The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TargetPoint
Best of luck to all those with upcoming interviews and applications. :smile:

I had an interview at IoE last week. Only 4 of us turned up out of 8/9. They have 6 places left. The interview was very relaxed. The 1-1 interview consisted of just going over our application. No questions about why you wanted to teach etc. The only part of the day that I let myself down on was the presentation, as the person before me did a great presentation, and I got nervous as a result, which showed. Shaky hands, crackling voice, scribbling handwriting on the flip board, and I ended before the time was up. Was kicking myself afterwards.

They said they'll let us know by Wednesday. I'm not expecting an offer, but am keeping my fingers crossed none-the-less. :smile:

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Conditional offer! Speechless. :biggrin:

Awaiting an emailing confirming the conditions.

Excellent! Well done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Decided extremely late to apply for PGCE primary this year in the school direct route. I have only a weeks work exp so I very much doubt I'm gonna get an offer this year but lo, it is worth trying. Really confused by the personal statement thing, why are there two boxes which are essentially asking you to do the same thing.
Original post by Peachz
Decided extremely late to apply for PGCE primary this year in the school direct route. I have only a weeks work exp so I very much doubt I'm gonna get an offer this year but lo, it is worth trying. Really confused by the personal statement thing, why are there two boxes which are essentially asking you to do the same thing.

Hello! Congrats on making the decision on applying. One box is about you and how your suited to teaching etc and the other is like a CV almost. It is just your work experience listed. Hope that helps!There is more information on UCAS.
Had my interview today. There was three of us, all of us received the call on Friday afternoon. There are four places available - two core route, two Schools Direct. I really hope I get it, it was a great interview and I actually enjoyed being there. I wasn't as nervous as usual because the interviewers were lovely. Fingers crossed! They said I should hear back within ten working days.

Congratulations!!! Well done :smile:

xxx
I am reapplying, glad there are people in the same boat! I had got accepted onto a Primary PGCE last year but couldnt begin due to health reasons, so reapplying this year. Trying to gain further experience in a school, but I agree, it's a long task to just volunteer!
Hey everyone,
I've accepted an offer onto the primary pgce at Manchester university!
Gonna be commuting from Liverpool which I'm not too pleased about though haha.
Haven't heard anything from the university other than feedback on my tests...
Anybody else off to Manchester?
Good luck to everyone applying or waiting on news :smile:
Anyone doing secondary pgce mfl?
Original post by kwhite7
I am reapplying, glad there are people in the same boat! I had got accepted onto a Primary PGCE last year but couldnt begin due to health reasons, so reapplying this year. Trying to gain further experience in a school, but I agree, it's a long task to just volunteer!

Good luck and keep persevering!

Original post by Hollrobinson
Hey everyone,
I've accepted an offer onto the primary pgce at Manchester university!
Gonna be commuting from Liverpool which I'm not too pleased about though haha.
Haven't heard anything from the university other than feedback on my tests...
Anybody else off to Manchester?
Good luck to everyone applying or waiting on news :smile:

Congratulations :smile:

---

Forgot how long the waiting process is. It's only been one day and I'm already dying to know. How am I going to distract myself for ten working days? It's my birthday on Thursday and all I can think about is how good it would be to get an offer for my 21st...
Original post by 342758
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I need some advice.

I've been thinking of applying for a PGCE primary with MFL course since I'm French and it is my first language (I've seen courses saying that if it's your first language you don't need a degree in the language to be considered). However, I'm gonna be starting the 3rd year of my degree (in chemistry) next september and my academic record isn't really that great. I have sufficient GCSEs and A-levels but my grades this past year at uni haven't really been that great, I didn't do so well in my exams and I have two resits to do this august. I still have 60% of my degree remaining and I can still pull up my grades but I'm worried because I really struggled this year with motivating myself to study and I feel like I lost all interest in my degree subject :/ I'm hoping to graduate with at a 2.2, a 2.1 is still possible but it's not so realistic..
I have volunteered with Girl Guiding this past year and I also interned at a supplementary school for 6 months. I'm also looking to do some shadowing in a mainstream school for next september so I can also put this in my personal statement. Do you think I have a shot at a place on a PGCE primary course with a not so great academic record? I'm afraid that they will see that I haven't done well this past year and completely write me off as a result. I know the personal statement and passion for teaching is the most important and I have already started on my first draft and I'm hoping to send off my application as early as possible.

If you have any advice I'd be extremely grateful! (sorry for the long text)

It's certainly possible to get onto a PGCE with a 2:2, though it is harder, and some places will only consider 2:1 or 1st. Give it a go anyway and concentrate on getting the best grades possible in second year, maybe visit student services at your uni and take advantage of any study skills sessions. Good luck!
Graduated today and came home to an interview offer on Friday at 9am! Gah. So excited but worried I won't have much time to prep for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Graduated today and came home to an interview offer on Friday at 9am! Gah. So excited but worried I won't have much time to prep for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on graduating, and receiving an interview offer. I received my interview offer early last week, had an interview on Friday and was offered a place on Monday. You'll be fine. As you're doing Computing also, I'd imagine there will only be a few of you at the interview. There were 3 others at mine.

Best of luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had the same thing. Got a call on Friday afternoon, was interviewed Monday morning. It's tough to get everything organised but worth it. :smile: Good luck!
Congratulations on graduating, and receiving an interview offer. I received my interview offer early last week, had an interview on Friday and was offered a place on Monday. You'll be fine. As you're doing Computing also, I'd imagine there will only be a few of you at the interview. There were 3 others at mine.

Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you!

Congrats on the offer! I'm doubting it'll be too busy and the only thing that I'm worried about is the group interview.

It being at 9am means I get to stay over at my uni housemates' house tomorrow night and I can't wait to see them again :biggrin: and I've missed Nottingham for so long so fingers crossed!

Original post by alabelle
I had the same thing. Got a call on Friday afternoon, was interviewed Monday morning. It's tough to get everything organised but worth it. :smile: Good luck!

Ooh. I feel better knowing others have been in the same position - seems very rushed. In the process of tidying up my teaching portfolio about observations. I'm hoping that seeing 15 classes across three days makes them less terrified about me not meeting the 10 day requirement. They must be willing to work something out if they know that I haven't completed them but are still willing to interview me+

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!

Congrats on the offer! I'm doubting it'll be too busy and the only thing that I'm worried about is the group interview.

It being at 9am means I get to stay over at my uni housemates' house tomorrow night and I can't wait to see them again :biggrin: and I've missed Nottingham for so long so fingers crossed!

Ooh. I feel better knowing others have been in the same position - seems very rushed. In the process of tidying up my teaching portfolio about observations. I'm hoping that seeing 15 classes across three days makes them less terrified about me not meeting the 10 day requirement. They must be willing to work something out if they know that I haven't completed them but are still willing to interview me+

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have they informed you what the group exercise entails? For mine, we were each given a card with 5 items listed, i.e. FTP, Binary, Visual Basic, CPU, GUI, and had to describe them without using their name for others to guess - basically charades. It was quite fun actually. Especially as the interviewer got involved and played alongside us.

Have fun visiting your friends, but don't get plastered the night before the interview. Nothing worse than a full day assessment with a throbbing hangover. :biggrin:
Have they informed you what the group exercise entails? For mine, we were each given a card with 5 items listed, i.e. FTP, Binary, Visual Basic, CPU, GUI, and had to describe them without using their name for others to guess - basically charades. It was quite fun actually. Especially as the interviewer got involved and played alongside us.

Have fun visiting your friends, but don't get plastered the night before the interview. Nothing worse than a full day assessment with a throbbing hangover. :biggrin:

They haven't told me. Hope I get something like yours! They've let me know about the presentation bit and it's about a recent development in computing so that's pretty easy with all of the changes going on.

And luckily they all have work/phd things to be doing the next day so I should be safe. I imagine the day after could end in our favourite cocktail bar though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have just received my welcome letter and checklist after confirming my secondary PGCE offer. One of the 'tasks' is to spend 5 days in a primary school before the start of the course. They've given 1 week in September to do this also. As I'm late to the game, it's certainly going to be difficult to accomplish, with the majority of schools breaking up in 2 days. Hopefully they're lenient on this for undersubscribed subjects with late applications.

I'll start firing off some emails tomorrow to all of the local primary schools!
Have just received my welcome letter and checklist after confirming my secondary PGCE offer. One of the 'tasks' is to spend 5 days in a primary school before the start of the course. They've given 1 week in September to do this also. As I'm late to the game, it's certainly going to be difficult to accomplish, with the majority of schools breaking up in 2 days. Hopefully they're lenient on this for undersubscribed subjects with late applications.

I'll start firing off some emails tomorrow to all of the local primary schools!

Congratulations on your offer! some schools break up on Wednesday- maybe you could try and fit in three days before the end of term and two days first week of Sept? Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending