The Student Room Group

I fear I might be rejected although I met the requirements

Hey guys,

I am holding a conditional offer, and have got my qualification results (I met the conditions) last thursday. I have submitted them to the university on the very same day I got them but haven't heard anything since then.

The problem is, I am an international student and one of my conditions was to obtain an IELTS score of 7(they asked for it although I mentioned on UCAS that I hold it in addition to putting the date I took it). I took the test on 15th of September 2012 and it is valid for 2 years. On university's website it says the test must be valid on the day the course starts (which is 15th of September 2014) and my test will be expired on the very same date.

Do you think they would reject me right away without even telling me just for that reason? I am taking the test on 19th of July again, but while sending them my qualification results and my IELTS certificate via e-mail I haven't mentioned it to the university or called them in order not the draw their attention to the point.

I would appreciate any advice and thoughts, as I am really stressed. Thank you :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by euphorie
Hey guys,

I am holding a conditional offer for law at Manchester, and have got my qualification results (I met the conditions) last thursday. I have submitted them to the university on the very same day I got them but haven't heard anything since then.

The problem is, I am an international student and one of my conditions was to obtain an IELTS score of 7(they asked for it although I mentioned on UCAS that I hold it in addition to putting the date I took it). I took the test on 15th of September 2012 and it is valid for 2 years. On university's website it says the test must be valid on the day the course starts (which is 15th of September 2014) and my test will be expired on the very same date.

Do you think they would reject me right away without even telling me just for that reason? I am taking the test on 19th of July again, but while sending them my qualification results and my IELTS certificate via e-mail I haven't mentioned it to the university or called them in order not the draw their attention to the point.

I would appreciate any advice and thoughts, as I am really stressed. Thank you :frown:

If it lasts for 2 years then surely it will expire on the 14th
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
If it lasts for 2 years then surely it will expire on the 14th

Are you sure? Cause as I took the exam on the 15th, wouldn't 2 years later 15th be also included?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It sounds like you haven't met the requirements but are trying to sneak in anyway. They may let you in, but are entitled to reject you.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
It sounds like you haven't met the requirements but are trying to sneak in anyway. They may let you in, but are entitled to reject you.

Do you think I should give them a call? Would they be too cruel to even reject me before asking me to take one more exam till 31st of August? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Do you think I should give them a call? Would they be too cruel to even reject me before asking me to take one more exam till 31st of August? :s-smilie:

It's not cruel though. You're trying to deceive them.
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
It's not cruel though. You're trying to deceive them.

Well, my condition was exactly "Pass at IELTS with overall band score of at least 7 with no less than 6.5 in any section" and there was no other official information on my offer letter.

The information on IELTS about the test being valid on the date the course starts is just on the website.

Am I still deceiving?
Reply 7
Well, my condition was exactly "Pass at IELTS with overall band score of at least 7 with no less than 6.5 in any section" and there was no other official information on my offer letter.

The information on IELTS about the test being valid on the date the course starts is just on the website.

Am I still deceiving?

Hi there! I'll try to give you a more informed reply as I'm an EU student myself. :smile:

1) Manchester is not going to reject you because of a ridiculous IELTS test. The most important thing was meeting the grade requirements. As for the English language requirement, universities can verify your IELTS scores online with your IELTS reference number (the day on which you took the test will also be displayed). They will let you know if they want you to sit another English language test.

2) If I were you, I would have called the admission office directly to ask about the IELTS test. They would have given you a quicker answer. Don't wait THAT long (i.e until July) when you know you have already sat the test and probably met one of the conditions of your offer.

3) It was a smart move booking another test as places get filled up quite quickly, especially in summer. As for whether or not you are deceiving the university, it totally depends on their policy. I know for a fact that some unis don't accept re-sits and others do. If it is not explicitely stated on their website, then I guess it's ok. :smile:

I'd suggest ringing the university today! They'll be able to deal with this. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Jenn.
Hi there! I'll try to give you a more informed reply as I'm an EU student myself. :smile:

1) Manchester is not going to reject you because of a ridiculous IELTS test. The most important thing was meeting the grade requirements. As for the English language requirement, universities can verify your IELTS scores online with your IELTS reference number (the day on which you took the test will also be shown). They will let you know if they want you to sit another English language test.

2) If I were you, I would have called the admission office directly and ask about my IELTS test. They would have given you a quicker answer. Don't wait THAT long (i.e until July) when you know you have already sat the test and probably met one of the conditions of your offer.

3) It was a smart move booking another test as places get filled quite fast, especially in summer. As for whether or not you are deceiving the university, it totally depends on their policy. I know for a fact that some unis don't accept re-sits. If it is not explicitely stated on their website, then I guess it's ok. :smile:

Thank you for such a relieving reply! I thought that would be ok to send them the one I already hold, until the results day I saw what it says on their website (which was not on my offer letter)... So do you think I should still give them a call and ask them if they would accept the IELTS I have already taken? Or would it draw their attention more to the point than if I didn't tell them?
Reply 9
Thank you for such a relieving reply! I thought that would be ok to send them the one I already hold, until the results day I saw what it says on their website (which was not on my offer letter)... So do you think I should still give them a call and ask them if they would accept the IELTS I have already taken? Or would it draw their attention more to the point than if I didn't tell them?

Always be honest. :smile: So, call them and ask if they'd accept your IELTS certificate, although it will no longer be valid in the start of term. If they say 'yes', then you know you are definitely in, since you met the other requirements. If the answer is no, ask if you can sit another test (if it's yes, then good for you, you already have a test booked; if it's no... I'd rather not imagine this situation for you.). :smile: You don't necessarily need to tell them you already booked another test! I mean it won't change anything to their decision (you'd just have prepared both situations in advance). It's your own money, you do whatever you want with it.

Is there a deadline for you? I had to send my results before a certain date, so....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Jenn.
Always be honest. :smile: So, call them and ask if they'd accept your IELTS certificate, although it will no longer be valid in the start of term. If they say 'yes', then you know you are definitely in, since you met the other requirements. If the answer is no, ask if you can sit another test (if it's yes, then good for you, you already have a test booked; if it's no... I'd rather not imagine this situation for you.). :smile: You don't necessarily need to tell them you already booked another test! I mean it won't change anything to their decision (you'd just have prepared both situations in advance). It's your own money, you do whatever you want with it.

Is there a deadline for you? I had to send my results before a certain date, so....

It's 31st of August but the thing is, I sent my results off the day I received them (10th of July). So they have my IELTS certificate (the one I mentioned above) in addition to my qualification results.
Reply 11
It's 31st of August but the thing is, I sent my results off the day I received them (10th of July). So they have my IELTS certificate (the one I mentioned above) in addition to my qualification results.

It's fine, then. :smile: Mine was July 25th for my university (I got my exam results on July 4th and sent them by post last friday - they don't accept scanned copies -, so it shall arrive in the UK this week), which didn't let me enough time! :eek: Now all you need to do is call them to know whether or not your IELTS is going to be a problem. Good luck! Hope everything goes well and you get in! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
If you call them and they say everything is ok, get them to confirm that in an email. Otherwise they could turn round later and say 'we never said that'.

Just in case they don't email you, get the name of the person you speak to and their job title, take notes of the conversation, and note the time and date.
Reply 13

Am I still deceiving?

Yes, but it sounds like you did it by accident rather than deliberately. However, the people who do do it deliberately would claim it was an accident if they were caught, so that might not be believable.

Original post by Jenn.

1) Manchester is not going to reject you because of a ridiculous IELTS test. The most important thing was meeting the grade requirements. As for the English language requirement, universities can verify your IELTS scores online with your IELTS reference number (the day on which you took the test will also be displayed). They will let you know if they want you to sit another English language test.

2) If I were you, I would have called the admission office directly to ask about the IELTS test. They would have given you a quicker answer. Don't wait THAT long (i.e until July) when you know you have already sat the test and probably met one of the conditions of your offer.

3) It was a smart move booking another test as places get filled up quite quickly, especially in summer. As for whether or not you are deceiving the university, it totally depends on their policy. I know for a fact that some unis don't accept re-sits and others do. If it is not explicitely stated on their website, then I guess it's ok. :smile:

I'd suggest ringing the university today! They'll be able to deal with this. :smile:

Their reply might be more reliving, but it's not necessarily correct. Just because you don't like an answer doesn't make it wrong. They can reject you, so Jenn saying they definitely won't is unrealistic. People have been rejected for similar things before - I've been on TSR for many years and have seen people post similar things.I haven't seen anyone with a one day out of date IELTS, but one day out of date is still out of date.
Reply 14
Original post by Juno
Yes, but it sounds like you did it by accident rather than deliberately. However, the people who do do it deliberately would claim it was an accident if they were caught, so that might not be believable.

Their reply might be more reliving, but it's not necessarily correct. Just because you don't like an answer doesn't make it wrong. They can reject you, so Jenn saying they definitely won't is unrealistic. People have been rejected for similar things before - I've been on TSR for many years and have seen people post similar things.I haven't seen anyone with a one day out of date IELTS, but one day out of date is still out of date.

It is not a day out. It is valid on 15th as well till midnight. Also, I have time to take it till 31st of August as it is the last date to meet the conditions.
Reply 15
It is not a day out. It is valid on 15th as well till midnight. Also, I have time to take it till 31st of August as it is the last date to meet the conditions.

Also, just because you keep saying something that doesn't make it true either. It is a day out of date. And whilst you have until August 31st to meet the requirements that's only if the exam was stated on your ucas form - which yours wasn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Juno
Also, just because you keep saying something that doesn't make it true either. It is a day out of date. And whilst you have until August 31st to meet the requirements that's only if the exam was stated on your ucas form - which yours wasn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam WAS stated on my UCAS form, as I have mentioned above.
Reply 17
The exam WAS stated on my UCAS form, as I have mentioned above.

Really? Your first post says you haven't mentioned the resit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are people being so obnoxious here?

My advice would be to email them explaining your situation truthfully, then if they say they won't accept your test then you can ask them if it is okay to sit it between now at September. It's likely that your English has improved over the course of 2 years, so it's no big deal.
Original post by Mike_123
Why are people being so obnoxious here?

My advice would be to email them explaining your situation truthfully, then if they say they won't accept your test then you can ask them if it is okay to sit it between now at September. It's likely that your English has improved over the course of 2 years, so it's no big deal.

Took the words from my mouth. Exactly this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending