The Student Room Group

I have 7 weeks to get a first in family and criminal law, any advice?

Hi everyone, I have my family and criminal law exams in 7 weeks, I have to get a first otherwise my overall grade will be low (I didn't do too well in my other modules)
Has anyone got any advice in regards to getting top marks in these two subjects, especially in family. How should I approach my revision

is 7 weeks doable?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Original post by 12345193
Hi everyone, I have my family and criminal law exams in 7 weeks, I have to get a first otherwise my overall grade will be low (I didn't do too well in my other modules)
Has anyone got any advice in regards to getting top marks in these two subjects, especially in family. How should I approach my revision

is 7 weeks doable?

Thanks

Yes.

Get working now.
Reply 3
Thankyou
So no one has any specific advice for these two modules in particular ?
Reply 4
Is this degree or LPC?
Reply 5
It's a degree, for family law I need to get around the 85% mark I don't even know if this is possible so any advice would be hugely appreciated
Original post by Clip
Is this degree or LPC?
Reply 6
It's a degree, for family law I need to get around the 85% mark I don't even know if this is possible so any advice would be hugely appreciated

It's obviously possible, but whether it's possible for you it would be impossible to say without knowing you personally. There is certainly no point in waiting for responses from an internet forum, or you'll never get started. Get a revision timetable in place for the whole 7 weeks, get motivated, get revising. And if you're struggling with the content, ask you tutor or some others on the course who you aren't best mates with so you'll actually get some work done.
Reply 7
Original post by vimto39
It's obviously possible, but whether it's possible for you it would be impossible to say without knowing you personally. There is certainly no point in waiting for responses from an internet forum, or you'll never get started. Get a revision timetable in place for the whole 7 weeks, get motivated, get revising. And if you're struggling with the content, ask you tutor or some others on the course who you aren't best mates with so you'll actually get some work done.

Thanks for your reply, I am not waiting around for responses from an Internet forum and started my revision as soon as my results came out. I merely posted the question to see if anyone had any advice on how to tailor my revision to get the highest possible grades in the amount of time as I assumed that someone on here will have done well in these modules and would be willing to help
Is the exam essay based questions?
Reply 9
Thanks for your reply, I am not waiting around for responses from an Internet forum and started my revision as soon as my results came out. I merely posted the question to see if anyone had any advice on how to tailor my revision to get the highest possible grades in the amount of time as I assumed that someone on here will have done well in these modules and would be willing to help

I appreciate that, and I wasn't trying to be malicious by any means. Without knowing your pitfalls - eg. whether it's knowledge, or timing, or essay technique thats preventing you achieving what you're capable of - then it would be very difficult for people to give you a helpful response, which is why I suggested speaking to someone at University.
Avoid paralysis by analysis. Spend as much time working as possible.

85% is not possible to be honest.

What uni?
In an exam it is pretty much impossible. In an assessed essay it is possible but it must be exceptional.
Reply 13
Original post by vimto39
I appreciate that, and I wasn't trying to be malicious by any means. Without knowing your pitfalls - eg. whether it's knowledge, or timing, or essay technique thats preventing you achieving what you're capable of - then it would be very difficult for people to give you a helpful response, which is why I suggested speaking to someone at University.

I wasn't suggesting you were, I appreciate your comments and will definitely take them on board! Thank you :smile:
Is this a resit? It's a very odd time of the year for university for exams. If it is a resit, is it not capped at 40%?
I wasn't suggesting you were, I appreciate your comments and will definitely take them on board! Thank you :smile:

I know I know, I just didn't want you to think I was having a go or being rude. :smile: Make sure you leave time to do at least one full past paper to time. Here are some other tips.
Thankyou
So no one has any specific advice for these two modules in particular ?

There are no specific techniques. It's all basically the same. Make sure you understand the cases and read as many articles as you can feasibly learn and remember.

As for 85%, it does probably depend on your uni. I'd expect it to be difficult. One step would be to talk to some fellow law students and try to find out if that kind of score is ever actually awarded, and how frequently.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Is this a resit? It's a very odd time of the year for university for exams. If it is a resit, is it not capped at 40%?

Perhaps the OP had deferred the exam. In this case it will be a first sit so the paper will be marked at 100%! :smile:

Many students actually do it. Others may be ill on the day of the exam, others didn't revise as much as they wanted to revise for the original exam in May/June...there are many reasons...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GrandPessimist
Perhaps the OP had deferred the exam. In this case it will be a first sit so the paper will be marked at 100%! :smile:

Many students actually do it. Others may be ill on the day of the exam, others didn't revise as much as they wanted to revise for the original exam in May/June...there are many reasons...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, good. I only get to hear from those on TSR who are resitting, it seems.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Oh, good. I only get to hear from those on TSR who are resitting, it seems.

I am not sure I get what you mean. :frown:

One of my flatmates had glandular fever and could not sit two of his exams so he had a serious reason.

Generally, I would like to think that the vast majority of universities are strict with their deferral policies. I highly doubt that anyone who told their Extenuating Circumstances Panel that they couldn't sit the exam because they were insufficiently prepared for it was actually granted a deferral! You need to have an important reason why you are not fit to sit the exam. And that would be a medical reason I presume or something equally serious, like a death in the family, or other illness to a member of the family, or diagnosed mental health conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply