The Student Room Group

World Cup 2014 Final: Germany vs Argentina

Scroll to see replies

As much as I love him, he had to score that chance that fell to him. I couldn't believe he managed to not even hit the target.

Messi is still the best but he will never get a chance as good as that to prove his critics wrong.

Some of his team mates ought to be ashamed too but this will mostly go unnoticed.
Original post by Wilfred Little
As much as I love him, he had to score that chance that fell to him. I couldn't believe he managed to not even hit the target.

Messi is still the best but he will never get a chance as good as that to prove his critics wrong.

Some of his team mates ought to be ashamed too but this will mostly go unnoticed.

I'm seeing people attack him, it's really sad but I feel like a lot of people have been waiting for an opportunity like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way football is televised has allowed them to escape the criticism they deserve. There were at least 3 occasions in last night's game when Messi had 4 Germany players on him and still managed to get the ball past them, either by dribbling or passing.

If TV offered the same view as you get in a stadium, people would realise how much space Messi created for his diddy teammates, yet they managed to conjure up absolutely nothing. He has also been lacking a top quality striker to whom he can offload the ball, but that should change next year once Suarez can play.
Original post by Kruz
I'm seeing people attack him, it's really sad but I feel like a lot of people have been waiting for an opportunity like this.

General tone seems to be 'better than Maradona my arse' plus the usual sub section of Man. United fans squealing with delight.

This is a tough one for him but he has one more World Cup at least to put it right. He will be the same age Robben was in this World Cup in Russia.
Original post by pane123
The way football is televised has allowed them to escape the criticism they deserve. There were at least 3 occasions in last night's game when Messi had 4 Germany players on him and still managed to get the ball past them, either by dribbling or passing.

If TV offered the same view as you get in a stadium, people would realise how much space Messi created for his diddy teammates, yet they managed to conjure up absolutely nothing. He has also been lacking a top quality striker to whom he can offload the ball, but that should change next year once Suarez can play.

That one for Rodriguez in the semis was a good example, on a plate for him and he fluffed it. If he'd scored we'd all wax lyrical about the assist.

Does anyone know why Messi was sick on the pitch last night?
That one for Rodriguez in the semis was a good example, on a plate for him and he fluffed it. If he'd scored we'd all wax lyrical about the assist.

Does anyone know why Messi was sick on the pitch last night?

No, it is happening a lot and it's bizarre.

“I don’t know what it is. But I had a thousand exams,” Messi told the Argentinian broadcaster TyC Sports earlier this year. “I start to feel nauseous to the point where I almost vomit, and then it goes away.”

Sabella says it's because of nerves, but I'm not sure I'd count him as an authority on the matter.
Original post by pane123
No, it is happening a lot and it's bizarre.

“I don’t know what it is. But I had a thousand exams,” Messi told the Argentinian broadcaster TyC Sports earlier this year. “I start to feel nauseous to the point where I almost vomit, and then it goes away.”

Sabella says it's because of nerves, but I'm not sure I'd count him as an authority on the matter.

Interesting. Messi's friends from Rosario and coaches, players etc have all confirmed he is a shy person so the anxiety thing makes sense I suppose.

I'd like to see him rested for a few months now, He's played a mammoth amount of games for Barca & Argentina since he was 17.
I'd like to see him rested for a few months now, He's played a mammoth amount of games for Barca & Argentina since he was 17.

Yup, could have done without the World Cup this year.
Original post by muffingg
Were we watching the same match? I doubt it. It's pointless. Clearly you weren't watching the same match. Must be another one of those stupid Messi fanboys. God can't help you guys. Similarly Atletico beat Barcelona undeservedly and and and...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can say you are biased towards Germany. Argentina kept Germany at bay for so long and created the 2 best chances. But Germany had more of the ball so they dominated?:rolleyes:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Can say you are biased towards Germany. Argentina kept Germany at bay for so long and created the 2 best chances. But Germany had more of the ball so they dominated?:rolleyes:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Argentina did not create them as much as Germany gifted them those two.

2. A team that misses twice when alone in front of the keeper and in 120 minutes of game play does not even hit the target once, did not deserve to win, nor were they the better team.
Original post by ArsenalWenger

Posted from TSR Mobile

No! Have you lost it? Germany had been creating more chances, hit the target more often, hit the post once, looked so much more dangerous when attacking, AND had more possession. All of that leads to them dominating the match. Argentina's chances were all during the counter attack, which is fine, but they weren't in control of the match at all.
Well, Euro 2016 is certainly going to be interesting.

Italy-Germany final a la 2012?
France. They were without Ribery and still almost made it to the final (I assume they would have beaten Brazil, too), doubtful he will be there in 4 years so that Euro in his home country as well is his last big tournament. They have some good young players coming through.

Belgium also. Italy, unless something improves no way.
I'm just glad most people were wrong about how the final would pan out. 70% of TSR voted a Germany win in 90 minutes and most pundits didn't give Argentina a chance. All because Germany beat Brazil 7-1, but Brazil literally defended like school kids. Germany aren't that much better than the other best teams at this tournament.
also lol Italy for euros final, Spain have more chance of making the final than Italy. Look at the young Spanish talent that didn't get a look-in at this WC. People say "tiki-taka is dead" but it isn't because it works well. Barca against Bayern in 2013, Bayern against Real this year and Spain against Holland/Chile - all examples of very poor attempts to use that effective pass and move system.

What will Italy have in 2 years time that's better than Spain?
Original post by maskofsanity
Well, Euro 2016 is certainly going to be interesting.

Italy-Germany final a la 2012?

No, because it was Italy and Spain in 2012.
No, because it was Italy and Spain in 2012.

I know.

I meant that Spain won WC 2010 and Italy got knocked out their group, but then they played each other in the Euro 2012 finals.

Germany have now won WC 2014 and Italy have again been knocked out their group, hence a Germany-Italy Euro 2016 final.
Original post by maskofsanity
I know.

I meant that Spain won WC 2010 and Italy got knocked out their group, but then they played each other in the Euro 2012 finals.

Germany have now won WC 2014 and Italy have again been knocked out their group, hence a Germany-Italy Euro 2016 final.

Fair enough, my apologies.
Original post by muffingg
No! Have you lost it? Germany had been creating more chances, hit the target more often, hit the post once, looked so much more dangerous when attacking, AND had more possession. All of that leads to them dominating the match. Argentina's chances were all during the counter attack, which is fine, but they weren't in control of the match at all.

Most of Germanys chances were half chances that were denied by the Argentine defence. Argentina's chances were basically ones that any PL team should be scoring. Argentina let Germany have the majority of the ball so they can counter and get chances to score, that was their game plan, if you watch a lot of football you should know that. Otherwise they would have suffered the same fate as Brazil if they tried to attack and dominate the game.
Original post by samir12
Most of Germanys chances were half chances that were denied by the Argentine defence. Argentina's chances were basically ones that any PL team should be scoring. Argentina let Germany have the majority of the ball so they can counter and get chances to score, that was their game plan, if you watch a lot of football you should know that. Otherwise they would have suffered the same fate as Brazil if they tried to attack and dominate the game.

I just read Argentina aren't even good enough to be a PL side.

Yea, doesn't sound like a team worthy of winning the cup.

Quick Reply

Latest