The Student Room Group

cant concentrate on tasks, always procrastinating, could this be ADHD?

Hello all,

Im a 24 year old man.

I always leave eveything to the very last minute eg I run to get buses etc, left revision until the last miniute

My procrastination stops me from achieving things, I cant even concentrate on reading a book, I just skim through the pages.

I always did find it difficult to concentrate throughout my life.

My room is messy for example, I have difficulty finishing task that I start.

Is this 'normal' or a cause for concern?

I have heard of ADHD which can have these symptoms.

Scroll to see replies

Nope, you've just got rubbish time management skills.
Reply 2
Original post by bloomblaze
Hello all,

Im a 24 year old man.

I always leave eveything to the very last minute eg I run to get buses etc, left revision until the last miniute

My procrastination stops me from achieving things, I cant even concentrate on reading a book, I just skim through the pages.

I always did find it difficult to concentrate throughout my life.

My room is messy for example, I have difficulty finishing task that I start.

Is this 'normal' or a cause for concern?

I have heard of ADHD which can have these symptoms.

I have ADHD and Autism and let me tell you that eternal procrastination is a universal feature with the disorder..

However, that doesn't necessarily dictate that you have ADHD.

Do you feel chaotic? Like no matter how hard you try, you always screw up? Would you describe yourself as hyperactive?
I have those symptoms, as well as the inability to sit still, the inability to do one thing at a time (I'm always doing 100 things at once), I talk super fast and loud, walk super fast, have 100 thoughts running through my head hurtling at superspeed so I can't even verbalise them, I get so excited I literally shake. Best way I can describe it is like this.

I also get really annoyed about things that don't go right, and when I was younger used to smash plates, and I'm really fiery tempered. I can't organise stuff, so if someone says something like "tidy up" and there's mess everywhere, I physically can't do it because I get so overwhelmed by so many ideas bouncing off me, I just freeze and end up doing nothing. I also get bored half way through and start something else. I get bored really easily and I'm super impatient, I get described as if I'm "on superspeed" :lol:

I was told off record that I have all the symptoms and most likely suffer from ADHD, but I don't want to get a diagnosis so. My dad also has the same symptoms as me
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kasa
I have ADHD and Autism and let me tell you that eternal procrastination is a universal feature with the disorder..

Do you feel chaotic? Like no matter how hard you try, you always screw up? Would you describe yourself as hyperactive?

I wouldnt describe myself as hyperactive.

I can get nothing done due to procrastination.

I could take a week off work and aim to get x,y,z done but get nothing done- I would do the 'i'll start tomorow' approach

can you describe your ADHD symptoms to me please?
Reply 5
I find it hard to read at times.

I buy newspapers/get library books and never bloody read them
Reply 6
Original post by Kasa

Im not totally sure if hyperctive would be the right word but I am a bit restless at times
I find it hard to read at times.

I buy newspapers/get library books and never bloody read them

Comics. They're the only thing I can read because I don't have the attention span for books :lol:

There are a few choice books that interest me, and keep me hooked, but it's not many..
Reply 8
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Comics. They're the only thing I can read because I don't have the attention span for books :lol:

There are a few choice books that interest me, and keep me hooked, but it's not many..

I AWAYS start a novel and lose interest.

I did finish novels when I was a kid though.
I AWAYS start a novel and lose interest.

I did finish novels when I was a kid though.

Yeah it happens to me a lot :lol:
Reply 10
I wouldnt describe myself as hyperactive.

I can get nothing done due to procrastination.

I could take a week off work and aim to get x,y,z done but get nothing done- I would do the 'i'll start tomorow' approach

can you describe your ADHD symptoms to me please?

Difficult maintaining friendships/relationships;Low confidence; Impulsive behavior..

But the chaos.. The chaos can ruin everything..
Original post by Kasa
Difficult maintaining friendships/relationships;Low confidence; Impulsive behavior..

But the chaos.. The chaos can ruin everything..

what is 'chaos'?
Reply 12
what is 'chaos'?

Just a mess: Time-keeping, sloppy dress sense, forgetfulness...
Original post by Kasa
Just a mess: Time-keeping, sloppy dress sense, forgetfulness...

You have the forgetfullness too? I'm always getting in trouble because I forget simple things, because my mind is occupied with so much other stuff
Reply 14
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
You have the forgetfullness too? I'm always getting in trouble because I forget simple things, because my mind is occupied with so much other stuff

BIG TIME.. But remember, we all have these features, but they are exaggerated with ADHD.
what is 'chaos'?

Do you find your attention wandering frequently without realising? For example, you are sitting listening to someone talking about a not-so-interesting topic and the next thing you know, you are thinking of something completely unrelated and you don't know what the person has said in the last five minutes. Usually, even if you try to control it, you can't stop it from happening.
Do you constantly fiddle and jig your leg etc. when seated? Do you say and do things without thinking first all the time?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kasa
BIG TIME.. But remember, we all have these features, but they are exaggerated with ADHD.

Mine is ridiculous. Like I go out with a list of shopping to get, come back eight hours later because I saw a cheap train ticket advertised, hopped on, got distracted by something shiny, bought a ****load of stuff I didn't need and ignored what I actually set out to do and think the whole thing took me 10 minutes. Whoops.
Original post by SatanicGecko
Do you find your attention wandering without realising? For example, you are sitting listening to someone talking about a not-so-interesting topic and the next thing you know, you are thinking of something completely unrelated and you don't know what the person has said in the last five minutes.

Not really, no....

It happens to me, but not often.

I think we all daydream at times when someone is boring us with an uninteresting conversation, right??
Not really, no....

It happens to me, but not often.

I think we all daydream at times when someone is boring us with an uninteresting conversation, right??

Oh, I edited that to include some more : ) That really depends, sometimes your attention may wander during lectures, speeches, even watching TV but you don't even realise.
Type ADHD and look at the symptoms; it doesn't matter whether you have ADHD or not unless it affects you adversely. Usually, it's diagnosed due to disruptive behaviour in school
Original post by SatanicGecko
Do you find your attention wandering frequently without realising? For example, you are sitting listening to someone talking about a not-so-interesting topic and the next thing you know, you are thinking of something completely unrelated and you don't know what the person has said in the last five minutes. Usually, even if you try to control it, you can't stop it from happening.
Do you constantly fiddle and jig your leg etc. when seated? Do you say and do things without thinking first all the time?

No, not really to the bold bits.

Do you have ADHD?

IF so, please tell me about your symptoms please?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest