The Student Room Group

HELP! Just arrived in London from Los Angeles and now my views on uni has changed!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alow
New York. Living costs cheaper. What the **** have you been smoking?

Have you ever actually visited New York or LA? Maybe you should before saying they're better than any place in the UK. Personally I'd live in London over LA any day.

Property wise they're similar prices to London man, if you wanna live in London you wanna be in Central not the slummy areas outside of it.
Salaries are higher in America, so you'd technically be slightly better off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birmingham is a city on the rise. It's currently undergoing a 1 billion pound re-development project, it's gaining a new positive reputation and is a nice place.

The reality is, I've studied abroad (in Australia) and I met Americans who I talked to about the UK and they seem to think it just evolves around London. Somebody said to me 'I get confused by the UK, and all the names for it, I mean do you call it Britain, England or London?'

London is the capital, so there is the most going on there. I lived there when I interned at Parliament. But I'm from Birmingham and its a lovely place as well. There's many great delights all over the UK which you can travel to during your time here. It might be helpful to get out of the London bubble and enjoy a different place, you'll find Birmingham more British, London is full of people that believe the world evolves around London. Birmingham is a higher regarded uni than UAL anyhow. Best of luck.
Here in the UK getting a degree earns you respect and uni league tables change so dramatically they've lost a lot of credibility. Cost of living is SIGNIFICANTLY higher in London than anywhere else. Manchester, Cardiff, etc are also respected economically prosperous cities.

You should use The Times uni league as a general idea.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Thank you for your comments, it really helps!

I did loads of research prior to coming here and was 96% set on Birmingham based on it reputability on the league tables, employability and night life. Only reason why I started getting concerned was because it had only been 8 hours and two people made those comments without me asking for their opinion. So at that point I thought, they were trying to be helpful and seriously warn me. One of them even said if I applied to U of Manchester, I would have more of a social life/ uni experience. (which I didn't apply to)

I came from a massive university in thee united states with 50,000 students and it was very social and posh but honestly I'm over that now. The only reason why I took their comments so seriously was because I thought I would be missing out on a full British uni experience. I have 10 more days in the UK to decide so I'll probably keep writing in if I hear other odd comments when I travel up to Birmingham and scotland. I truly appreciate your feedback! Thank You!!
Original post by mbaker18
Please help!

I'm from Los Angeles and I've been accepted to University of Westminster, University of the Arts London (LCC MA Advertising), Royal Holloway, University of East Anglia, University of Aberdeen and University of Birmingham.

(all of the other unis are for Msc Marketing)

At first UAL was my top choice, it wasn't until I did research on student life/social life that I thought a "campus setting" would be a better fit. A few days ago I got an offer from University of Birmingham which changed everything. I thought it was a game changer because it had a campus and was a russell group uni which has a lot of respect and job opportunities.

I just landed in London about 8 hours ago for the first time and so far two Londoners have asked why I thought Birmingham was a good choice? They implied how boring it was and how if I'm coming to the UK, London is where I need to be. These were two random people, one at UK Boarder who suggested UAL because it was in London, the other around Camden Lock suggested Royal Holloway because its near London and is most respected of them all.

This has really thrown me off because they made it seem like it was a bad choice? In the U.S college ranking is everything so I figured, Bham being a russell group uni, would be a better option.

Please provide me with your honest opinions on which uni is most reputable and how I should go about deciding?

Long term goal: I know its difficult but I plan to eventually move to the UK and I want to have made a good choice in Uni.

Thank You!

I went to uni in Birmingham.
I've been here 3 years.
I wanted to leave after the 1st year.
I used to like Birmingham when i VISITED hence why I chose it.
But living here is a whole other matter.

In terms of which is the best city to live in? London hands down.
Which is the best Uni (from your list) I would say Birmingham.

Had a quick look on here the site below
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

you can see Birmingham Uni is the highest ranking out of the ones you've selected above.

the only uni in london on that list is royal holloway.

these websites might be useful for you
http://www.theguardian.com/education/universityguide
http://www.whatuni.com/

those are websites british kids use to check out where is best.

I'd say Birmingham University is the most internationally known university you have up there.

stuff like the course will make a difference. so again it depends on whats motivating you

what do you want your uni experience to be like?
if you like that old classical university style like oxford & cambridge then Birmingham would be your best choice. its a well ran uni and is quite self contained. if you look at it from above it kinda looks like the vatican.

if you chose uni by experiences of fun and culture i would pick a london university. because london has the most mixed chances for culture and what not. other cities outside the uk just dont have anywhere nearly as much going on. and if they do its not as good.

in regards to which of the london unis u picked.
UAL is probably the best in terms of being a modern university with fun stuff to do with a mix of old classical uni to it.

westminster uni might seem famous due to its connection with westminster and many around the world will have heard of westminster being where parliament is based. i think thats a great uni for law students and its the oldest polytechnic in the uk. so its rooted from a working world ethos.
from what i've seen it looks very professional to the point of seeming a bit boring.

Royal Holloway certainly looks big and old and impressive. but it doesnt look as modern and active as UAL or Westminster.

UAL is the best london university you have according to the the Guardian League Table
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

So I would pick either Birmingham or UAL.

I would pick UAL.

things I'd look for in a uni are
Fun City
Fun Uni
Well Organised
Good Societies
Prestige
Modern Uni
Classical Uni

Birmingham is more classical, possibly has better societies, is possibly better for being organised.

UAL is a mix between modern and classical, is very active, in a great city.
it still has prestige, good societies and organisation but just may not beat Birmingham Uni.

if you want to be flung into the middle of nowhere in the countryside and like scottish charm and dont mind reducing the things i mentioned above. then aberdeen could be your 3rd option.

my choices would be in this order.

1. UAL
2. Birmingham Uni
3. Royal Holloway
4. Aberdeen
5. Westminster
6. University East Anglia

If you are considering staying in the UK I would definitely pick London.
Londons an international city.

put it this way.
I've got many local friends in birmingham. and I can safely say i've never heard a brummy (someone from birmingham) say that they loved birmingham.

londoners. love london. people from all over the world. love london. people from the uk want to leave their little towns and run away to london.

London is the 3rd largest city in europe (behind moscow and istanbul)
and is a larger city than New York.

Londons the place to be. not birmingham.

I spent a year in London. I wanted to stay, when I left i wanted to go back.
I wanted to leave birmingham after 6 months 6 months more i couldn't stand the place.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shaolin Punk

Fun City
Fun Uni
Well Organised
Good Societies
Prestige
Modern Uni
Classical Uni

1. UAL
2. Birmingham Uni
3. Royal Holloway
4. Aberdeen
5. Westminster

Out of interest why do you consider UEA to be the last choice? UEA is one of the top universities for student experience and it does well in the rankings (14th in the Guardian this year). It was rated Number 1 for clubs and societies in the country. Norwich is only a 2 hour train journey from London too... and it's got the beach nearby!

https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/experienceuea/student-experience
Original post by thenationalhealth
Out of interest why do you consider UEA to be the last choice? UEA is one of the top universities for student experience and it does well in the rankings (14th in the Guardian this year). It was rated Number 1 for clubs and societies in the country. Norwich is only a 2 hour train journey from London too... and it's got the beach nearby!

https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/experienceuea/student-experience

very well may be.
but in my own social circles i've never met anyone that went there. norwich is just not somewhere i think of. when i look at ents24 at all the bands im interested in and all the djs im interested in its i never see norwich come up.

i could be totally misinformed. but i've never heard anyone go "right lads we're driving down to norwich tonight!"

out of all the choices. its the lowest ranked uni outside of london.

i dont think east anglia is quite well known internationally compared to birmingham aberdeen and london. just as a known name.
x

Well I go to school in London and most of our sixth formers go to universities not in London so...

In your case just trust your research and not what two strangers have to say! Us Londoners are biased when it comes to places better than London (pride and all I guess). Although I don't think London is that special but if you want to visit it then it's only like 2 hours away. If you feel that you would be better off in a London university then have a look at their website and perhaps make comparisons to Birmingham? Check course structures and pick a uni that you can actually picture yourself in and like the course.

Don't let what people say about your uni sway you.
Reply 28
As a born and bred Londoner, I applied to five Universities and not a single one was in London. Before anyone says I didn't have the grades to, I'm predicted A* A* A.
You couldn't pay me to stay here for 3 years to do my degree (and you would need to pay me a lot just to afford a sandwich).
I'm off to Birmingham because I loved the look of it and the course. Whether I still love it in three years time? Who knows? That part of the experience.
Don't listen to partisan people. Go with your instincts.
Please help!

I'm from Los Angeles and I've been accepted to University of Westminster, University of the Arts London (LCC MA Advertising), Royal Holloway, University of East Anglia, University of Aberdeen and University of Birmingham.

(all of the other unis are for Msc Marketing)

At first UAL was my top choice, it wasn't until I did research on student life/social life that I thought a "campus setting" would be a better fit. A few days ago I got an offer from University of Birmingham which changed everything. I thought it was a game changer because it had a campus and was a russell group uni which has a lot of respect and job opportunities.

I just landed in London about 8 hours ago for the first time and so far two Londoners have asked why I thought Birmingham was a good choice? They implied how boring it was and how if I'm coming to the UK, London is where I need to be. These were two random people, one at UK Boarder who suggested UAL because it was in London, the other around Camden Lock suggested Royal Holloway because its near London and is most respected of them all.

This has really thrown me off because they made it seem like it was a bad choice? In the U.S college ranking is everything so I figured, Bham being a russell group uni, would be a better option.

Please provide me with your honest opinions on which uni is most reputable and how I should go about deciding?

Long term goal: I know its difficult but I plan to eventually move to the UK and I want to have made a good choice in Uni.

Thank You!

They're just ignorant plebs, ignore them. Birmingham is an excellent university in a dynamic, thriving, exciting city.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Holloway is good; birmingham is good and UEA is good - the rest I wouldn't give tuppence for.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

It is always wise to do your research before you arrive

league tables are aimed primarily at UNDERGRADUATE study. For an masters there are other factors to take into account.

OP I would seriously think about your LCC offer. For Marketing, especially if you hope to move to the UK to work, LCC probably offers you the most opportunities to network and make contacts with a view to getting a job offer and a visa to work in the UK. You'd be likely to be studying alongside people already working in the business as well as possible placements/contacts/guest lectures.

It is a long way from a big campus uni experience though. You need to decide what your primary purpose for your masters is. If it is for a uni experience that is similar to your UG experience but in a UK environment than Birmingham ticks those boxes. If you're looking to find employment and make a life working in marketing in the UK then LCC.
Mainly because noone has posted about it already, but I'm going to fly the flag for Aberdeen. I study in Aberdeen so I know it's a nice city to stay in, and also has great connections to Edinburgh/Glasgow, along with other locations which would be handy for exploring if you wanted to. Student nights out are cheap as well. :smile: Definitely visit it, any Americans I've met through uni absolutely love the place :smile:
I am a bit embarrass to say this but I would say Birmingham is a better choice than all the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
league tables are aimed primarily at UNDERGRADUATE study. For an masters there are other factors to take into account.

OP I would seriously think about your LCC offer. For Marketing, especially if you hope to move to the UK to work, LCC probably offers you the most opportunities to network and make contacts with a view to getting a job offer and a visa to work in the UK. You'd be likely to be studying alongside people already working in the business as well as possible placements/contacts/guest lectures.

It is a long way from a big campus uni experience though. You need to decide what your primary purpose for your masters is. If it is for a uni experience that is similar to your UG experience but in a UK environment than Birmingham ticks those boxes. If you're looking to find employment and make a life working in marketing in the UK then LCC.

This is true in terms of networking. you won't believe how much connection some lecturers in LCC have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaolin Punk
I went to uni in Birmingham.
I've been here 3 years.
I wanted to leave after the 1st year.
I used to like Birmingham when i VISITED hence why I chose it.
But living here is a whole other matter.

In terms of which is the best city to live in? London hands down.
Which is the best Uni (from your list) I would say Birmingham.

Had a quick look on here the site below
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

you can see Birmingham Uni is the highest ranking out of the ones you've selected above.

the only uni in london on that list is royal holloway.

these websites might be useful for you
http://www.theguardian.com/education/universityguide
http://www.whatuni.com/

those are websites british kids use to check out where is best.

I'd say Birmingham University is the most internationally known university you have up there.

stuff like the course will make a difference. so again it depends on whats motivating you

what do you want your uni experience to be like?
if you like that old classical university style like oxford & cambridge then Birmingham would be your best choice. its a well ran uni and is quite self contained. if you look at it from above it kinda looks like the vatican.

if you chose uni by experiences of fun and culture i would pick a london university. because london has the most mixed chances for culture and what not. other cities outside the uk just dont have anywhere nearly as much going on. and if they do its not as good.

in regards to which of the london unis u picked.
UAL is probably the best in terms of being a modern university with fun stuff to do with a mix of old classical uni to it.

westminster uni might seem famous due to its connection with westminster and many around the world will have heard of westminster being where parliament is based. i think thats a great uni for law students and its the oldest polytechnic in the uk. so its rooted from a working world ethos.
from what i've seen it looks very professional to the point of seeming a bit boring.

Royal Holloway certainly looks big and old and impressive. but it doesnt look as modern and active as UAL or Westminster.

UAL is the best london university you have according to the the Guardian League Table
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

So I would pick either Birmingham or UAL.

I would pick UAL.

Fun City
Fun Uni
Well Organised
Good Societies
Prestige
Modern Uni
Classical Uni

Birmingham is more classical, possibly has better societies, is possibly better for being organised.

UAL is a mix between modern and classical, is very active, in a great city.
it still has prestige, good societies and organisation but just may not beat Birmingham Uni.

if you want to be flung into the middle of nowhere in the countryside and like scottish charm and dont mind reducing the things i mentioned above. then aberdeen could be your 3rd option.

1. UAL
2. Birmingham Uni
3. Royal Holloway
4. Aberdeen
5. Westminster

If you are considering staying in the UK I would definitely pick London.
Londons an international city.

put it this way.
I've got many local friends in birmingham. and I can safely say i've never heard a brummy (someone from birmingham) say that they loved birmingham.

londoners. love london. people from all over the world. love london. people from the uk want to leave their little towns and run away to london.

London is the 3rd largest city in europe (behind moscow and istanbul)
and is a larger city than New York.

Londons the place to be. not birmingham.

I spent a year in London. I wanted to stay, when I left i wanted to go back.
I wanted to leave birmingham after 6 months 6 months more i couldn't stand the place.

Is the list overall for 2015? Was just shock at the ranking of UAL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by donutaud15
I am a bit embarrass to say this but I would say Birmingham is a better choice than all the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait why embarrassed?

Also do you guys really think that UAL (LCC) connections are better than Birmingham because Birmingham has 80% job prospects and is ranked #17 I would assume that a higher ranked uni would attract better employers.

Another thing I forgot to mention, initially I was really interested in LCC but after reading a few articles about students saying they lacked a social life because everyone is so scattered throughout the city I was a little set back. As an American coming to the UK on my own, I really want my social life to not be so difficult to create. I know no one in the UK so i figured a campus might make it easier?
Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK. So if your to be anywhere other than London then it could be considered second best. Don't listen to what they say. B'ham is a good uni and a good city
Reply 37
Only reason why I started getting concerned was because it had only been 8 hours and two people made those comments without me asking for their opinion. So at that point I thought, they were trying to be helpful and seriously warn me

Ah. I think you've experienced your first culture clash. You'll find that us Brits have an opinion on everything from politics to paint stripper, and we can be very keen to share our opinions whether you ask or not.

A Brit giving you an unsolicited opinion, doesn't mean that the opinion on offer is in the slightest bit valid :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by peedie pixie
Mainly because noone has posted about it already, but I'm going to fly the flag for Aberdeen. I study in Aberdeen so I know it's a nice city to stay in, and also has great connections to Edinburgh/Glasgow, along with other locations which would be handy for exploring if you wanted to. Student nights out are cheap as well. :smile: Definitely visit it, any Americans I've met through uni absolutely love the place :smile:

Thank you for mentioning Aberdeen! what do you mean "connections with edinburgh/glasgow"? Can you elaborate a little bit more your review on the school? How is the social life/ student life? Reputation? Is it respected in Scotland or is it hiding in the shadows of St. Andrews Edinburgh and Glasgow?
"Connections to Edinburgh/Glasgow" probably means that it's easy to travel to either of those two places (train, road etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending