The Student Room Group

How will you open your results?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mansun
I think they probably have a cut off point to aid the less able and not scare people off, though when it comes to the overall grades you still need to get them to get accepted. I had a conditional offer from a university who only usually give offers to students after an interview. I never attended, and was a couple of grades down at AS, yet they gave a conditional offer of AAA (they usually asked for ABB, and there was no A* back then).

Im not less able bud, I wouldnt have gotten an offer if I was. Although the more I think about it, the more I think it may have been a rare case for this year. They may have expected loads of people to miss their offers, therefore gave more than usual which would include applicants that they probably wouldn't have given offers to in previous years ie me.
Reply 261
Original post by SamTheMan95
Im not less able bud, I wouldnt have gotten an offer if I was.

No offence meant. UCL, afterall, is arguably the best multi-faculty university after Oxbridge in the UK, and they will see ABB candidates as less able than the A*A*A candidates who they usually give the places to when A2 results come out.
Original post by Mansun
No offence meant. UCL, afterall, is arguably the best multi-faculty university after Oxbridge in the UK, and they will see ABB candidates as less able than the A*A*A candidates who they usually give the places to when A2 results come out.

Don't if I should be offended or pleased, but i'm definitely confused...

It doesn't matter bro, I turned it down.
Reply 263
Don't if I should be offended or pleased, but i'm definitely confused...

It doesn't matter bro, I turned it down.

I'm not sure people realise how oversubscribed UCL is, with around 46-50% of students coming from a private school background. Even the private college I attended drilled into you that you must aim for Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL or Warwick. They didn't even mention the mighty Nottingham, Bristol or Durham. People often think Durham is the one the middle and upper classes target, but UCL surpasses even Durham.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
I'm not sure people realise how oversubscribed UCL is, with around 46-50% of students coming from a private school background. Even the private college I attended briefly drilled into you that you must aim for Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial UCL or Warwick. They didn't even mention the mighty Nottingham and Bristol or Durham.

Tbf I did feel like I didnt belong. Guys around me talking about their families who go to Harvard, their Latin a-levels, parents who work for this multinational and this IB. Seemed cliquey even in the bloody offer holder meet.
Reply 265
Tbf I did feel like I didnt belong. Guys around me talking about their families who go to Harvard, their Latin a-levels, parents who work for this multinational and this IB. Seemed cliquey even in the bloody offer holder meet.

The difference is, UCL is a global university, and kids from private schools in the US, Russia, Far East etc will flock to study there. This is not really the case with Durham or Bristol, they are unheard of outside the UK.
I'll open my letter normally and if my results are close to what I want I'll be happy but if they're the complete opposite like last time then I'll probably just jump off the roof

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96
I'll open my letter normally and if my results are close to what I want I'll be happy but if they're the complete opposite like last time then I'll probably just jump off the roof

Posted from TSR Mobile

& I'm kidding btw I know people have become sensitive these days so yh just wanted to clear that but in all seriousness I think ill cope well if I do bad, specially after last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hoping for (praying for/begging for): AAB
Expecting: Somewhere far below that :frown:

How will I open them:
I'm not actually in the country for results, so I will open them by skyping with my boyfriend's mum who I've asked to get them for me; my school don't put them in envelopes, so she'll know them quite a while before I do!!
Reply 269
Original post by Mansun
The difference is, UCL is a global university, and kids from private schools in the US, Russia, Far East etc will flock to study there. This is not really the case with Durham or Bristol, they are unheard of outside the UK.

UCL is mostly unknown in the U.S. and in France. Oxbridge and LSE are very well known in both places.
I'm of to Kent University this September with my A*BB from last year!:colondollar:

Anyone going to Kent??? :h:

(Also I had like no reaction to my grades... :rolleyes: )
Reply 271
Original post by LOUISALYNCH
I'm of to Kent University this September with my A*BB from last year!:colondollar:

Anyone going to Kent??? :h:

(Also I had like no reaction to my grades... :rolleyes: )

Yeah hoping to do history, what did you apply for? :smile:
Reply 272
AS or A2 results? A2

What are you hoping for?: AAB+

What are you expecting?: AAC-

How will you open them? With enough force to tear up a phone book

How will you celebrate / react? Cry, either with joy or sadness
AS
Hoping for: AAAAAA (yes, i do 6 a levels)

Expecting: AAAABB

I will open them: calmly, like a letter xD

I will react: I would cry if i fail maths, other than that, i will be jumping crazily of happiness hahaha
Hoping for AAB OR A*AB I will open them at college straight away then rush home to hopefully be able to use adjustment
What I Need: BBC

What I'm Expecting: CCC

:frown:
Original post by KYARDO
Yeah hoping to do history, what did you apply for? :smile:

For english and american literature and film! :biggrin: I really wanted to do history but don't have the a level :frown: oh well.. I got this place through clearing as I orginally applied for fine art. :biggrin:
A2 level

Tempted to just look at UCAS to see if I get into my chosen university, because then really my results dont matter as long as i get in. Just a thought.
Reply 278

AS or A2 results? A2

What are you hoping for? A*A*A* (M,FM,Econ) + 2 in STEP

What are you expecting? A*A*A+3 in STEP

How will you open them? I will open them almost instantaneously, moving away from the crowd and observing

How will you celebrate / react? Happy and excited, last time at AS I reacted quite dickishly so I think I'll tone it down this year

Me last year: ''4A's!!!!''
everyone else: -.-

Original post by plusC

AS or A2 results? A2

What are you hoping for? A*A*A* (M,FM,Econ) + 2 in STEP

What are you expecting? A*A*A+3 in STEP

How will you open them? I will open them almost instantaneously, moving away from the crowd and observing

How will you celebrate / react? Happy and excited, last time at AS I reacted quite dickishly so I think I'll tone it down this year

Me last year: ''4A's!!!!''
everyone else: -.-

Which STEP did you do, and which Uni are you (hopefully) going to?

Quick Reply

Latest