The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths structure

So I have just done first yr of A level.
i did C1-4, S1-2,D1-2 & FP1
that is technically 1.5 A levels. I want to have S3 & S4 for next yr, so could I do either FP2/3 with s3 and s4 which would make up A2 further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rkai01
So I have just done first yr of A level.
i did C1-4, S1-2,D1-2 & FP1
that is technically 1.5 A levels. I want to have S3 & S4 for next yr, so could I do either FP2/3 with s3 and s4 which would make up A2 further maths?

Yes. You have done A level maths and AS Further Maths. Any 3 more units including at least one from FP2 and FP3 will complete A level Further maths.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Yes. You have done A level maths and AS Further Maths. Any 3 more units including at least one from FP2 and FP3 will complete A level Further maths.

So for the A2 could I have FP2/3, S3 , M1 for example? But apparently in order to have a different module [M,S,D] they have to be the same number. so if S1,D1 went to towards normal maths and S2,D2 for further AS then isnt it restricted as to which combinations I could have for the A2? Slightly confused.
Reply 3
Original post by Rkai01
So for the A2 could I have FP2/3, S3 , M1 for example? But apparently in order to have a different module [M,S,D] they have to be the same number. so if S1,D1 went to towards normal maths and S2,D2 for further AS then isnt it restricted as to which combinations I could have for the A2? Slightly confused.

Maths has to have C1-4 and then any 2 Unit 1s (i.e. 2 from M1, S1, D1) or a pair of 1 & 2 with matching letters, e.g. M1 & 2.

Furtehr Maths has to have FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and anything else you haven't used in Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Maths has to have C1-4 and then any 2 Unit 1s (i.e. 2 from M1, S1, D1) or a pair of 1 & 2 with matching letters, e.g. M1 & 2.

Furtehr Maths has to have FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and anything else you haven't used in Maths.

So could fp1,m1,d2 for AS & fp2,s3,s4 for A2 count given that S2 isnt used for anything?
Reply 5
Original post by Rkai01
So could fp1,m1,d2 for AS & fp2,s3,s4 for A2 count given that S2 isnt used for anything?

Yes - but you don't actually get a choice. If you cash in maths and Further maths at the same time the exam board automatically allocates your units according to the rules maximising your Maths and then your FM grade.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Yes - but you don't actually get a choice. If you cash in maths and Further maths at the same time the exam board automatically allocates your units according to the rules maximising your Maths and then your FM grade.

But I have read that you cannot have M2,M3 or S3,S4 if you haven't done M1; the previous stats.
So how could you have M2 without having done M1 or having S3/S4 without S2 for instance?
Reply 7
Original post by Rkai01
But I have read that you cannot have M2,M3 or S3,S4 if you haven't done M1; the previous stats.

Where have you read it?

You will probably struggle with elements of the later units if you haven't done the earlier ones, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't do SI or M1 as they are very easy, but the rules do not require you to use M1 or S1 in the 12 units involved in cashing-in Maths and Further maths. http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
Where have you read it?

You will probably struggle with elements of the later units if you haven't done the earlier ones, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't do SI or M1 as they are very easy, but the rules do not require you to use M1 or S1 in the 12 units involved in cashing-in Maths and Further maths. http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information

Ahh so by reading this how will I know whether I have certified/locked my current units. How can I do it so that all units are considered next year so that all can be used for both normal and further maths?
Reply 9
Original post by Rkai01
Ahh so by reading this how will I know whether I have certified/locked my current units. How can I do it so that all units are considered next year so that all can be used for both normal and further maths?

As long as the centre cashes-in all the Maths A levels again (normally this just means Maths again) then all the units can be moved around to your best advantage.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
As long as the centre cashes-in all the Maths A levels again (normally this just means Maths again) then all the units can be moved around to your best advantage.

Would the centre be the school? Do they do it automatically or do I have to ask?
Original post by Rkai01
Would the centre be the school? Do they do it automatically or do I have to ask?

The centre is the school or college where you take the exams. They ought to do it automatically but it's probably a good idea just to check in January/February when the entries are made.
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
The centre is the school or college where you take the exams. They ought to do it automatically but it's probably a good idea just to check in January/February when the entries are made.

Hi again,
So in terms of A* for further. I understand the A2 modules should average (or aggregate 270 ums) 90 ums. Does atleast one of these modules have to be FP2/3 or could it be only applied?
So lets just make up that FP1,FP2/3,S1,M2,S2,D2 are used for further. Can S1 be used for an A2? + would a combination of S1,M2,D2 be used for A2, Im guessing not but there can be some weird combos.
Original post by Rkai01
Hi again,
So in terms of A* for further. I understand the A2 modules should average (or aggregate 270 ums) 90 ums. Does atleast one of these modules have to be FP2/3 or could it be only applied?
So lets just make up that FP1,FP2/3,S1,M2,S2,D2 are used for further. Can S1 be used for an A2? + would a combination of S1,M2,D2 be used for A2, Im guessing not but there can be some weird combos.

Your best 3 units with a '2' or more after them will be used. If you score 270+ on those 3, you'll get your A*.

Obviously not including C2.

Edit: Assuming you have the 80 average overall.
Reply 14
Original post by alexmufc1995
Your best 3 units with a '2' or more after them will be used. If you score 270+ on those 3, you'll get your A*.

Obviously not including C2.

Edit: Assuming you have the 80 average overall.

But can a '1' be used for A2? So confirming that it doesn't have to be a FP module of average 90? E.g M2,FP3,D2 or M2,D2,M3
Original post by Rkai01
But can a '1' be used for A2? So confirming that it doesn't have to be a FP module of average 90? E.g M2,FP3,D2 or M2,D2,M3

A '1' cannot be used in A2 Further. It can, however, in Maths (e.g C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, S1) but it won't contribute to the A*, since that's a 90% average between C3 and C4.

Both the examples you've given are acceptable.
Original post by Rkai01
Hi again,

Units ending in a 2 or more are A2 units. Your 'best 3 A2 units' do not need to include a pure unit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Can someone pls help me with Part B???

A shop sells large birthday cakes at a rate of 2 every 3 days.
a) Find the probability of selling no large birthday cakes on a randomly selected day.

Fresh cakes are baked every 3 days and any cakes older than 3 days cannot be sold.
b) Find how many large birthday cakes should be baked so that the probability of running out of large birthday cakes to sell is less than 1%.
The rules:

Mathematics - Compulsory Units: C1-4; Possible Application Units: D1D2, M1M2, S1S2, D1M1, D1S1, M1D1.
A* - gain a total of 180 UMS in C3 & C4, and 480 UMS for all six units taken.

Further Maths - Compulsory Units: FP1, FP2/3; Possible Application Units: The remaining AS unit(s), the remaining FP unit, and other A2 units built consecutively (i.e. If you have taken M1, you cannot take M3 without M2)
A* - gain a total of 270 UMS in the BEST THREE A2 units (note this does not have to include FP2 or FP3) and 480 UMS for all six units taken.

F. A. Maths - Compulsory Units: None; Possible Application Units: All units not previously cashed in.
A* - gain a total of 270 UMS in the BEST THREE A2 units and 480 UMS for all six units taken.

AS Units: C1, C2, D1, FP1, M1, S1
A2 Units: C3-4, D2, FP2-3, M2-5, S2-4
Original post by Rkai01

They need to cash in your Maths AS as well as Maths A level.

Quick Reply

Latest