The Student Room Group

'business dress' for sixth form

Hi All,

I am starting sixth form in September and the uniform code is 'business dress' help!!

I guess this is blazers etc, but just wondering if anyone has an advice on the best high street shops to get suitable clothes(for girls)/pictures of outfits you wear to sixth form or college/how many clothes or outfits you have for sixth form/general advice?

thankyou!!:^_^:
Reply 1
I ended up having about four skirts (2 black skater skirts, 2 black pencil skirts) & probably around 5 blouses that I actually wore at any one time but more spares. I bought most of it on eBay ‘cause I’m quite particular and it had a bigger range. Plus the cheapness meant I could switch up a couple of blouses every month or so and it not cost much at all. I don’t know about your school, but at mine it was fine to have pretty tops (so long as they weren’t t-shirt material) rather than the bog standard starch white blouse deal, so I minimised my effort in the morning by having interchangable black shoes/skirt/blazer/tights and just having different tops.
I highly recommend Dorothy Perkins, Marks and Spencer and Wallis. Whilst the latter two are considered shops for the more 'mature' woman you can find some lovely skirts and fiitted shirts from M&S as well as good quality and quite cheap blazers from Wallis. Dorothy Perkins is good for blouses, dresses and jackets.

My sixth form allowed us to dress however so I kept it casual, but at university my attire is quite formal. I have around 6 skirts, 8 blazers, 15 tops (an assortment of fitted shirts and blouses), 2 dresses and 3 jackets. To make life easier I recommend sorting your clothes into outfits so that when you wake up before school you can just pick an outfit as opposed to rushing around trying to find matching items.
my school flopped!

said business dress, then let us wear jeans :facepalm:
Primark and H&M are good for blouses if you'd rather have more in your wardrobe to choose from for a more reasonable price! I wouldn't spend too much though because my school loosened the dress code after a while, I was just wearing casual dresses to school most of the time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wore a lot of primark and next when I was in sixth form
I have a lot of stuff from H&M and most of the blouses or shirts I already had, I hardly bought anything new for tops but this will depend from person to person.

This is my standard outfit:
1405200349318.jpg1405200365172.jpg

I like my skater skirt and a shirt or blouse or something, plus a blazer which I wasn't wearing in the photos.

Also during the winter I had a really warm knitted black dress from M&S, but most of my clothes were from H&M.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by knope
I ended up having about four skirts (2 black skater skirts, 2 black pencil skirts) & probably around 5 blouses that I actually wore at any one time but more spares. I bought most of it on eBay ‘cause I’m quite particular and it had a bigger range. Plus the cheapness meant I could switch up a couple of blouses every month or so and it not cost much at all. I don’t know about your school, but at mine it was fine to have pretty tops (so long as they weren’t t-shirt material) rather than the bog standard starch white blouse deal, so I minimised my effort in the morning by having interchangable black shoes/skirt/blazer/tights and just having different tops.

That's a good idea,it will save a lot of time! thanks:smile: my school states I have to have a 'plain' top/shirt and a 'plain' skirt,because last year all the sixth formers wore bright floral print skirts/blazers etc. so I'm more restricted with what I can wear:frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Technetium
I highly recommend Dorothy Perkins, Marks and Spencer and Wallis. Whilst the latter two are considered shops for the more 'mature' woman you can find some lovely skirts and fiitted shirts from M&S as well as good quality and quite cheap blazers from Wallis. Dorothy Perkins is good for blouses, dresses and jackets.

My sixth form allowed us to dress however so I kept it casual, but at university my attire is quite formal. I have around 6 skirts, 8 blazers, 15 tops (an assortment of fitted shirts and blouses), 2 dresses and 3 jackets. To make life easier I recommend sorting your clothes into outfits so that when you wake up before school you can just pick an outfit as opposed to rushing around trying to find matching items.

thankyou! I really want some nice white shirts and pencil skirts:smile: and I don't have one blazer yet but I'll check out those places!
Reply 9
Original post by cupcakes87
my school flopped!

said business dress, then let us wear jeans :facepalm:

sadly I can see no chance of that happening at my school,would be much easier!
Reply 10
Original post by fleshandstone
Primark and H&M are good for blouses if you'd rather have more in your wardrobe to choose from for a more reasonable price! I wouldn't spend too much though because my school loosened the dress code after a while, I was just wearing casual dresses to school most of the time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah,I think that would be easier! thankyou:smile:
This is strange I thought you could just wear what you want in colleges and unis lol...

Anyway yeah new look actually have some nice plain blouse type tops and then just plain skirt/trousers and you're sorted as you can mix and match.

Just be like school I suppose with uniform type atmosphere. Wait and see though it might be less strict than you think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by heirloom
I wore a lot of primark and next when I was in sixth form

thankyou:smile: I think I need to go to primark soon!
Reply 13
Original post by marinajelly
I have a lot of stuff from H&M and most of the blouses or shirts I already had, I hardly bought anything new for tops but this will depend from person to person.

This is my standard outfit:
1405200349318.jpg1405200365172.jpg

I like my skater skirt and a shirt or blouse or something, plus a blazer which I wasn't wearing in the photos.

Also during the winter I had a really warm knitted black dress from M&S, but most of my clothes were from H&M.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love skater skirts! that's a nice one:smile: I really want a wool/knitted dress aswell,would you recommend M&S for one and where else? thankyou btw:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by dead101
This is strange I thought you could just wear what you want in colleges and unis lol...

Anyway yeah new look actually have some nice plain blouse type tops and then just plain skirt/trousers and you're sorted as you can mix and match.

Just be like school I suppose with uniform type atmosphere. Wait and see though it might be less strict than you think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

some you can,mine is 'business dress', I don't know whether that's good or bad!okay,thankyou:smile:
Our school state business dress and for girls that means a pencil skirt suit or tailored trouser suit in a single dark coloured fabric, a blouse with collar in a single colour. Some days 'best dress' is called for which requires a black tailored suit (plain black, no pinstripes) with white collared blouse and black smart shoes.

Girls would be pulled up for wearing skater style skirts, or any blouses like the checkered one in the photo above, nice as that looks, its pretty formal! But its easy, a grey suit, a black suit and half a dozen blouses is all you need to start, the suits will see you thru the whole two years, and the blouses can be changed one at a time along the way as the fancy takes you, or as the sales arrive!
Reply 16
Original post by LolaLowe
Our school state business dress and for girls that means a pencil skirt suit or tailored trouser suit in a single dark coloured fabric, a blouse with collar in a single colour. Some days 'best dress' is called for which requires a black tailored suit (plain black, no pinstripes) with white collared blouse and black smart shoes.

Girls would be pulled up for wearing skater style skirts, or any blouses like the checkered one in the photo above, nice as that looks, its pretty formal! But its easy, a grey suit, a black suit and half a dozen blouses is all you need to start, the suits will see you thru the whole two years, and the blouses can be changed one at a time along the way as the fancy takes you, or as the sales arrive!

I don't think ours is as formal as that,hopefully! because it says smart top/shirt and some girls wear skater skirts/dresses but this year they do have to be a plain colour,thankyou:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending