Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dekota-XS
What made you bet that?

She is a big Argentinan fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats
She is a big Argentinan fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see. What made you bet your £200 in the end?
Original post by vickidc18
Beginners luck, never gambled before & I've just withdrawn the money, gamblings a mugs game but had to have my first flutter at the world cup. Nice memory!
& Sophsha you should never gamble money you can't afford to lose!!!! It's a game expect to lose!!

What made you bet that?

I don't know, I was just really expecting Argentina to win /: I could have won 4grand!
Spain/Germany/France realistically have the young players coming through to win the next few major tournaments.
No other European team or any team are close to those 3 when it comes to young players coming through.
For all those 100s of millions spent by the English FA - the best we could produce was Sterling, Barkley, Chamberlain and whoever else.
Original post by KingMessi
Away from Messi briefly: what do people think about Germany? Do you think they'll have a half-decade dominance like Spain (or even longer) or do you think this is their peak?

Obviously the immediate answer is to say that they'll go on to dominate, but it's not always as easy as that.

There were a few people suggesting the same thing after the last World Cup to be fair. Looking at the players who were involved there's only Klose & possibly Mertesacker/Lahm who won't be at the next tournament, barring unforseeable circumstances like injury or loss of form. Not so much an issue when you've got the likes of ter Stegen, Schmelzer, Reus, & the Bender's who weren't even in the squad.

I really hope the FA look at this and learn a few lessons. This has been a good 15 years in the making.

Original post by cleveradam
Spain/Germany/France realistically have the young players coming through to win the next few major tournaments.
No other European team or any team are close to those 3 when it comes to young players coming through.
For all those 100s of millions spent by the English FA - the best we could produce was Sterling, Barkley, Chamberlain and whoever else.

Unless the FA/grass roots football is completely ripped apart and reformed from top to bottom, we'll be like Scotland in 20 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MichelBraga
Messi's achievements superior than Pele's? Playing the Spanish League, the most pathetic and unequal league in the planet? Pele won 2 Libertadores, the South American version of the Champions League, MUCH HARDER to win. Even Garrincha was a better player and more victorious than Messi. Don't start saying nonsense, Messi always had help of great players, while Pelé won everything with his club, Garrincha as well, and Maradona.

Zidane > than Pele and Maradonna in my opinion. My all time favourite is Ronaldo. His club achievements rival Messi and he was a beast on the international level. Messi is ridiculously good at dribblin but look at Ronaldo at his prime - he's as good, pacy but a much better finisher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah I see. What made you bet your £200 in the end?

Mainly the fact that I believed messi was saving his shoots till the final. Aswell as the defence is amazingly ridiculous.

but I was right until the final 7 mins. HOW did Germany bypass. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MichelBraga
Messi's achievements superior than Pele's? Playing the Spanish League, the most pathetic and unequal league in the planet? Pele won 2 Libertadores, the South American version of the Champions League, MUCH HARDER to win. Even Garrincha was a better player and more victorious than Messi. Don't start saying nonsense, Messi always had help of great players, while Pelé won everything with his club, Garrincha as well, and Maradona.

The quality of teams in Brazil is and always has been so bad compared to teams in Europe. Their defence was and still is mediocre, which makes scoring for someone like Pele easy.

Maradona played with a good Argentina team - not a great one but not a bad one either. Pele, on the other hand, played with a much better Brazilian team (relative to the competition) than Messi does for Argentina. Saying Garrincha was a better player than Messi makes you a ****ing idiot though so I shouldn't really be arguing with you.
Original post by Mr Smurf
I don't think they will win three major tournaments in a row but they will certainly be a dominant force for years to come. The oldest of this crop of players produced by Germany's revamped youth system is Ozil who is 25.

Yes, sure. I mean, they've already been among the top three teams in every tournament they've played since 2008, really. But Klose will be a loss, and Lahm is getting on too. I think tournament football is too hard to predict, really, to say with certainty that Germany can keep doing this tournament after tournament. But congratulations regardless for developing such a good side.
Original post by missfats
ok. :tongue:

Original post by Sophsha
I don't have a lot left!:frown:
I bet all my driving lessons money which I saved during extra shifts :s-smilie:
If I won, I'd get get double so 4grand :frown:
Sorry. :frown: It's tempting to bet but in the long term, it's -EV.

I've won more than £30k in this WC. £1k/£7k loss did no harm.
Weren't you the guy who bet £20k on Germany to beat Brazil? You would have been screwed if you lost that one! :tongue:
Original post by manchesterunited15
They'll certainly be favourites for the euros, but Spain have enough players coming through that they could be back up there for 2018.

Spain will require a complete transformation in their tactics but they do have great players coming through, as do France.

France seem to have good young players in every area, whereas Germany are lacking a striker. I don't follow the Budesliga at all, so there could be young guys I'm completely unaware of.
Original post by sr90
There were a few people suggesting the same thing after the last World Cup to be fair. Looking at the players who were involved there's only Klose & possibly Mertesacker/Lahm who won't be at the next tournament, barring unforseeable circumstances like injury or loss of form. Not so much an issue when you've got the likes of ter Stegen, Schmelzer, Reus, & the Bender's who weren't even in the squad.

I really hope the FA look at this and learn a few lessons. This has been a good 15 years in the making.

But ter Stegen coming through is only a moderate boost, as Neuer will be at his peak for nearly a decade now - by which time ter Stegen won't be at his best, necessarily. Reus etc are going to be hugely important, though.

I would obviously cite them as favourite for 2016, but I don't think Spain are quite done yet.
Original post by silent ninja
Zidane > than Pele and Maradonna in my opinion. My all time favourite is Ronaldo. His club achievements rival Messi and he was a beast on the international level. Messi is ridiculously good at dribblin but look at Ronaldo at his prime - he's as pacy but a much better finisher.

Zidane was amazing, but the 98 Final was one of the weirdest matches ever, Ronaldo's seizures till today remain unexplained. Maradona was a beast, for me, the best ever. I mentioned Garrincha because in Brazil many people consider him even better than Pele, and he was the man in 58 and 62, but he destroyed his career too early. Ronaldo is great, but Romário was better, imo. All great players, all better than Messi. Maradona was the best of all, I think.
Original post by Movember

Are you just going about TSR using this phrase as much as possible? I have tried to explain it in a nice way, but it's becoming tiresome now. You have no idea what you're talking about!
Original post by silent ninja
Zidane > than Pele and Maradonna in my opinion. My all time favourite is Ronaldo. His club achievements rival Messi and he was a beast on the international level. Messi is ridiculously good at dribblin but look at Ronaldo at his prime - he's as good, pacy but a much better finisher.

I loved Ronaldo but I don't think he's as good as Messi was. I also don't think Zidane is better than Pele and Maradona, although I can sort of see why some would have that opinion. Ronaldo wasn't a 'much' better finisher than Messi and their goalscoring records prove that. What makes Messi a superior player to Ronaldo (prime for prime) in my opinion is his ability to create as well as score.
England are the opposite of Germany: mentally weak bottlers. You can talk about players and tactics, but we're not exactly a third world nation in football. Everything is there. We're just bottlers and that's not an easy thing to fix. Spending tens of millions on managers and facilities won't fix this. In the last two world cups the USA have been better - a nation that considers "soccer" a second rate sport. They were really good this year too.
Original post by Movember
ok. :tongue:

Weren't you the guy who bet £20k on Germany to beat Brazil? You would have been screwed if you lost that one! :tongue:

Iv learnt the hard way :P
Original post by pane123
Are you just going about TSR using this phrase as much as possible? I have tried to explain it in a nice way, but it's becoming tiresome now. You have no idea what you're talking about!
For these guys, it's -EV. These guys are betting blindly on football matches without any clue who is going to win. :tongue:
Does anyone think the result would be different if di maria had played?

I think that it would've been 1-1 and then won on penalties.
Original post by Sophsha
I don't know, I was just really expecting Argentina to win /: I could have won 4grand!

It's painful when you have bet money that isn't profit. £2k would be a drop in the ocean for me personally at the moment. I'm definitely taking £1k out of my betfair account tomorrow and dividing it for charities, doesn't make a difference to me how much I have now, it's all accumulated profit.

Here's a screenie of my betfair account as it stands which I started at £520 with at the start of the WC for those who kept saying ******** and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest