The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Platini asking for Ozil's shirt. **** off mugs

Lol at all the Ozil haters now. Lol. Shut up a lot of the old German guard like Kahn and Ballack too, where's your WC medal lads? Oh yeah... silver...
Original post by jam278
Didn't replace Ozil. But definitely outshone him. :rofl:

All about that ball by Schurrle tbh, he should get more games for you lot.
Very glad we did not buy Higuain. He is just a fancier Olivier Giroud.
Original post by C.Almasy
Lol at all the Ozil haters now. Lol. Shut up a lot of the old German guard like Kahn and Ballack too, where's your WC medal lads? Oh yeah... silver...

I wonder what Neil Ashton has to say, I remember a few months back he said Özil was stealing a living.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
I wonder what Neil Ashton has to say, I remember a few months back he said Özil was stealing a living.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He probably expects his players to "put in a good shift" (i.e. run around the pitch like headless Scott Parkers but always come up short... but at least he put in a shift right?).
He probably expects his players to "put in a good shift" (i.e. run around the pitch like headless Scott Parkers but always come up short... but at least he put in a shift right?).

As long as he showed Grit, Passion and determination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi lol

Which is what is entirely wrong with English football.

Players like Parker are praised for running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes and looking 'busy' whereas someone like Ozil who more often than not is in the forefront of the background (it makes sense! He has a big role in setting up the play and drawing oppositions players away for his team mates to exploit) is lambasted for not scoring; which isn't his game at all or not grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and dragging his team over the line; once again, not his job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pete_91
All about that ball by Schurrle tbh, he should get more games for you lot.

Where's my man Zurich saying that Schurrle's not that great a player and makes bad runs. You see Podolski winning the world cup like Schurrle did?

Schurrle is essentially our theo walcott, better dribbling and end product but Walcott makes better runs and is a better finisher inside the box.
Not that most Arsenal fans haven't seen this coming, but Neville's point about the club here:

[video="youtube;pjPVZwhddG4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pjPVZwhddG4[/video]

is going to look very prescient in a few years time I bet.
Original post by jam278
Where's my man Zurich saying that Schurrle's not that great a player and makes bad runs. You see Podolski winning the world cup like Schurrle did?

Schurrle is essentially our theo walcott, better dribbling and end product but Walcott makes better runs and is a better finisher inside the box.

Good player.

Better at the WC than he was the PL, saw him live 3 times last season and he was awful each time, so there you go. One of my best mates is a Chelsea ST holder and he cant stand him either so that might have informed my opinion overly
Original post by jam278

What do you think about Schurrle at his stage of development now as opposed to where Robben was at the same age? Do you think he will end up better or is a better player in terms of pure potential?
Ozil wasn't spectacular at all. He was on the periphery of the game. Played some good passes, and in typical Ozil fashion, his decision making at the crucial times was excellent. 7/10 game and a 6.5/10 tournament for him.
Original post by Zürich
Good player.

Better at the WC than he was the PL, saw him live 3 times last season and he was awful each time, so there you go. One of my best mates is a Chelsea ST holder and he cant stand him either so that might have informed my opinion overly

Scored quite a few important goals, PSG game, Fulham hattrick etc, Man City at the bridge. Gave Alaba a runaround in the super cup.

He is a weird player, but rest assured if he starts games he will score 15 goals minimum. Don't see why we play Willian over him personally. Not really a goalscoring threat and he's not an assist machine either. Just an offensive version of Ramires that does a couple stepovers.
Original post by Terry McDermott
Ozil wasn't spectacular at all. He was on the periphery of the game. Played some good passes, and in typical Ozil fashion, his decision making at the crucial times was excellent. 7/10 game and a 6.5/10 tournament for him.

That is his job. He is not the type of player to charge through a midfield and score a screamer. He is not any worse than his teammates, he is just a different type of player in a team... Hence why Germany won... they are a team of different types of players that fit into a unit.
That is his job. He is not the type of player to charge through a midfield and score a screamer. He is not any worse than his teammates, he is just a different type of player in a team... Hence why Germany won... they are a team of different types of players that fit into a unit.

I would suggest that he did his role in some games, and definitely underperformed in others.

At the end of the day he just started every game and won the world cup, so good on him.

Don't think his performances can be seen too positively wrt next season with Arsenal fans though.
Original post by Terry McDermott
I would suggest that he did his role in some games, and definitely underperformed in others.

At the end of the day he just started every game and won the world cup, so good on him.

Don't think his performances can be seen too positively wrt next season with Arsenal fans though.

It is not all about Ozil. He is not an Henry, obviously. But we are building a team here, not a one man team. We are not the ones bigging him up too positively, we are responding to the bullying by the press of this guy. I think the real reason stems from the fact he is German, Muslim , and a North London (i.e. southern) Arsenal man. It is just that the media and opposition obsession with Ozil as an individual is insane really. Right now, I don't think he gives a ****. Ballack, Kahn, all those idiots who never won a WC with Germany can shut up now about him. They can go enjoy their silver medals and talking on tv.
Original post by jam278
Scored quite a few important goals, PSG game, Fulham hattrick etc, Man City at the bridge. Gave Alaba a runaround in the super cup.

He is a weird player, but rest assured if he starts games he will score 15 goals minimum. Don't see why we play Willian over him personally. Not really a goalscoring threat and he's not an assist machine either. Just an offensive version of Ramires that does a couple stepovers.

Defensive contribution I suspect
What do you think about Schurrle at his stage of development now as opposed to where Robben was at the same age? Do you think he will end up better or is a better player in terms of pure potential?

Very interesting question, never thought about that before.

I'd say that Robben was the better player and Schurrle won't get to his level. Hope I'm wrong but I see Robben as a better footballer. I'm probably doing a disservice to Schurrle as he's only 23 but I feel that there's something missing, I think it's his link up play with the other midfielders. He generally lays the ball off to a player and makes a run rather than linking up with quick interplay, like Robben did for us and Hazard does.

I'm a Robben fanboy but Robben would whizz past people with ease and while he was so predictable with his runs they were very hard to stop, he's also better at scoring solo goals and creating something out of nothing. Schurrle imo is the kinda guy who works hard, makes good runs, will make the most out of his chances and has good dribbling ability, something like a fast dribbling but not as intelligent version of Thomas Muller. Schurrle is also a space player, so if he doesn't have space to run at people he's going to lay the ball off backwards(making the attack lose momentum) and find some space as he doesn't have that ability to create a chance when he's being tightly marked. While players Hazard, Robben, Ribery, Messi, Aguero, Sturridge, Suarez etc. can create a chance out of relatively little.

Latest