The Student Room Group

How to improve my writing skills and vocabulary?

So far I have been getting C's in my English exams. I have recently done one which I had a D(one mark of a C) in my exam. How would I be able to write in a sophisticated manner and get an A/B. I'm sick and tired of getting C's. Would reading books help me improve my vocabulary and writing skills?

Also what books would your recommend?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, reading books is pretty much the best thing you can do to improve your writing in general. It might not be the best way to improve your grade, but it certainly won't do any harm.
Original post by _aishahxo_
So far I have been getting C's in my English exams. I have recently done one which I had a D in my exam. How would I be able to write in a sophisticated manner and get an A/B. I'm sick and tired of getting C's. Would reading books help me improve my vocabulary and writing skills?

You need to read! Read like never before! You have the whole summer holiday! Read, read, read! It helps so much.

Any word you don't know just search online or get a dictionary! Don't say I'll look it up later! Try to use those new words in different contexts so you remember them. Therefore, you will be able to implement them elsewhere.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you!:smile:
Reply 4
Would you recommend any books?
What about using commas? Do you always have to use a comma with conjunction? I've been told I have to at all times. I find it quite stupid as I don't feel like using conjunction always,since it can make your essays sound quite dry when you can be using better vocabulary right?
Would you recommend any books?

Read anything! It doesn't matter, every book counts! Try to read a mixture of genres though. :biggrin:

Just examples-
Noughts & Crosses
Percy Jackson Series

There are loads!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Highfiveyou
What about using commas? Do you always have to use a comma with conjunction? I've been told I have to at all times. I find it quite stupid as I don't feel like using conjunction always,since it can make your essays sound quite dry when you can be using better vocabulary right?

This is why reading is important - when you're well read, you don't have to think about rules (which always have exceptions in English anyway).

Most conjunctions should have commas before, but not all. <- has a comma
There are always sub-rules and exceptions. <- doesn't
I don't understand what you mean?

Although, I had spent many years at school I still had a driven passion to improve my knowledge, and understanding. Being independent, progressing my knowledge and ideas further had a great advantage on my ability to adapt new skills and information.

Here's something I quickly types up, have I used commas correctly? If not then feel free to correct me.
I don't understand what you mean?

Although, I had spent many years at school I still had a driven passion to improve my knowledge, and understanding. Being independent, progressing my knowledge and ideas further had a great advantage on my ability to adapt new skills and information.

Here's something I quickly types up, have I used commas correctly? If not then feel free to correct me.

He/She means that reading is very important. It helps you formulate your ideas etc. when you are writing. You learn as you read, almost sub-consciously learning from the words and patterns. :smile:

For example- In the paragraph you above the comma after 'Although' was used incorrectly. It goes after the clause. So it should go after school. Would you like me to edit it to show you?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
As consequence of being successful, the business needed a new business idea that would increase their sales.

How about this? Is this a correct way of using a comma?
To get above a C, it's not just about how you write, it's what you write too.
1. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as you can justify yourself. E.g. (Point and evidence) The colour 'red' shows that this character is...(Justify) because red is symbolic of...
2. PEE paragraphs (point, evidence, explain). This is quite vague...so try PEATA (Point, evidence, analyse, textual context, audience) make your point, give a quote, explain why your quote supports your point, link the point to what was going on during the time it was written/said, what is its effect on the reader?
3. Use different types of punctuation including ,?!-():;
4. To hit the top bands (and therefore get As and above) you need to write in a 'sophisticated' way. I've been taught to interpret this as writing in a formal tone, with good spelling, punctuation and grammar, and making creative points that no one else thinks of. Making creative points is difficult, so to give you a place to start, try to think about how things are 'symbolic' of other things, or just talk about how things link to God and religion (where appropriate). A great tip I've learned is that you should offer an alternative explanation e.g. The colour red is symbolic of danger, however it also suggests passion.
5. Find the youtube channel that's called 'MrBruff'. He is an english teacher, and has helped to improve my grade. Genuinely, I was working at a borderline C/B, but I improved my coursework with this information and I'm expecting an A/A* overall :smile:

Here are some useful phrases when you are trying to explain things:
-this suggests...
-this demonstrates...
-this exemplifies...
-it indicates...
-this implies that...
-it shows us that...
-this hints at...
If you want a piece of writing to look at, I'll try to attach one to this post. You don't have to write as well as this to get an A* (especially in the exams) but it might give you some ideas about interesting words and punctuation.
To be honest right I know I'm not that confident using commas anymore, as people are giving me different opinions on how to use them. But I must say Mr Bruffs YouTube channel is really good if you are doing english GCSE then follow his tips, most importantly learn the DAFOREST technique it helps ALOT when comparing text in Q4 (that's if you are doing AQA Higher tier) I have recently retook english GCSE and I am currently waiting for my final english GCSE grades. I was originally a D grade student and with mr Bruffs videos I Managed to hit As and Bs in my mocks and now I'm just awaiting for my exam results! He has videos on all 6 questions that will come up in the exam, and how to answer them effectively. I'm experienced so trust meh on this one!

I don't understand what you mean. This isn't a question so it doesn't need a question mark.

Although I had spent many years at school, I still had a driven passion to improve my knowledge and understanding. Being independent, and progressing my knowledge and ideas further, had a great advantage on my ability to adapt new skills and information.

As consequence of being successful, the business needed a new business idea that would increase their sales.

How about this? Is this a correct way of using a comma?

Yep, that's fine.
You know that comma you put before "had" is that not comma splicing, as my previous teacher had told me that you cannot use a comma without conjunction.
So far I have been getting C's in my English exams. I have recently done one which I had a D(one mark of a C) in my exam. How would I be able to write in a sophisticated manner and get an A/B. I'm sick and tired of getting C's. Would reading books help me improve my vocabulary and writing skills?

Also what books would your recommend?

I would recommend two Books by Bloomsbury,
1. 'Improve your word power'; this one helps you expand on your vocab.
2. 'Grammer Guide' written by Gordon Jarvie
Original post by benplumley
I don't understand what you mean. This isn't a question so it doesn't need a question mark.

Although I had spent many years at school, I still had a driven passion to improve my knowledge and understanding. Being independent, and progressing my knowledge and ideas further, had a great advantage on my ability to adapt new skills and information.

Yep, that's fine.

How about this

Despite, people not seeing me as competition, I still saw myself as a fierce, successful man.
How about this

Despite, people not seeing me as competition, <- this is the main clause so a comma goes after it

I still saw myself as a fierce, successful man. <- fierce, successful is a list so it has a comma
Despite doesn't need a comma after it.
Reply 18
Thank you very much guys! I appreciate this. However, I would like to know am I able to sort out my sentence construction? Right now I can't get a higher grade in my coursework, because of my sentence construction..
Thank you very much guys! I appreciate this. However, I would like to know am I able to sort out my sentence construction? Right now I can't get a higher grade in my coursework, because of my sentence construction..

What's the coursework? What qualification and subject, and what's your current draft like?
You know that comma you put before "had" is that not comma splicing, as my previous teacher had told me that you cannot use a comma without conjunction.

Sorry, I didn't see this. You should use the quote button, then I'd get a notification :tongue:
The comma before 'had' was the second of a pair of parenthetic commas. They work in a similar way to brackets (hence the name, because brackets are also called parentheses). See how the sentence also works if you replace parenthetic commas with brackets:

Although I had spent many years at school, I still had a driven passion to improve my knowledge and understanding. Being independent (and progressing my knowledge and ideas further) had a great advantage on my ability to adapt new skills and information.

Once you've done that, you can see why you need the second comma. Without it, the brackets would stay open. Everything inside the brackets is a sub-clause: the sentence would make sense without it, but it would not make sense on its own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending