The Student Room Group

what can you do with a 3rd class degree?

as the title says. Usually people prefer at least a 2:1 or 2:2 in a degree so what can you do if you get the lowest grade?

Scroll to see replies

I know someone who got a 3rd and he did an MSc to kinda cover it up as he couldn't get hired.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
I know someone who got a 3rd and he did an MSc to kinda cover it up as he couldn't get hired.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my uncle knew someone who got a 3rd class degree and told him that he wasted his time at uni and could have just got a job. :colonhash:
Original post by maryamzahid
my uncle knew someone who got a 3rd class degree and told him that he wasted his time at uni and could have just got a job. :colonhash:

I think the person I know got told the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could use it as toilet paper?
Original post by TheSilentBang

LOL.

OP: I think if you can do MSc then it will help you.
Reply 6
Start your own business.
Lol @ people saying do a msc. Getting a 3rd means you probably were not motivated or smart enough to get a good grade. what specifically is getting a masters going to do? Just accept education isnt for you and apply for entry level jobs and work your way up.
Original post by TheSilentBang

I came here hoping to see this.

Wasn't disappointed.
Become Carol Vorderman.
You could just repeat modules or retake exams/course work and get a top grade or if you are worried that you are gonna get a 3rd then work hard so you don't get it.
Not much I guess :erm:

Start from the very bottom and take about twice as long as everyone else to get where you want to be?
Original post by iloveteddy14
You could just repeat modules or retake exams/course work and get a top grade or if you are worried that you are gonna get a 3rd then work hard so you don't get it.

Do you go to uni?

You can't just resit stuff... if you have mitigating circumstances then you'll get an uncapped resist (usually), but in most cases you only get to resit if you fail, and your mark is capped at 40, which is a third.

Working hard so you don't get a third is the only thing you can do, tbh.
Reply 13
You'd have to be pretty thick to get a third.
But I am sure the OP could claim circumstances at the time that affected performance. If the op cannot do anything to change the results then he/she should consider either doing post grad and really putting a lot more effort into to prove to people you can do this or stick with what you have.

Nightworld1066
Original post by Blues Clues
Become Carol Vorderman.

Nope, Rachel Riley showed you need a 2:1 now to do that.
Sign on for life.
At many Unis you wont get this far - it will be 'suggested' to you that you find a better way to waste your time (and theirs) long before your final year.

Essentially, its worthless. If anything it reveals everything you'd rather an employer didn't know - that you arent very bright, you are lazy and you enjoy wasting time. Anyone adding it to their CV is hardly doing themselves a favour and would be better off hiding their degree certificate in their sock drawer and pretending they'd 'been travelling' for the last three years.
But if you have say special needs or disability then it would be really good

Nightworld1066
Original post by iloveteddy14
But I am sure the OP could claim circumstances at the time that affected performance. If the op cannot do anything to change the results then he/she should consider either doing post grad and really putting a lot more effort into to prove to people you can do this or stick with what you have.

Nightworld1066

haha, this isn't about me as I don't start uni yet but I was curious to know what people can do with that degree classification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending