The Student Room Group

World Cup 2014 Final: Germany vs Argentina

Scroll to see replies

Lost 2 grand **** sake!!
Original post by vickidc18
**** yessssssssssssss just won £150 yayyyyyyyyyyyy thanks Germany!!!

Original post by missfats
lost 500.

you lucky women. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
All you're doing is gambling and you will lose all your money if you keep doing it! :tongue:

Disappointed for Argentina. :frown: They had so many great opportunities. But the best team won in the end. Well done Germany! :smile:
Reality check - how many world class players in the England team?

NONE
Original post by Sophsha
Lost 2 grand **** sake!!

ouch. sophia! how did you get that money jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Away from Messi briefly: what do people think about Germany? Do you think they'll have a half-decade dominance like Spain (or even longer) or do you think this is their peak?

Obviously the immediate answer is to say that they'll go on to dominate, but it's not always as easy as that.
ouch. sophia! how did you get that money jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was supposed to be my driving lesson money, but bet it all now /:
Original post by Mr Smurf
Its more of a shame that Draxler is getting a medal. Has he even played a minute?

Think he came on against Algeria. Difficult to get any minutes though if you look at their attacking depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophsha
Lost 2 grand **** sake!!
woah, that's a lot! see my post above. :tongue: how much money have you got left? and what did you stand to win if you won the bet?
Germany have 15-20 potential youngsters coming through even. Reus wasn't even in the squad after getting injured. Just imagine that.
Original post by stefl14
Messi probably doesn't deserve player of the tournament but he has certainly been in the top 5 so it's not that bad. I am annoyed that Argentina didn't win purely because it will tarnish Messi's legacy in the eyes of so many people. The world cup argument infuriates me though. It implies that players can't be in the upper echelon of greats if they are from a lesser footballing nation. If Gotze didn't score that goal and Argentina won on penalties then Messi would somehow be considered much greater which is frankly ridiculous. Messi's club level achievements are far superior to both Pele's and Maradona's, in trophies as well as performance level. Why doesn't that count for anything? A player perhaps gets 2 shots at a world cup when they are anywhere near their prime and must have a host of top players with them to even have a slight chance of winning. I honestly don't know what pundits are thinking when they place so much importance on the world cup. As people have already said, if Messi decided to play for Spain he'd have a WC. This clearly makes the world cup reasoning stupid.

Messi's achievements superior than Pele's? Playing the Spanish League, the most pathetic and unequal league in the planet? Pele won 2 Libertadores, the South American version of the Champions League, MUCH HARDER to win. Even Garrincha was a better player and more victorious than Messi. Don't start saying nonsense, Messi always had help of great players, while Pelé won everything with his club, Garrincha as well, and Maradona.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Movember
woah, that's a lot! see my post above. :tongue: how much money have you got left? and what did you stand to win if you won the bet?

she's rich.

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have a lot left!:frown:
I bet all my driving lessons money which I saved during extra shifts :s-smilie:
If I won, I'd get get double so 4grand :frown:

Not anymore :frown:
Original post by KingMessi
Away from Messi briefly: what do people think about Germany? Do you think they'll have a half-decade dominance like Spain (or even longer) or do you think this is their peak?

Obviously the immediate answer is to say that they'll go on to dominate, but it's not always as easy as that.

It's an interesting question, and one I find difficult to answer. The reason I find it so difficult is that we could see weaknesses in the way Barcelona played, and this meant Spain were always going to have similar problems. Even teams like Celtic managed to beat Barca and it was always by 'parking the bus' and countering.

I find it very hard to identify such glaring weaknesses in the way Germany play, and I don't think there is one-size-fits-all tactic to take them on. As long as Germany keep producing the players, I think they will be hard to stop. I still like the look of France, though.
Original post by K_o_46
What an epic fail :wink:

I've won more than £30k in this WC. £1k/£7k loss did no harm.

They'll certainly be favourites for the euros, but Spain have enough players coming through that they could be back up there for 2018.
All you're doing is gambling and you will lose all your money if you keep doing it! :tongue:

Disappointed for Argentina. :frown: They had so many great opportunities. But the best team won in the end. Well done Germany! :smile:

Original post by Sophsha
I don't have a lot left!:frown:
I bet all my driving lessons money which I saved during extra shifts :s-smilie:
If I won, I'd get get double so 4grand :frown:

Beginners luck, never gambled before & I've just withdrawn the money, gamblings a mugs game but had to have my first flutter at the world cup. Nice memory!
& Sophsha you should never gamble money you can't afford to lose!!!! It's a game expect to lose!!
Original post by Sophsha
Lost 2 grand **** sake!!

What made you bet that?
Germany's not winning the next one. Like the UCL, it's too difficult to win consecutively nowadays

I don't think they will win three major tournaments in a row but they will certainly be a dominant force for years to come. The oldest of this crop of players produced by Germany's revamped youth system is Ozil who is 25.

EDIT: Forgot about Neuer who is 28 but still.. :p:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest