The Student Room Group

Clearing for Med School can it be done?

Trying to help a friend who really wants to be a doctor he had an offer from one school but is convinced he has not got grades and is trying to plan for clearing. Can any one offer any help advice?

I found the links below helpful

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/making-the-most-of-your-gap-year/

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/story-1-reapplying/

I found this story encouraging even if the idea of resitting is total krap

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/the-survivors-guide-to-clearing

This link looked as tho it had lots of really good advice

Any help welcomed

best P

Scroll to see replies

You can't get into medicine through clearing. Their only option would be to resit if the med school doesn't let them in.
(edited 9 years ago)
:rofl:
Medicine admissions are a long multi-step process. They don't do clearing.
I know Plymouth were willing to accept people for interviews if you called early on results day but you had to meet their cut offs.:smile:

Overall pretty unlikely but hopefully he gets the grades because if he doesn't, it'll be really hard to get in the following year.
Reply 5
If he doesn't get the grades for his offer, then he's screwed anyway - UNLESS his offer was A*AA and he got AAA, in which case he can reapply somewhere that accepts AAA next year. If he got less than AAA he will have to look at resit policies, but without extenuating circumstances it will be very hard indeed. Clearing doesn't exist for his sitation - a few people get in from a waiting list, but that is a different situation entirely - they will have made their grades.
Reply 6
Original post by OnionRing
I know Plymouth were willing to accept people for interviews if you called early on results day but you had to meet their cut offs.:smile:

Overall pretty unlikely but hopefully he gets the grades because if he doesn't, it'll be really hard to get in the following year.

Thanks onion ring more encouraging than some of the other discouraging comments in this thread ..

I found the lack of empathy and negative comments from some others in thread disheartening and wonder if these would be doctors have learned anything about the force positive thinking can have in terms of recovery from illness...and emotional well being. I hope they learn it before they become doctors.
Kings were in clearing for medicine last year. They wont say on UCAS, you have to call up the individual schools.
Reply 8
Original post by anonymousp
Thanks onion ring more encouraging than some of the other discouraging comments in this thread ..

I found the lack of empathy and negative comments from some others in thread disheartening and wonder if these would be doctors have learned anything about the force positive thinking can have in terms of recovery from illness...and emotional well being. I hope they learn it before they become doctors.

What a ridiculous comment. The comments you got were realistic and truthful, and somewhat imformed by the irritation of someone asking a question that has a) been answered on here many times before b) is available in the medicine wiki c) should be well known to your friend if they made a well-informed application and d) someone who knows nothing about the process asking for advice then getting annoyed when it's not what they wanted to hear. Positive thinking may well help with illness, but it doesn't help at all with applications.
Reply 9
Original post by alevelzzz
Kings were in clearing for medicine last year. They wont say on UCAS, you have to call up the individual schools.

The OP has an offer but thinks they have missed their offer grades - are you suggesting Kings took in people from clearing with less than AAA? Or that too many offer holders missed their grades at Kings so they accepted applicants from their waiting list who made their grades? Because there is a big difference.
Original post by HCubed
The OP has an offer but thinks they have missed their offer grades - are you suggesting Kings took in people from clearing with less than AAA? Or that too many offer holders missed their grades at Kings so they accepted applicants from their waiting list who made their grades? Because there is a big difference.

Oh no, thats a completely different situation.
I've heard of people getting accepted with AAB but only when they had an offer. You wouldn't get into med clearing with AAB - too early, should have read the thread lol
Kings were accepting people to clearing with AAA, but obviously it was still competitive and they still had to have interviews etc.
Reply 11

Another thing you need to understand before going off on people that have successfully navigated this process and are trying to help people without giving them false hope - is that applications for medicine (and vet sci, dentistry, Oxbridge etc) do not follow the normal procedure - so a standard link about clearing is useless.

The fact is that if your friend misses his grades this year, his only chance to get in is if he meets the criteria for resits and applies again next year.

If anyone has an example of someone getting a place for medicine through clearing without the minimum grades or extenuating circumstances, please do tell.
Reply 12
Original post by nexttime
Oh my mistake. All your friend needs to do is phone and they will give him an offer in anything he wants. At any university. It doesn't matter what grades he comes out with. In fact, if he asks nicely they might just let him skip med school and be a neurosurgeon straight away. Or maybe even if he doesn't ask nicely - I wouldn't want to be discouraging!

Given how supportive Student Room has been to you personally, given that it's clearly helped you get placements etc, don't you think this tone is a bit inappropriate?

Since you seem to know quite a lot about this, let me ask you two questions:
- if you don't make the grades, in what circumstances might you be accepted, and what's the best source of information for this?
- how do you find out when it is appropriate to do resits, and what the criteria are?

Expecting a constructive response.
Reply 13
Given how supportive Student Room has been to you personally, given that it's clearly helped you get placements etc, don't you think this tone is a bit inappropriate?

- if you don't make the grades, in what circumstances might you be accepted, and what's the best source of information for this?
- how do you find out when it is appropriate to do resits, and what the criteria are?

If you don't make the grades, there's 2 ways to approach it:

- If you have extenuating circumstances, you may be permitted by some medical schools to resit. More information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies However, these have to (obviously) be genuine extenuating circumstances and not just "I missed the grades".

- If there are no extenuating circumstances, the only way to enter medicine is via the graduate route. For this, they'd have to do another degree first, achieve a good mark (2:1) and then enter that way. More information can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide If they're considering this route (and I would only recommend it in combination with this route, not separately) some medical schools offer a transfer between first year biomed and first year medicine. This is an insanely competitive route, requiring you to meet all the normal criteria for medicine (UKCAT score, good personal statement, etc.) in combination with very high module marks and very high ranking. The reason I only recommend this be done in combination with the idea of graduate entry medicine is because the odds are you will not make the cut for a transfer and instead have to complete the degree and apply as a graduate. More information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_to_do_if_you_don%27t_get_into_medical_school#Transferring

These two are the only viable options. Clearing is not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Most people have already answered, but I'd just say that disheartening comments can usually be said in a nicer tone than what has been said here, but it has nothing to do with empathy that medics are supposed to show their patients, lol. I think TSR medics just get a bit tired of the same questions posted over and over again so everyone gets a little desensitised. But at the end of the day all your friend can do is ring the uni on the day and see what they say (if he/she hasn't got their required grades)
Reply 15

Actually nexttime is a very helpful poster - I don't know where this is coming from.

Given the pompous rant you went on in response to people's honest and accurate advice, I think it was entirely appropriate yes.

I'm sorry if you felt initial answers were blunt but when you wrote it was 'for a friend' that was an obvious trigger for people to drop the 'sorry for your loss' stuff and cut straight to the chase. That you didn't like the answer is not our problem.

Beska has taken the time to give you a very comprehensive answer. I'd thank him if I were you.

EDIT: I'd add that going abroad is an option as they have much lower entry requirements. Eastern Europe is popular. There are lots of threads on the topic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Not sure if you got the thanks I sent yesterday but your replies and links were really helpful...I think I must just have sent it to you personally reall appreciate your help...

Original post by Beska
If you don't make the grades, there's 2 ways to approach it:

- If you have extenuating circumstances, you may be permitted by some medical schools to resit. More information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies However, these have to (obviously) be genuine extenuating circumstances and not just "I missed the grades".

- If there are no extenuating circumstances, the only way to enter medicine is via the graduate route. For this, they'd have to do another degree first, achieve a good mark (2:1) and then enter that way. More information can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide If they're considering this route (and I would only recommend it in combination with this route, not separately) some medical schools offer a transfer between first year biomed and first year medicine. This is an insanely competitive route, requiring you to meet all the normal criteria for medicine (UKCAT score, good personal statement, etc.) in combination with very high module marks and very high ranking. The reason I only recommend this be done in combination with the idea of graduate entry medicine is because the odds are you will not make the cut for a transfer and instead have to complete the degree and apply as a graduate. More information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_to_do_if_you_don%27t_get_into_medical_school#Transferring

These two are the only viable options. Clearing is not.
Reply 18
Not sure if you got the thanks I sent yesterday but your replies and links were really helpful...I think I must just have sent it to you personally reall appreciate your help...

You do realise this sounds like a blatant (and childish) lie to try to save face after nexttime's reply? Beska doesn't appear to have a visitor wall or PMs active so I'm not sure how you managed to send him any thanks, or why you would be under any doubt about whether you had managed to if you had actually tried...
Reply 19
I am grateful for the answers from some people in this thread who have really helped and to the person who immediately contacted me off list within minutes (this says something) in itself and posts from Beska and others were great.

Can I refer you to the work of a Norwegian doctor called to Tom Andersen to tom andersen John shotter - Google Search to understand a little more where I am coming from...

I am not sure I should be subject to the level aggression and sarcasm, criticism for asking a question that has been asked loads of times, and lack of posting a thank you right away, accusations of dishonesty...cos I have not managed the web site interface very well...

Where I am coming from is from the edge of a group of young people who tell me TSR is too full of boasting and intimidating people so they are afraid to ask...things they need to know

I said, no cannot be so, TSR it is or should be about help and support to others: using listening, collaboration, flexibility as a way of being in the world as the best medics and doctors (like Tom Andersen) aspire to do

I have the info I need to help my friend for which thanks and am posting this in my last effort to enhance a better culture of collaboration and support.

Best P

Quick Reply

Latest