... complete bull... the only way it can really turn out to be accurate is through self-fulfilment of the statements, which can be quite a significant effect (if you believe the validity of the person).
Reply 27
The meaning of each individual card is pretty abstract which is then compounded by the fact you interpret them as a spread.

Its quite interesting doing a reading on yourself and seeing what meaning you give to the cards.

When the cards represent things like money, intellect, changes your bound to find something in your personal circumstances that can be related to the cards.
Any prediction of the future is going to be based on your feelings in the present, events in the past and the broad directions the cards point you in. The tarot reader is going to be reading you as much as the cards.

As to its accuracy at predictng the future ? Nonsense, unless you believe in the whole "Law of Attraction" theory - in which case there might be some merit in a reading :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jsccsx1
how accurate are they? I was told they cannot predict the future but they act only as a guidance. in that case, it's not possible to answer yes or no questions then ?

It is all mumbo jumbo aimed at gullible people to scare the bejesus out of them. They are no more accurate than star signs, homeopathy, palm reading and all the other poop put out there by charlatans.

Just move on and don't be so stupid next time.

Oh and watch out for nigerian begging letters saying you are a beneficiary to an enormous estate (you are just the sort of person they want)
Original post by hellodave5
Yeah... complete bull... the only way it can really turn out to be accurate is through self-fulfilment of the statements, which can be quite a significant effect (if you believe the validity of the person).

Yep, subjective validation is a powerful thing, and the ally of tricksters and charlatans.
I don't think they can predict the future.

However, I think that doing a reading for yourself on a problem / situation you currently have can be useful as I think the rich meanings of the cards can help bring out thoughts in your sub-conscious. This might help you to understand the problem more clearly. This isn't anything "magic", this is just like when you do something that triggers a memory of a dream - but tarot cards are more likely to trigger a thought because each card has a lot of imagery and detail captured in it. At least, that's what I've used them for and I've found them to be helpful.

They can also be used for meditation. Sometimes I choose a card with a quality I want to improve and spend a long time exploring it. I find it helps.

Tarot cards are just pictures on cardboard, like playing cards - the actual cards are not magical. But I think the powerful artwork on the cards can be a great tool in helping to explore your own thoughts a bit more deeply. Some people would argue that tarot cards go further and can predict things with "magical" accuracy. I think that as each card has so many different meanings, it is not difficult to bend a spread to be what you expect it to be or look at it in hindsight and say it predicted an event. That said, I am open-minded about spirituality and psychic ability in humans. However I think it would be far more subtle than what "fortune tellers" and tarot card readers generally suggest.
Reply 31
Original post by AlesanaWill
I don't think they can predict the future.

However, I think that doing a reading for yourself on a problem / situation you currently have can be useful as I think the rich meanings of the cards can help bring out thoughts in your sub-conscious. This might help you to understand the problem more clearly. This isn't anything "magic", this is just like when you do something that triggers a memory of a dream - but tarot cards are more likely to trigger a thought because each card has a lot of imagery and detail captured in it. At least, that's what I've used them for and I've found them to be helpful.

They can also be used for meditation. Sometimes I choose a card with a quality I want to improve and spend a long time exploring it. I find it helps.

Tarot cards are just pictures on cardboard, like playing cards - the actual cards are not magical. But I think the powerful artwork on the cards can be a great tool in helping to explore your own thoughts a bit more deeply. Some people would argue that tarot cards go further and can predict things with "magical" accuracy. I think that as each card has so many different meanings, it is not difficult to bend a spread to be what you expect it to be or look at it in hindsight and say it predicted an event. That said, I am open-minded about spirituality and psychic ability in humans. However I think it would be far more subtle than what "fortune tellers" and tarot card readers generally suggest.

yeah it makes sense, but in terms of what i asked, it was a yes or a no question. and I happened to have gotten a "no".. so it hasn't helped me in any way sub consciously. In the case of a yes or no question the cards would practically be answering that, right? in the same way = the future.
Reply 32
Original post by just a dad
Please, don't go down that road. It's absolute nonsense and you mustn't let it get to you.
Your mother is a lost cause, please don't follow her.

I'm avoiding that path. I guess when I got a "no", it has affected me psychologically.
Reply 33
Original post by Ronove
Having a good imagination and being practised in the art of bull****ting will most certainly make someone more convincing.

I asked a yes or no question, i managed to pick the "death card".... = indicating the answer was no... i dont know where that bull**** came from then?!
Original post by jsccsx1
I asked a yes or no question, i managed to pick the "death card".... = indicating the answer was no... i dont know where that bull**** came from then?!

It's all bull****.
Original post by jsccsx1
how accurate are they? I was told they cannot predict the future but they act only as a guidance. in that case, it's not possible to answer yes or no questions then ?

They can certainly not predict the future! Like you said, they are meant as guidance :smile: Tarot is not intended to answer specific yes or no questions. Most say it also shouldn't be used to make decisions, but instead should be used as a guide to help you make the decision yourself. So the way a question is stated is very important.
They aren't accurate to any degree, the predictions are nothing more than barnum statements.
Original post by Pop_tart
They can certainly not predict the future! Like you said, they are meant as guidance :smile: Tarot is not intended to answer specific yes or no questions. Most say it also shouldn't be used to make decisions, but instead should be used as a guide to help you make the decision yourself. So the way a question is stated is very important.

I can think of a more Anglo-Saxon word than "guidance"!
Original post by just a dad
I can think of a more Anglo-Saxon word than "guidance"!

Please elaborate :tongue: What word were you thinking of? :smile:
Original post by Pop_tart
Please elaborate :tongue: What word were you thinking of? :smile:

I'm sure that forum rules would prevent my giving an honest answer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending