The Student Room Group

Asda Dismissal!

I've worked for asda and phoned in sick on 2 separate occasions for two genuine reasons which completely stopped me getting to work.
However on the 2nd occaison, i phoned in sick at 12pm, was due to start work at 4pm but was still so ill, and then unfortuantly HAD to go into the shop at 9:30pm to get paracetamol for myself and calpol for my baby sister who was being sick every half hour.
Two managers saw me in the shop and wrote reports saying that they had "seen me shopping despite phoning sick" and now my manager is pissed and is accusing me of lying.

My argument is that popping into my local shop to get medicine is COMPLETELY different to working a 8 hour shift which involves heavy lifting and climbing up and down the aisles. I wouldn't have been able to do that seeing as i was being sick every 20 minutes.

But i have a disciplinary hearing this week anyway and chances are im getting sacked. I've searched the internet for a similar story to see if i could win a tribunal, but i couldnt find anything. So i want to hear if anyone knows if i have any rights, or if its unfair dismissal.
Reply 1
Can you get a note from your doctor stating this? Maybe it can help your case? Or maybe someone who was with you at the time, or knew how you were feeling can support you?
do you have the receipt?

you are right that going round the corner to the shop for medicine for a small child is very different to working a strenuous 8 hour shift however it probably depends how reasonable your manager is
Original post by doodle_333
do you have the receipt?

you are right that going round the corner to the shop for medicine for a small child is very different to working a strenuous 8 hour shift however it probably depends how reasonable your manager is

I don't have the receipt as i didn't think it'd cause such a problem but that probably would have helped my case. I'll just have to explain everything as much as i can and hope for the best! Got the meeting some time this week :s-smilie: ugh
Original post by anonymous1211
I don't have the receipt as i didn't think it'd cause such a problem but that probably would have helped my case. I'll just have to explain everything as much as i can and hope for the best! Got the meeting some time this week :s-smilie: ugh

I assume you're part of GMB, ASDA's recognised trade union. Talk to a rep and make sure they attend any disciplinary meetings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending