The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_tom
There have been no respected papers saying that we're in for Lars Bender. Telegraph isn't respected.

They're one of the most reliable sources of United news, seem to be quite good for Chelsea too. Who are some reliable Arsenal journalists/sources?
Baptista? Higuain? Latter only really became widely known until we were in very advanced negotiations, like with Ozil.

Lol Higuain was known for ages.

Baptists is from years ago and according to Reyes' Wikipedia, it seems like it was just a compromise to get Reyes off the books. Reyes going the other way was rumoured for ages too according to that...
Original post by qwerty_mad
Holiday one week before the PL starts?! Are you sure??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weren't they supposed to be given an extended break or something ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
They're one of the most reliable sources of United news, seem to be quite good for Chelsea too. Who are some reliable Arsenal journalists/sources?

Jeremy Wilson is the only some-what reliable journalist from Telegraph, but he is hit and miss, and doesn't necessarily report things first either. For Arsenal we have Ornstein (BBC) obviously, and supposedly Cross (Mirror) has an inside-contact but he has lost his reputation over the years with dodgy reporting.
Original post by Terry McDermott
Lol Higuain was known for ages.

Baptists is from years ago and according to Reyes' Wikipedia, it seems like it was just a compromise to get Reyes off the books. Reyes going the other way was rumoured for ages too according to that...

Not until the advanced stages. No one took it seriously before that. Reyes was a different case because he wanted to move, he pushed for it. No one knew Baptista was coming our way though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Jeremy Wilson is the only some-what reliable journalist from Telegraph, but he is hit and miss, and doesn't necessarily report things first either. For Arsenal we have Ornstein (BBC) obviously, and supposedly Cross (Mirror) has an inside-contact but he has lost his reputation over the years with dodgy reporting.

Cross is just a c*** who supports Arsenal, he doesn't have any contacts in the business anymore.
Not until the advanced stages. No one took it seriously before that. Reyes was a different case because he wanted to move, he pushed for it. No one new Baptista was coming our way though.

Lol, whatever you say tom. I can't go through and trawl back through the rumours last year to do with Higuain, all I remember is that you were strongly linked with him for quite a few weeks before your Suarez bid and then everything fell apart.

Useless talking about Baptista/Reyes anyway because it was nearly a decade ago and it wasn't under Perez.

Silly to suggest that you have some kind of agreement with Madrid in this way. It's not as if Madrid tend to make huge noises when getting rid of players anyway, Higuain to Napoli was done very quickly after you lot ****ed up.
Reply 766
If we're buying Khedira for the sake of buying a DM, its a mistake. He's not a DM and he's not particularly better than any of the others who can play CM in our team. I've long been unconvinced by him. We just really need to reconsider our suicidal tactics against the better teams.
Original post by Terry McDermott
Cross is just a c*** who supports Arsenal, he doesn't have any contacts in the business anymore.

Lol, whatever you say tom. I can't go through and trawl back through the rumours last year to do with Higuain, all I remember is that you were strongly linked with him for quite a few weeks before your Suarez bid and then everything fell apart.

Useless talking about Baptista/Reyes anyway because it was nearly a decade ago and it wasn't under Perez.

Silly to suggest that you have some kind of agreement with Madrid in this way. It's not as if Madrid tend to make huge noises when getting rid of players anyway, Higuain to Napoli was done very quickly after you lot ****ed up.

Cross definately has (or used to) have some connections at the club. The guy is always at the front at press conferences, Q&As, etc. Quite reliable when it comes to minor things like injuries and pre-season, not very reliable when it comes to transfers. Then again, he might just be reporting what the club tell him (i.e. Higuain) but things don't always go to plan do they... not that anyone trusts him anymore either.

I never said we have an agreement with Madrid. I'm just saying don't be surprised if we get Khedira before all the major sources in England start reporting it. Why the **** would Marca report Khedira to Arsenal when its probably controlled by Perez? Its usually the Catalan media that reports players that leave, taken with a pinch of salt of course :rolleyes:
Reply 768
We're not buying Khedira for the sake of a pure CDM we're buying him as an upgrade on Arteta which isn't such a bad thing.

Sure he's a bit expensive but we've been moaning for years about how we weren't splashing out the money on players so now that we finally people lose their minds. Not the best player but he's been solid for Real madrid and you have to take into account his injury this season. Still, I'm sure he'll be one of the first to be injured next season too
(edited 9 years ago)
I've heard that our Khedira bid is like €30M! Why don't we just go and bid €40M for Martinez instead?
Reply 770
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I've heard that our Khedira bid is like €30M! Why don't we just go and bid €40M for Martinez instead?

I would prefer Martinez too but doubt that's going to happen. Khedira really isn't that bad I think some are exaggerating lol
Original post by Numan786
Weren't they supposed to be given an extended break or something ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but not for that long. I think end of July.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IWantSomeMushu

Martinez isn't going anywhere. Guardiola said it, Martinez said it, and Bayern don't need to sell...
Reply 773
Khedira lol, take him. Don't want him anywhere near my club.
Original post by Birdman1234567
Podolski has 115 caps and almost 50 goals for Germany. He also had a couple substitute apps in this WC i think. I don't give two ****s whether he contributed or not, he's a don and should lift that trophy.

Meh. I wouldn't really care if people were saying that too me as long I got my medal I'm fine. On another note Draxler is only 20 and already World Cup winner.
Original post by Xotol
If we're buying Khedira for the sake of buying a DM, its a mistake. He's not a DM and he's not particularly better than any of the others who can play CM in our team. I've long been unconvinced by him. We just really need to reconsider our suicidal tactics against the better teams.

It's a huge mistake. Schneiderlin would be the perfect signing, but it looks like he is going to become yet another lost opportunity for Arsenal.

I know a lot of people don't rate him, but Joe Allen would have been a great DM signing, too. I don't think Arsenal are looking for a box to box guy like Vieira was, so the DM role is going to be an unsung hero and they are available for much less than is being touted for Khedira.
I don't think it's right that Khedira should be on more than 130,000 a week really. If he demands for more than 150,000, Wenger should tell him to stick it. It's not even that Arsenal can't afford that.
Original post by pane123
It's a huge mistake. Schneiderlin would be the perfect signing, but it looks like he is going to become yet another lost opportunity for Arsenal.

I know a lot of people don't rate him, but Joe Allen would have been a great DM signing, too. I don't think Arsenal are looking for a box to box guy like Vieira was, so the DM role is going to be an unsung hero and they are available for much less than is being touted for Khedira.

I'd rather have Khedira over Allen every day of the week tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pane123

Southampton value Schneiderlin the same way they value Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, etc. He will go for £25M-£30M and Southampton can play hard ball since he has 3 years left on his contract. It would not be a cheap purchase by any means.
talks of ospina too

Latest