The Student Room Group

Just curious: ancient Greece.

So i was just wondering, did the oedipus thing actually happen? or did Sophocles just make up the story? or did he write the play about it because it actually happened like Shakespeare's historys?
Original post by Gibus_pyro
So i was just wondering, did the oedipus thing actually happen? or did Sophocles just make up the story? or did he write the play about it because it actually happened like Shakespeare's historys?

I haven't finished Oedipus, I liked reading it though. I'd be interested to find out though... I kind of doubt it's real though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by karmacrunch
I haven't finished Oedipus, I liked reading it though. I'd be interested to find out though... I kind of doubt it's real though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah i know i meant is it real in the sense in the sense that the greek gods were 'real' ie people actually believed it at some point. and yeah it was one of the best things I've read for ages.
Reply 3
Oedipus was a mythical king of Thebes. Sophocles wrote it as a narrative of Greek values and Ethics at the time.
It's based on a general myth that everyone knew, Sophocles took that idea and put it into his play. Pretty common thing for tragedy writers to do at the time.
Reply 5
Of course not :wink: It's full of myths and magical stuff .. I mean some professors do suggest sometimes some tragedies are based on true events but I guess that's not case ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending