The Student Room Group

GCSE retakes

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but can anybody tell me if you are aloud to resit gcse maths without having to resit English Lang and lit as well. I know I will only have gotten a C in maths and although it is a pass, I still think it is a terrible grade and I would do anything to change it. I also want to resit triple science because all of my teachers were abysmal at their jobs. My chemistry and physics teacher only talked about football and FIFA and my biology teacher couldn't control the class so we only got a bit of work done at about 10 minutes before the end of the lesson. Even one of the other science teachers admitted that we hadn't been taught most of the things that came up on the AQA chemistry paper. I'm really worried about results day. I'm getting my mum to open the results and then tell me the grades for the things I want to take in sixth form. so does anyone no if you can resit maths without doing english as we'll?
Thank you.
Reply 1
Why would you need to resit English as well? o.O The subjects aren't related, unless GCSEs have massively changed since one year ago when I was in year 11, you can resit maths without having to resit English (Especially since many times you may be doing different boards, so the subjects won't be related in the slightest).
Reply 2
Original post by Okkefac
Why would you need to resit English as well? o.O The subjects aren't related, unless GCSEs have massively changed since one year ago when I was in year 11, you can resit maths without having to resit English (Especially since many times you may be doing different boards, so the subjects won't be related in the slightest).

I hope that's the case but I noticed in my schools a level option booklet that maths and English retake was an option together so I'm not sure
Reply 3
Original post by Michy0812
I hope that's the case but I noticed in my schools a level option booklet that maths and English retake was an option together so I'm not sure

You sure it wasn't maths OR english retake?
As far as I know you can just resit maths, ask your school if they'll allow you to just retake maths, since if you've done well in English there's no reason to add the pressure of extra resits onto you.
Reply 4
Original post by Okkefac
You sure it wasn't maths OR english retake?
As far as I know you can just resit maths, ask your school if they'll allow you to just retake maths, since if you've done well in English there's no reason to add the pressure of extra resits onto you.

Perhaps it was either or. I only took a quick glance at it to be honest. And yeah, I don't need any more resits considering that I'm resiting triple science again as well
Reply 5
Original post by Michy0812
Perhaps it was either or. I only took a quick glance at it to be honest. And yeah, I don't need any more resits considering that I'm resiting triple science again as well

Your school would be idiotic to make you resit a subject you don't need to.

Just contact them and ask about resitting the four subjects you want to :smile: Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by Okkefac
Your school would be idiotic to make you resit a subject you don't need to.

Just contact them and ask about resitting the four subjects you want to :smile: Good luck

Sadly, my school is pretty idiotic but hopefully they aren't completely retarded and thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest