The Student Room Group

#RememberSrebrenica

In 1995 Serbians were massacring Muslims for their religious beliefs, claiming it was revenge for the ottomans dominance of the Balkans (centuries before). The UN declared a save haven in Srebrenica for Muslims, so Muslims from all over Bosnia flocked to Srebrenica into warehouse buildings. However, whilst under UN protection, Serbian forces entered Srebrenica, killing 8,000 men and children in just 4 hours. It was the worst genocide on European soil in history. Despite this, it was only in 2008 that the UN decided to commemorate the day (July 11th) in the same way that the holocaust is. However, it was 5 years later in 2013 that the first European government, the UK, decided to commemarate the day. Please send around and spread the word so the Bosnians who lost their lives are remembered #RememberSrebrenica

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

No mention of the 2,000 Serbs beheaded by Muslims in 1992 at Srebrenica ??
I've got my tiny violin on standby.
Original post by Skip_Snip

that's mean

what is your opinion on palestinians ?
Reply 4
That was a particularly nasty war.
The world would be a much nicer place if everyone stopped killing one another.
Original post by betaglucowhat
The world would be a much nicer place if everyone stopped killing one another.

Why has no-one thought of this before?
Reply 7
Original post by Skip_Snip

I know what your trying to do and it ain't gonna work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by FKLW
I know what your trying to do and it ain't gonna work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smileys in a thread on Srebrenica. Smooth.
Original post by Clip
That was a particularly nasty war.

Oh yeah. I think that region will have those scars for any years too.
Reply 10
These type of scars are never removed. It was an atrocity which shamed Europe, the biggest ever genocide on European soil. Yet it took 13 years for the UN to recognise it, and then 5 more years for the first government to commemorate the day. To this day it is still not commemorated across Europe. Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by G8D
You sure about that?

Yeah, I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Yeah, I am.

Well you shouldn't be.

Can you read the last 3 words of that article's headline? It's written quite large and is in bold, so you should manage it.

We should have a memorial day for all of those who were killed by both sides in this conflict
Reply 17
Original post by Radicalathiest
We should have a memorial day for all of those who were killed by both sides in this conflict

Ok. We'll also hold a Memorial Day for all the Nazi's involved in killing Jews in concentration camps then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Ok. We'll also hold a Memorial Day for all the Nazi's involved in killing Jews in concentration camps then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that would somehow make you feel better then you go and campaign for it :rolleyes:

But both sides were responsible for atrocities and in this we should remember ALL innocent victims
Reply 19
Original post by Radicalathiest
If that would somehow make you feel better then you go and campaign for it :rolleyes:

But both sides were responsible for atrocities and in this we should remember ALL innocent victims

I agree but the fact that you come onto a thread and disrespect the dead by arguing a point which is founded on allegations and untruths is just distasteful imo. If I went onto a remember the holocaust thread and said let's remember those who Jews have slaughtered (e.g Palestinians) I would probably get slaughtered myself. Double standards and we all know why....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending