The Student Room Group

Anyone taken iGCSE's in November or January?

Did you do them as private candidates.

Which exam board did you do, afaik CIE and Edexcel are the only ones?

Do CIE do exams in Jan and Edexcel do exams in Nov?

How much did it cost you to enter for them privately?

Skill gap between gcse's/igcse's/as levels?

How long in advance did you study?

Could anyone please tell me the centre at which they took these exams at, finding difficultly in finding centres to sit the exams at - for local schools.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a private candidate.

If you want to do IGCSE, you only really have the choice of Edexcel or Cambridge: which subjects do you want to take (also have you studied them for a particular board- remember that the specifications are different)?

Edexcel do the 'secondary' session of exams in January and CIE offer them in October/November.

Fees:
Pearson Edexcel International GCSEs: £37.80 per subject; £58.10 per MFL subject; £75.65 for Double Award science.
Cambridge IGCSEs: Cambridge don't seem to make their fee list available.

IGCSEs are marginally more advanced than GCSEs - the qualifications are officially (and unofficially, by employers and universities etc.) on the exact same level, but IGCSEs are harder. The content is much more rigorous and science IGCSEs contain more proper scientific theory than their GCSE counterparts (like in chemistry GCSE, you have to study types of rock and look at food! IGCSE is all about 'real' chemistry - with fewer applications and a more demanding requirement for understanding stuff).

GCSE courses are two years generally - I don't know what the least time you can study for is - I learn the courses at school over the timeframe - but it didn't seem like we could do the content any quicker really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by danconway
I'm not a private candidate.

If you want to do IGCSE, you only really have the choice of Edexcel or Cambridge: which subjects do you want to take (also have you studied them for a particular board- remember that the specifications are different)?

Edexcel do the 'secondary' session of exams in January and CIE offer them in October/November.

I'll attach the fees in a minute.

IGCSEs are marginally more advanced than GCSEs - the qualifications are officially (and unofficially, by employers and universities etc.) on the exact same level, but IGCSEs are harder. The content is much more rigorous and science IGCSEs contain more proper scientific theory than their GCSE counterparts (like in chemistry GCSE, you have to study types of rock and look at food! IGCSE is all about 'real' chemistry - with fewer applications and a more demanding requirement for understanding stuff).

GCSE courses are two years generally - I don't know what the least time you can study for is - I learn the courses at school over the timeframe - but it didn't seem like we could do the content any quicker really.

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking of taking the three separate sciences with Edexcel in January, and other exams with CIE. I have obtained a stars in regular gcse in stats+math+eng lit+eng lang. I think that Jan should give me ample time for the three sciences. I have already covered all the material, and have gone through as+a2 as well. I intend to take my sat2's in oct-jan too which are probably as equivalent.

I think as far as difficulty goes I should be fine in that regard, thanks for your detailed response though. I was thinking of doing igcse's in religious studies,travel and tourism, geography in november and maybe a few others but I haven't looked too much at this.
CIE seem to offer much more subjects than edexcel do.

Thanks for the info, really detailed. Would you say that if doing exams in november, that studing from start of august would be enough to get a stars? I don't go to school, so I can allocate and attribute more time into specified areas.

Regards.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking of taking the three separate sciences with Edexcel in January, and other exams with CIE. I have obtained a stars in regular gcse in stats+math+eng lit+eng lang. I think that Jan should give me ample time for the three sciences. I have already covered all the material, and have gone through as+a2 as well. I intend to take my sat2's in oct-jan too which are probably as equivalent.

I think as far as difficulty goes I should be fine in that regard, thanks for your detailed response though. I was thinking of doing igcse's in religious studies,travel and tourism, geography in november and maybe a few others but I haven't looked too much at this.
CIE seem to offer much more subjects than edexcel do.

Thanks for the info, really detailed. Would you say that if doing exams in november, that studing from start of august would be enough to get a stars? I don't go to school, so I can allocate and attribute more time into specified areas.

Regards.

Well as for the sciences, you seem pretty prepared already! I'd just look through some past papers and see if you can answer the questions! Look through the specification as well just to remind yourself of what they want you to know. You'll be fine.

The problem with these IGCSEs is that there seems to be a lot of content. Now, if you're happy with the syllabi already and you feel confident, go for it. But I wouldn't set 'exam day targets' that are so close to now. I'd just go through the content at my own pace and take the exam when ready. The fact is that IGCSEs are 2 year courses, and even if you're going to do them in a massively accelerated manner, being a private candidate, it still could be a bit tight for time. I'd recommend doing those other IGCSEs in May/June. But that depends on how much of the content you already know. I'd just feel very cautious studying all those courses in three months!

Who knows, work through it, and if you've covered everything with a month to spare, take the exam. If not, don't risk it - wait until you're guaranteed an A*.

How confident do you think you are with those IGCSE subjects at the present moment (have you looked at them at all yet?!)?

Regards,
Dan
Well as for the sciences, you seem pretty prepared already! I'd just look through some past papers and see if you can answer the questions! Look through the specification as well just to remind yourself of what they want you to know. You'll be fine.ou looked at them at all yet?!)?

Regards,
Dan

Hey Dan, yeah hopefully! I didn't make this clear but I have only gone through the syllabus of Phy and Chem, not Biology but I have covered the GCSE material in there.

Yes, that is very true. With the exam targets I don't want to do any in May or June because I will be taking AP's and A Levels then. I often hear that people say for gcse's revise a month before the exam solidly and you have the A star, I'd assume that this isn't the case for igcse's. I would be allocating about 12 hours a day of studying and I am doing other things too, looking at getting a part-time job, piano, work experience in building, learning spanish+latin,voluntary work etc.

Without coming off as a conceited prat, I am fairly confident that I will get the A stars for the three sciences in January, I will probably do foundations of maths ocr too which doesn't look too difficult. However it has been such a long time since I looked at the material for the r.s, geog and I have never covered travel and tourism- will need to check the specification to confirm this, so I would need to put a lot of time and effort, along with studying for the SAT etc. at the same time.

I have not looked at the CIE content, I am confident thought that I would expect to get a minimum of an A grade for any gcse/igcse pending exams. But I really need and want the A stars, so I will need to put in a lot of effort for them.

The only Level 2 I believe they are referred to, qualification I will look to take in summer will be additional maths and further maths gcse?

I want to study Economics at uni and so will look to do that igcse too.

I do not misunderstimate the content of the CIE exams I look to take, yes they may be considered soft subjects per se. but you don't get an A* in an exam without putting a lot of effort at least I consider that for myself anyway.

Is there anything you would recommend me to do, as seeing your detailed responses I take it you have finished gcses. Oh and would you happen to have the costs :colondollar:

Thanks Dan :smile:

Damien.
Hey Dan, yeah hopefully! I didn't make this clear but I have only gone through the syllabus of Phy and Chem, not Biology but I have covered the GCSE material in there.

Yes, that is very true. With the exam targets I don't want to do any in May or June because I will be taking AP's and A Levels then. I often hear that people say for gcse's revise a month before the exam solidly and you have the A star, I'd assume that this isn't the case for igcse's. I would be allocating about 12 hours a day of studying and I am doing other things too, looking at getting a part-time job, piano, work experience in building, learning spanish+latin,voluntary work etc.

Without coming off as a conceited prat, I am fairly confident that I will get the A stars for the three sciences in January, I will probably do foundations of maths ocr too which doesn't look too difficult. However it has been such a long time since I looked at the material for the r.s, geog and I have never covered travel and tourism- will need to check the specification to confirm this, so I would need to put a lot of time and effort, along with studying for the SAT etc. at the same time.

I have not looked at the CIE content, I am confident thought that I would expect to get a minimum of an A grade for any gcse/igcse pending exams. But I really need and want the A stars, so I will need to put in a lot of effort for them.

The only Level 2 I believe they are referred to, qualification I will look to take in summer will be additional maths and further maths gcse?

I do not misunderstimate the content of the CIE exams I look to take, yes they may be considered soft subjects per se. but you don't get an A* in an exam without putting a lot of effort at least I consider that for myself anyway.

Is there anything you would recommend me to do, as seeing your detailed responses I take it you have finished gcses. Oh and would you happen to have the costs :colondollar:

Thanks Dan :smile:

Damien.

Don't worry, you don't sound like a conceited prat!
If you're already well towards an A, then the A* is certainly very achievable after three months of study.
Well, the saying about 'revising a month before' is true for IGCSEs too, and since you seem to know the content, the fact you have three months is very handy.

As for Biology IGCSE, look through the specification and textbook, and basically just fill in the gaps in your knowledge. Simple!

In the summer, you can indeed take Additional Mathematics - it's a level 3 qualification, a 'FSMQ' (Free Standing Mathematics Qualification) offered by OCR. The maths involved is actually very satisfying - more so than at GCSE, certainly. It's a fantastic stepping stone up to AS/GCE level. You could even have a look at Further Maths IGCSE (it's an Edexcel qualification) - it seems to go even further than the FSMQ in terms of content, so if you get bored and want more maths to do (or just start the A Level)!

I think given the air of omnipotence and experience you seem to have in all the subjects you're talking about, an A* from a November/January sitting will be easily manageable!

I'm looking for the CIE fees, but here are the Pearson Edexcel ones:
Pearson Edexcel International GCSEs: £37.80 per subject; £58.10 per MFL subject; £75.65 for Double Award science.

So I'd say you could definitely take these IGCSEs at the first available opportunity. The next challenge is finding a centre. If there are people with private candidate experience on here, they should be able to help you out.

Whereabouts do you live? I'll see if I can find centres (relatively) close to you.

Daniel
Don't worry, you don't sound like a conceited prat!
If you're already well towards an A, then the A* is certainly very achievable after three months of study.
Well, the saying about 'revising a month before' is true for IGCSEs too, and since you seem to know the content, the fact you have three months is very handy.

Daniel

Right yeah that sounds good thanks :smile:

Ah cool that's good :smile:

I've covered the content for that too :P There are usually low grade boundaries 65 for an A iirc, but then again the top maths candidates will be taking this too. Is that further maths igcse available in january would you happen to know :colondollar:

Oh right, thanks for that. I would be doing 3 sciences, potentially igcse FM if it available before May..

Oh cool, I'll look around but most people seem to be from everywhere in the UK here! Wales, Cornwall, Bristol - I suppose that this is a given really lmao.

I would be able to commute to centres in Coventry or Ilford. Centres other than there would be kind of a stretch, am I right in thinking that I would have to do both Chemistry exams at one centre, and not the two exams at two separate exams centres.

Thanks for all of your help. :smile:
Coventry or Ilford? They're quite far apart, aren't they?

Bablake School in Coventry offers Edexcel International GCSE qualifications:

Bablake School

Coundon Road
Coventry
CV1 4AU
[email protected]

As for CIE, I can't tell because their website is a bit rubbish.
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/find-a-centre/pages/where-can-i-take-edexcel-exams.aspx
http://www.cie.org.uk/i-want-to/find-a-cambridge-school/
Edexcel IGCSE Further Pure Maths is offered in January. The content looks pretty advanced; there's differentiation of e and stuff!
The AQA Level 2 Certificate Further Maths is also offered in January. The OCR FSMQ is only offered in June.
Coventry or Ilford? They're quite far apart, aren't they?

Bablake School in Coventry offers Edexcel International GCSE qualifications:

Bablake School

Coundon Road
Coventry
CV1 4AU
[email protected]

As for CIE, I can't tell because their website is a bit rubbish.
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/find-a-centre/pages/where-can-i-take-edexcel-exams.aspx
http://www.cie.org.uk/i-want-to/find-a-cambridge-school/

Both really, could you tell me which site you use to locate centres? I don't want to cause you too much hassle :colondollar: I have places to stay in both cities.

Also mate is the igcse fpm the same as the aqa level 2 fm. And yep, trust pesky ocr to be like that :lol:
Edexcel IGCSE Further Pure Maths is offered in January. The content looks pretty advanced; there's differentiation of e and stuff!
The AQA Level 2 Certificate Further Maths is also offered in January. The OCR FSMQ is only offered in June.

Just realised you sent me the links, thanks though :smile:

Diff of e^x is just e^x right :smile:

Bablake only offer igcse's in june. This will probably more tricky than I initially imagined.

I will drop them an email anyway though, I will probably have to take the exams in london or brum then..
Diff of e^x is just e^x right :smile:

Bablake only offer igcse's in june. This will probably more tricky than I initially imagined.

I will drop them an email anyway though, I will probably have to take the exams in london or brum then..

Aha yes yes it is :'D

Ah. There will be centres around. It's just a matter of doing more commuting! London will certainly have some centres. As for whether they offer CIE, you'll have to ask them, because the CIE 'Find a Cambridge School' tool isn't working (when you select UK, it takes an age to load and gives up the ghost?).

IGCSE Further Pure Maths seems to be a lot more advanced than the Level 2 Certificate - even more so than the Level 3 FSMQ, which is strange seeing as IGCSE FPM is a Level 2 qualification. Anyway, I'd probably pass on the AQA thing and do the IGCSE - take a look at a paper, and see if you can do it!

If you want something relatively easy, just do the AQA certificate for a laugh!
Aha yes yes it is :'D

If you want something relatively easy, just do the AQA certificate for a laugh!

xD

That's true not as bad as foreign countries I suppose, but I will need to commute a fair distance :yep:

Yep I will do :smile: Thanks for the assistance bro.

Is there a level 3 fsmq is that the additional maths offered by ocr. I'm literally in awe of how many different qualifications there are for maths lmao.

Yeah that's right, I might do both. AQA one may do good for confidence, just dropped an email off to Bablake :P
Did you do them as private candidates.
Which exam board did you do, afaik CIE and Edexcel are the only ones?
Do CIE do exams in Jan and Edexcel do exams in Nov?

CIE and Edexcel are the only options. Edexcel offers standard GCSEs in maths and English in November and then limited IGCSEs in January. CIE offers IGCSEs in November but the main take up for these is internationally, you may really struggle to find a centre for most subjects in the UK in the Autumn.

CIE November entry deadline is ?28 September.
Edexcel January entry deadline is 21 October.
Original post by Compost
CIE and Edexcel are the only options. Edexcel offers standard GCSEs in maths and English in November and then limited IGCSEs in January. CIE offers IGCSEs in November but the main take up for these is internationally, you may really struggle to find a centre for most subjects in the UK in the Autumn.

CIE November entry deadline is ?28 September.
Edexcel January entry deadline is 21 October.

Right thanks yep. I also intend to ocr fsmq foundations of maths in jan too, and perhaps the aqa level 2 maths if I can find schools that do it.

If you enter before the deadline is it cheaper?

I have completed gcse's in maths and english.

I hadn't thought about the centres in uk for cie nov. May I ask why there are lack of centres for cie nov in uk?

Thanks for your help!

If by Additional maths you mean OCR's FSMQ then that is officially a Level 3 qualification. It's really good prep for A level but if you are taking A level Maths next summer I wouldn't bother taking the FSMQ exam.

What A levels are you thinking of doing? A level Economics has no coursework so causes no issues for private candidates - again I'd recommend going straight for this rather than bothering with the IGCSE.

Oh and would you happen to have the costs

The costs Dan has quoted are the cost the exam centre has to pay the exam board. The amount they charge you is likely to be significantly more, particularly if you are doing subjects the centre doesn't normally offer (e.g. most IGCSEs in November) and you have to bear the full invigilation and organisation costs.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you enter before the deadline is it cheaper?

It's more expensive afterwards - not sure about CIE but Edexcel's prices double on 22 Oct and go up to 3x the original price on 22 Nov. Centre need to have time to sort the admin before those deadlines so will set their own deadlines slightly earlier.

I hadn't thought about the centres in uk for cie nov. May I ask why there are lack of centres for cie nov in uk?

It's not my specialist subject but CIE provides IGCSEs and other exams to countries all over the world. I think the November season is mainly for countries whose school year ends in December, hence they want exams in their equivalent of our June. Some UK centres enter students for Maths and/or English in November (and then move them on to - say - FSMQ and English Literature) but not a lot else.
Original post by Compost
It's more expensive afterwards - not sure about CIE but Edexcel's prices double on 22 Oct and go up to 3x the original price on 22 Nov. Centre need to have time to sort the admin before those deadlines so will set their own deadlines slightly earlier.

It's not my specialist subject but CIE provides IGCSEs and other exams to countries all over the world. I think the November season is mainly for countries whose school year ends in December, hence they want exams in their equivalent of our June. Some UK centres enter students for Maths and/or English in November (and then move them on to - say - FSMQ and English Literature) but not a lot else.

Yep obviously I would want to enter as cheap as possible, I should know the exams that I will want to sit before the end of july.

Very interesting yeah, I never considered this. Obviously if the cost is astronomical then I may leave taking the exams which is a shame really.

So say that there is me and one other candidate going to take an exam, who pays the administration cost?
Yep obviously I would want to enter as cheap as possible, I should know the exams that I will want to sit before the end of july.

Very interesting yeah, I never considered this. Obviously if the cost is astronomical then I may leave taking the exams which is a shame really.

So say that there is me and one other candidate going to take an exam, who pays the administration cost?

Accepting private candidates is a sellers' market as not many centres will and they can charge what they like. If you look around, prices to take a bog-standard GCSE vary from £30 to £150. The more unusual your choice, the more it is likely to cost. As soon as you mention CIE that knocks out most of the state schools in the country (they effectively used to be banned from taking IGCSEs and even now only about 8 are allowed in state schools. Many state schools are not registered to administer exams with CIE) and the prices go up further.

You have to realise that the centre will genuinely spend a fair amount of time sorting your entry out, particularly if you are doing a subject they don't normally do, and that it is entirely fair that they charge you for their time and add on some profit for the inconvenience - you wouldn't expect a shop to sell something without taking into account their overheads and profit. Then if they have to put on an exam session with an invigilator just for you it is fair they pass on the costs. I really don't know what sort of prices you are likely to be quoted. If you have to use a mix of centres then double check you won't have any exam clashes as, if you do, it may prove impossible to get one of the centres to escort you to the other one to take the second exam.

Quick Reply