The Student Room Group

Confused about GCSE grades and UCAS?

So how does entering GCSE grades work? For example do I have to enter the GCSE Maths exam i took in year 10 as well as my actual GCSE Maths grade i got at the end of year 11. They were taken on different exam boards but i didn't get a very good grade in year 10, does it still have to be declared? Or is it subject specific?

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Jatyization
So how does entering GCSE grades work? For example do I have to enter the GCSE Maths exam i took in year 10 as well as my actual GCSE Maths grade i got at the end of year 11. They were taken on different exam boards but i didn't get a very good grade in year 10, does it still have to be declared? Or is it subject specific?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 explains all of this.

You have to include ALL qualifications - that includes your attempt in Yr 10
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 explains all of this.

You have to include ALL qualifications - that includes your attempt in Yr 10

Really is this true? I had no idea, this will look really bad on my UCAS now.
Really is this true? I had no idea, this will look really bad on my UCAS now.

no it wont.

Admissions staff couldn't give a **** if you got a duff grade in maths GCSE taken a year early.

(they do give a **** about people who try to hide information and lie on their applications)

Did you get a certificate in year 10 and get an GCSE grade, or did you just do a maths exam in year 10 and got a results for the exam, but not the full GCSE?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
no it wont.

Admissions staff couldn't give a **** if you got a duff grade in maths GCSE taken a year early.

(they do give a **** about people who try to hide information and lie on their applications)

I am confused now because I took my GCSE's as a private candidate and also through the school at the end of year 11. So it will look like i did the same exam twice in the summer of year 11, just on different boards.
Yes put all your grades on to be safe. As long as all your other grades are strong they will put anomalies like this down to bad luck/bad exam and not care. Plus AS grades are a lot more important on UCAS so work hard to get good grades at this level and you'll be fine.
I am confused now because I took my GCSE's as a private candidate and also through the school at the end of year 11. So it will look like i did the same exam twice in the summer of year 11, just on different boards.

different boards at different centres (if you took your GCSE as a private candidate you need to put the exam centre in as a place of study "Part Time" then attach the GCSEs to that centre).

Why would it be confusing to put this in your form if this is what you did?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
different boards at different centres (if you took your GCSE as a private candidate you need to put the exam centre in as a place of study "Part Time" then attach the GCSEs to that centre).

Why would it be confusing to put this in your form if this is what you did?

But i did my GCSE's in the summer of year 11 as a private candidate AND normal school candidate simultaneously. I got high grades as a private candidate because i worked my ass of and revised a lot at home but the ones i did at school i did quiet baldy on like B grades because i did no revision and sat them for the sake of them being a back up option if my exams as a private candidate exams with AQA did not go to well. Will this look weird to universities?
But i did my GCSE's in the summer of year 11 as a private candidate AND normal school candidate simultaneously. I got high grades as a private candidate because i worked my ass of and revised a lot at home but the ones i did at school i did quiet baldy on like B grades because i did no revision and sat them for the sake of them being a back up option if my exams as a private candidate exams with AQA did not go to well. Will this look weird to universities?

It might look a bit odd but if that's what you did then that is what you need to include in your application. Universities have applications from people with all sorts of odd sets of qualifications for all sorts of reasons. You might want to speak to your referee about *why* you took your GCSEs privately as well as through school - they might be willing to explain the reasons for this in your reference (it should not be mentioned in your PS).

Getting better grades as a private candidate wouldn't be something that would be held against you - it is a positive thing from a university's point of view.
Original post by PQ
It might look a bit odd but if that's what you did then that is what you need to include in your application. Universities have applications from people with all sorts of odd sets of qualifications for all sorts of reasons. You might want to speak to your referee about *why* you took your GCSEs privately as well as through school - they might be willing to explain the reasons for this in your reference (it should not be mentioned in your PS).

Getting better grades as a private candidate wouldn't be something that would be held against you - it is a positive thing from a university's point of view.

Thank you so much for that, i did actually speak to UCAS just now and they said i just enter the highest grade i achieved for that particular qualification at the end of year 11. Because they are all the same qualifications. So i will probably do that to make my freakish application look more normal :smile:.
Thank you so much for that, i did actually speak to UCAS just now and they said i just enter the highest grade i achieved for that particular qualification at the end of year 11. Because they are all the same qualifications. So i will probably do that to make my freakish application look more normal :smile:.

If they're with different exam boards then they are not the same qualification.

I'm afraid UCAS give out very different advice on this issue depending on who you speak to (and this time of year their summer temps have just started on the phones and give out some terrible advice!).

The essentials for everybody are that you MUST declare ALL qualifications you hold. This means any 'public' examination for which you have received, or will receive, a formal certificate. In your case that means entering 2 sets of GCSEs from 2 centres in the same year. You obviously didn't choose to sit all your GCSEs twice for a laugh so putting in the reality of the situation and asking your referee to explain it is your best option.

You *must* list that you attended your school for yr 11.
If you took your GCSEs privately then you'll also need to list that you attended part time at the centre you took those exams.

If you list all your GCSE results from the private centre as well as your attendance at school at the same time then universities will *know* that you're withholding information from them.

Admissions staff dislike applicants who try to withhold information. The also like applicants who do well in private study. There is no need to risk being flagged as a fraudulent application in your case.
Just chipping in to add my weight behind PQ. You need to do exactly what she has told you. Clearly you cannot have sat the same exams twice unless you are able to split yourself in two like an amoeba, so you need to put in the two sets of exams. If, of course, you were able to split yourself in two, I'm sure we would all love to know how you did it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Just chipping in to add my weight behind PQ. You need to do exactly what she has told you. Clearly you cannot have sat the same exams twice unless you are able to split yourself in two like an amoeba, so you need to put in the two sets of exams. If, of course, you were able to split yourself in two, I'm sure we would all love to know how you did it!

Wow! What are you talking about???? I did the same exam on a different exam board! And more importantly what is an amoeba?
Wow! What are you talking about???? I did the same exam on a different exam board! And more importantly what is an amoeba?
Well, I was trying to be funny, but obviously didn't manage it. You cannot have taken the same exam both privately and through school at the same time, because they would be the same paper and you can't physically do the same paper twice at the same time. You have obviously done the same subject twice, but it is obvious that they must have been different boards so that they were on different days. The person at Ucas should have been smart enough to work out that you weren't a time lord and that you must therefore have to put them down twice.

Amoeba:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoeba

Most well-known thing about amoebae - they reproduce by spitting into two identical halves.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, I was trying to be funny, but obviously didn't manage it. You cannot have taken the same exam both privately and through school at the same time, because they would be the same paper and you can't physically do the same paper twice at the same time. You have obviously done the same subject twice, but it is obvious that they must have been different boards so that they were on different days. The person at Ucas should have been smart enough to work out that you weren't a time lord and that you must therefore have to put them down twice.

Amoeba:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoeba

Most well-known thing about amoebae - they reproduce by spitting into two identical halves.

Okay thanks for your help. Dont worry i knew your were being funny.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending