The Student Room Group

How serious is lying about age?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkWhite
It is fraud by false representation as defined by the Fraud Act 2006; punishable by fine and up to 12 months (summary) or 10 years (indictment) in prison.

Clearly the application of this Act is normally applied in more common situations than yours, and few people would think to apply it, but you really never know..

You're also depriving another young person of a place, which should be of greater concern.

But it's not as no fake documents. No not depriving anyone else as there were spare places. I thought false representation was only for tax etc, not things like this
Original post by cheeriosarenice
But it's not as no fake documents. No not depriving anyone else as there were spare places. I thought false representation was only for tax etc, not things like this

It doesn't matter about fake documents.

If somebody asks your age in order to determine your eligibility to gain something, and you achieve or attempt to achieve gain through false representation - lying about your age - it is fraud, both semantically and legally.

Gain covers anything that you already have or did not have; it can be anything from money to a job; a place on a music course or even just information.

So how serious is it? A maximum fine and 10 years in prison in the worst case. In the best place, a guilty conscience and potentially depriving somebody else of a place.

You could/could've just emailed them and asked. If it wasn't funding-restricted and they had spaces they probably wouldn't have minded.
If you do, you will be forced to spray paint my car a new colour I have always wanted! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest