The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C.Almasy
It is not all about Ozil. He is not an Henry, obviously. But we are building a team here, not a one man team. We are not the ones bigging him up too positively, we are responding to the bullying by the press of this guy. I think the real reason stems from the fact he is German, Muslim , and a North London (i.e. southern) Arsenal man. It is just that the media and opposition obsession with Ozil as an individual is insane really. Right now, I don't think he gives a ****. Ballack, Kahn, all those idiots who never won a WC with Germany can shut up now about him. They can go enjoy their silver medals and talking on tv.

Well, I'm very partial to Germans, I'm a muslim and a Londoner myself, and I've heavily criticised Ozil this year (and been subject to the whole 'you're just following a media bandwagon' bull**** as a result). Truth is that his performances in parts of the season for Arsenal were very lacking, his effort and body language was poor and just not acceptable at all really. Can't be bothered to have a debate on him but yeah, whilst I think Ashton etc obviously go overboard, Ozil has deserved a lot of the stick he's been given.
Original post by Terry McDermott
Well, I'm very partial to Germans, I'm a muslim and a Londoner myself, and I've heavily criticised Ozil this year (and been subject to the whole 'you're just following a media bandwagon' bull**** as a result). Truth is that his performances in parts of the season for Arsenal were very lacking, his effort and body language was poor and just not acceptable at all really. Can't be bothered to have a debate on him but yeah, whilst I think Ashton etc obviously go overboard, Ozil has deserved a lot of the stick he's been given.

He was terrible in most big games. But, that is because of the team, not him. As I say, he is not an individual type of player, his quality of play really depends on how the rest of the team is playing and how it is set up. Ozil is not the type of player that will drag you through a game, we don't expect that of him either. And yet critics tend to assume that he should be?
He is a very specific type of player, I doubt the vast majority of English football fans have the footballing maturity to understand the tactical aspects of where he fits in.
Original post by jam278
Very interesting question, never thought about that before.

I'd say that Robben was the better player and Schurrle won't get to his level. Hope I'm wrong but I see Robben as a better footballer. I'm probably doing a disservice to Schurrle as he's only 23 but I feel that there's something missing, I think it's his link up play with the other midfielders. He generally lays the ball off to a player and makes a run rather than linking up with quick interplay, like Robben did for us and Hazard does.

I'm a Robben fanboy but Robben would whizz past people with ease and while he was so predictable with his runs they were very hard to stop, he's also better at scoring solo goals and creating something out of nothing. Schurrle imo is the kinda guy who works hard, makes good runs, will make the most out of his chances and has good dribbling ability, something like a fast dribbling but not as intelligent version of Thomas Muller. Schurrle is also a space player, so if he doesn't have space to run at people he's going to lay the ball off backwards(making the attack lose momentum) and find some space as he doesn't have that ability to create a chance when he's being tightly marked. While players Hazard, Robben, Ribery, Messi, Aguero, Sturridge, Suarez etc. can create a chance out of relatively little.

Yeah this is pretty much right lol.

Schurrle will never reach the levels of Robben, who's up there with Ibra, Suarez, Iniesta etc as the best non Messi/Ronaldo players of this generation.
He was terrible in most big games. But, that is because of the team, not him. As I say, he is not an individual type of player, his quality of play really depends on how the rest of the team is playing and how it is set up. Ozil is not the type of player that will drag you through a game, we don't expect that of him either. And yet critics tend to assume that he should be?
He is a very specific type of player, I doubt the vast majority of English football fans have the footballing maturity to understand the tactical aspects of where he fits in.

I understand this. But I also think that it's a poor excuse. Think e.g. qua said that Wenger may be trying to get more out of Ozil, he doesn't want to be squeezing the juices of his talent to just feed fast wingers, which made him a very efficient cog in the Madrid machine but to make him a better player.

For 42M you can't be having a passenger that only decides to play well when the team is playing well. It was one of Arsenal's fans and City's biggest criticisms of Samir Nasri e.g.

So if you end up with no pace on the wing again next season are we just going to say that it's ok if Ozil is playing rubbish and causing you to concede goals while creating little, yet praise him the second the team are playing well and he's doing well with the team?

Btw Ozil at Madrid was my favourite attacking midfielder to watch, remember a game he had against bilbao where he had an absolute field day.

Not really just because of the team. He got directly gave the ball away in compromising positions twice for Liverpool's third and fourth goals, and likewise once against City too. It doesn't come all down to that team. The team didn't make him miss the penalty against Bayern either. Fact is, he himself was exceptionally poor in the biggest games last year, and a lot of that was down to just him. Can't really make excuses and say 'oh he was **** because of the team', he should adapt himself.

I do understand his game, but don't make excuses for him either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
I understand this. But I also think that it's a poor excuse. Think e.g. qua said that Wenger may be trying to get more out of Ozil, he doesn't want to be squeezing the juices of his talent to just feed fast wingers, which made him a very efficient cog in the Madrid machine but to make him a better player.

For 42M you can't be having a passenger that only decides to play well when the team is playing well. It was one of Arsenal's fans and City's biggest criticisms of Samir Nasri e.g.

So if you end up with no pace on the wing again next season are we just going to say that it's ok if Ozil is playing rubbish and causing you to concede goals while creating little, yet praise him the second the team are playing well and he's doing well with the team?

Btw Ozil at Madrid was my favourite attacking midfielder to watch, remember a game he had against bilbao where he had an absolute field day.

That was an inflated figure. He is only worth £25m, £30m max, and even other Arsenal fans here such as Zurich say that. We paid that figure because we needed to make a statement at the time. We needed to be taken seriously by other big players as we had many years of being at a dip. It is unfair on Ozil to be a victim of his transfer fee when no real footballing mind considers him to be at the level that justifies that fee.

And we have Ox, Sanchez and Walcott on the wings next season so your point there is redundant. Ozil at Madrid had Ronaldo, Di Maria, Benzema...
(edited 9 years ago)
That was an inflated figure. He is only worth £25m, £30m max, and even other Arsenal fans here such as Zurich say that. We paid that figure because we needed to make a statement at the time. We needed to be taken seriously by other big players as we had many years of being at a dip. It is unfair on Ozil to be a victim of his transfer fee when no real footballing mind considers him to be at the level that justifies that fee.

I disagree, Mata went for a similar fee. Hazard who was more unproven went for 32M. That was another statement signing, but someone like Isco went for 23M. Are you telling me that Ozil is worth just £2M more than Isco? The going rate these days are higher. Players like Fabregas and to an extent Sanchez are more exceptions to the rule than the actual going rate of top class AMs.

Was just last season where people on here were saying that he was the best AM in the world(although I think he's in top 4 with Iniesta, Mata, Ozil, Silva in that order) and using his assist stats since 2010, where he had the most assists in europe. His worst season at Madrid he racked up 20 assists. If that's not warranting a 42M price tag then I don't know what does for an AM.

And we have Ox, Sanchez and Walcott on the wings next season so your point there is redundant. Ozil at Madrid had Ronaldo, Di Maria, Benzema...

Have you heard of injuries? It's not even just the lack of pace, it's the lack of runners. Ox helped but he's not a runner he's more creative. Sanchez has shown he can be a good runner(although he's a creator too) and Walcott is a beast we all know.

You get Walcott and Sanchez injured at the same time, Ozil will have only AOC as runners and he'll end up like the Ozil post feb.
(edited 9 years ago)
Liverpool, Liverpooollllll. Wah wah , Steviee Gerrard, wahhh.

lmao strong everything
This guy almasy just went off on one
Only 3 World Cup Winners coming to Arsenal... :smile:
Reply 710
I kinda get why people hate us so much now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 711
Who's dupe is Almasy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Isco costed 23M

costed

costed

costed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aNzGBvumo&feature=youtu.be

the anti-liverpool version made by a fan :lol:
squad full of winners brahss

and soon to come

Spoiler

squaaaaa
Who had a better World Cup Fred or ozil?
Original post by baconbutty
Who had a better World Cup Fred or ozil?

My left testicle had a better wc than Fred infact giroud would of done more than Fred and that's telling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why Arsenal are signing Khedira? Where is he going to play?
Original post by pane123
Does anyone know why Arsenal are signing Khedira? Where is he going to play?

He'll play next to Ramsey if we sign him.
Original post by De Chirico
He'll play next to Ramsey if we sign him.

I am just worried that Wenger sees him as a defensive mid.

Latest