The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Can I ask a bit of advice?

I seem to have upset OH a little bit and I think he's just misunderstood more than anything but wanted a second opinion.

Obviously I'm nearly 20 weeks pregnant, work full time and he has a 6 YO girl who I love to pieces. We have her twice a week and recently I've noticed she is struggling with being jealous of me and doesn't understand about the baby. So I suggested to him that on one of his days with her that they go out and do something without me, some dad and daughter time for her as I think she really needs it. Made the mistake of also mentioning it would help me just get a half day just to sit down, relax and unwind a bit. So now he thinks I don't want her around and is upset that I seem to have made it look like I don't want her around. I do want her around, I adore them both, but I'm exhausted and she needs some time with daddy without me and baby there.

She's only started getting jealous since I've been struggling with sciatica and migraines so a lot of the time is focused on what I need/can do but I don't want that for her, I want time that she can really enjoy with her daddy.

Am I in the wrong?

Not at all. It sounds like she would really benefit from some time with her dad. Pregnancy is tough and you need to look after yourself.

Sit down and have a chat about it. I am sure it will be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask a bit of advice?

I seem to have upset OH a little bit and I think he's just misunderstood more than anything but wanted a second opinion.

Obviously I'm nearly 20 weeks pregnant, work full time and he has a 6 YO girl who I love to pieces. We have her twice a week and recently I've noticed she is struggling with being jealous of me and doesn't understand about the baby. So I suggested to him that on one of his days with her that they go out and do something without me, some dad and daughter time for her as I think she really needs it. Made the mistake of also mentioning it would help me just get a half day just to sit down, relax and unwind a bit. So now he thinks I don't want her around and is upset that I seem to have made it look like I don't want her around. I do want her around, I adore them both, but I'm exhausted and she needs some time with daddy without me and baby there.

She's only started getting jealous since I've been struggling with sciatica and migraines so a lot of the time is focused on what I need/can do but I don't want that for her, I want time that she can really enjoy with her daddy.

Am I in the wrong?

I think your idea sounds like a very good one, and he's perhaps being a bit oversensitive - maybe just because he likes spending time with both of you. I think if you give it a few days to sink in and then try talking it over, he'll understand what you mean.
Ffs, sorry. That was me.
Isaac slept for four and a half hours!! Amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Early pregnancy limbo... went for an EPU scan as just not feeling right for my estimated gestation. Turns out 'it' (?!) is measuring small for dates - so either a weird late ovulation (not impossible) or things are not going well.
Once the Dr realized I was medical as we were saying goodbyes he called me back in to be more doom-laden 'frank' - so now think I'm probably feeling worse for having seen that a few days ago at least there was a little heartbeat. :bawling: Back for repeat scan in a fortnight unless things become obvious before.

But baby is becoming a 'terrible'/tantrum-y toddler (although pretty cute with it) - so that is a good distraction!
Original post by Anonymous
Early pregnancy limbo... went for an EPU scan as just not feeling right for my estimated gestation. Turns out 'it' (?!) is measuring small for dates - so either a weird late ovulation (not impossible) or things are not going well.
Once the Dr realized I was medical as we were saying goodbyes he called me back in to be more doom-laden 'frank' - so now think I'm probably feeling worse for having seen that a few days ago at least there was a little heartbeat. :bawling: Back for repeat scan in a fortnight unless things become obvious before.

But baby is becoming a 'terrible'/tantrum-y toddler (although pretty cute with it) - so that is a good distraction!

I'm sorry. I spent a lot of time working on our Epac when I was on gynae and the waiting seemed really difficult. I hope it is just a case of late ovulation. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm 31 weeks tomorrow - that's 6 weeks until full term, and 9 weeks until due. Eek!

Everything is going fine, but I keep getting really paranoid about toxoplasmosis - we have two cats, one of whom has occasional poo problems (she has diarrhoea today :frown:) and catches things, the other who just jumps on the tables a lot. I'm washing my hands/everything as much as I can, but I keep feeling really worried about cross-contamination etc. etc. I've been tested and am definitely not immune, but I've not had any illnesses during pregnancy that sound like toxoplasmosis - haven't even had so much as a bad cold, in fact.

However, just because I keep reading that symptoms of congenital toxo can show up months or years into a baby's life, I think I'm going to get myself tested again after Herbie comes out. There's not much point doing it now because I'll still worry that I somehow contracted it in the last 8 weeks, and even though I'm 99% sure the result will be negative, I just don't want to worry about it.

Argh!

In good news we are nearly ready. We have a moses basket, so somewhere for baby to sleep at least, and the last few things we need to get are really just a cot, a few more reusable nappies, muslins, and a changing bag. Nearly there!
Original post by Kater Murr
So I'm 31 weeks tomorrow - that's 6 weeks until full term, and 9 weeks until due. Eek!

Everything is going fine, but I keep getting really paranoid about toxoplasmosis - we have two cats, one of whom has occasional poo problems (she has diarrhoea today :frown:) and catches things, the other who just jumps on the tables a lot. I'm washing my hands/everything as much as I can, but I keep feeling really worried about cross-contamination etc. etc. I've been tested and am definitely not immune, but I've not had any illnesses during pregnancy that sound like toxoplasmosis - haven't even had so much as a bad cold, in fact.

However, just because I keep reading that symptoms of congenital toxo can show up months or years into a baby's life, I think I'm going to get myself tested again after Herbie comes out. There's not much point doing it now because I'll still worry that I somehow contracted it in the last 8 weeks, and even though I'm 99% sure the result will be negative, I just don't want to worry about it.

Argh!

In good news we are nearly ready. We have a moses basket, so somewhere for baby to sleep at least, and the last few things we need to get are really just a cot, a few more reusable nappies, muslins, and a changing bag. Nearly there!

For what it is worth we have four cats and things seem ok. You should be ok if you take sensible precautions eg wearing gloves when cleaning up and regular hand washing. It is normal to be anxious though x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by randdom
For what it is worth we have four cats and things seem ok. You should be ok if you take sensible precautions eg wearing gloves when cleaning up and regular hand washing. It is normal to be anxious though x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't wear gloves but I do wash up very thoroughly. It's more that even though we don't use a litter tray generally we have one cat who got ill while I was pregnant and she's had some diarrhoea problems since :frown:
Original post by randdom
I'm sorry. I spent a lot of time working on our Epac when I was on gynae and the waiting seemed really difficult. I hope it is just a case of late ovulation. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's interesting - would be a much better O&G/Paeds SHO if I were to redo them now! :tongue:

How are you doing on the sleep front? I remember when I first started to get 4-6 hours again I felt worse initially!

Thank you for the good wishes. The BD retching/vomitting has now started - which is comparable to the last pregnancy at the stage the scan put us at - so feeling slightly more hopefully that it is a late ovulation.

We don't have a cat for me to get paranoid about but my new one is febrile/rash-y children & parvovirus! :rolleyes:
20 week scan tomorrow! Nervous and excited!
20 week scan tomorrow! Nervous and excited!

Ooo exciting! I can't remember if you said are you finding out the gender?
Original post by randdom
Ooo exciting! I can't remember if you said are you finding out the gender?

He really wants to, I don't mind either way so I think we will. Just won't be bothered if baby has legs crossed!

Baby kicking so much at the moment, even he can feel baby kicking away :biggrin: but I am still teeny tiny, 20 weeks and you can't tell at all!
He really wants to, I don't mind either way so I think we will. Just won't be bothered if baby has legs crossed!

Baby kicking so much at the moment, even he can feel baby kicking away :biggrin: but I am still teeny tiny, 20 weeks and you can't tell at all!

it will come :smile: my bump popped suddenly at 22 weeks!

It's interesting - would be a much better O&G/Paeds SHO if I were to redo them now! :tongue:

How are you doing on the sleep front? I remember when I first started to get 4-6 hours again I felt worse initially!

Thank you for the good wishes. The BD retching/vomitting has now started - which is comparable to the last pregnancy at the stage the scan put us at - so feeling slightly more hopefully that it is a late ovulation.

We don't have a cat for me to get paranoid about but my new one is febrile/rash-y children & parvovirus! :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed. When is your next scan?

Sleep is mixed at the moment. Still had a max of four and a half hours but usually nearer to 3 :frown:
Original post by randdom
it will come :smile: my bump popped suddenly at 22 weeks!

(

Making the most of being small :yep:

Just saw my first kick, Absolutely gutted he is at work :frown:
Nathan is 1 tomorrow!

I honestly can't believe how fast the past year has gone, it's ridiculous.
He has 6 teeth now and is cruising around and has tried climbing the stairs but I rescued him from the second step before he got any further!

My last baby is seeming more and more like a toddler every day.

I'm so blessed to have my kids. It's bittersweet watching them grow up.
We are having a girl!

So repeat scan today was good news! :eek: :biggrin: Still a little heartbeat & has grown a little more than would be expected in the interval.

So hopefully countdown on for only another 6-7 months or so back at work...
So repeat scan today was good news! :eek: :biggrin: Still a little heartbeat & has grown a little more than would be expected in the interval.

So hopefully countdown on for only another 6-7 months or so back at work...

Amazing news!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We had our 32 week appointment today - baby is very mobile and was moving around while the midwife was trying to feel what position he's in, but she thinks he's head down already so that's good.

They have also taken more blood for extra tests because my blood pressure was a little high today. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest