The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

So decided to make a blog on my progress

I started November 7th 2013 with these stats

Weight: 140lb
(All 3 sets of 5 with the exclusion of DL which is 1 set of 5 or if otherwise stated)

Squat: 35kg
Bench: 30kg
Couldn't OHP with olympic bar so started on dumbbell shoulder press: 10kg
DL: 77.5kg

Today 9th July 2014

Weight: 170lb as of 7/7/14

Squat: 105kg
Bench: Managed 1 set of 4 on 55kg until spotter had to come in so finished with 2 sets of 50kg
OHP: 40kg
Deadlift: 117.5kg

Note: At around January time I realised my DL form was terrible so dropped the weight and focused on form for a good few weeks. Likewise with the squat around February time.
Had to stop training for a month because I'm an idiot and procrastinated for my exam revision and had to cram everything in the month. Sleep and diet were also none existent at the time. Lost a lot of strength and been building my way up again.
I'm currently fasting but it hasn't been as bad I though it would be, the most difficult thing I find is eating enough in the short time frame I have, I train close to the time I open my fast and make sure I get enough rest between sets so I don't collapse or anything.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

in
Any accessory movements mate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nvmthename
Any accessory movements mate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at the moment. Contemplating maybe adding them in after Ramadan. So about 2/3 weeks away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In.
No eggs this morning and had no time to go to the shop so had to have 4 scoops of whey and 500ml milk and 100g oats for breakfast. Genuinely cannot wait till this fasting is over. So I can stop forcing food down me and 2 in the morning.
11/7/14
(All 3 sets of 5 with the exclusion of DL which is 1 set of 5 or if otherwise stated)

Squat: 107.5kg
OHP: 42.5kg (Managed 4 reps in the first set and last rep was a little bad on form, so dropped the weight for the next two set to 37.5kg and did 5 reps)
Deadlift: 120kg

Squat and deadlift felt relatively easy, despite not feeling really up for the gym before I went. Was feeling a lot more tired than usual. OHP was difficult but I think that may be because I didn't rest enough between sets. Will reattempt OHP on Wednesday.

Fast was okay felt a bit hungrier than usual and pretty dehydrated. Two more weeks of fasting left so 6 workouts, so just need to push through. Hopefully next week I break through the 110 barrier I keep hitting on my squat feeling optimistic.
Reply 7
In :smile: we have similar lifts excluding bench

Posted from TSR Mobile
In
For **** sake really pissed off after that workout.

Squat: 110 (Last rep on last set, I thought I was going to collapse but pushed through and just managed it)
Bench 55 (But ****ing failed after 3 reps, again, I've been stuck on this goddamn weight for 2 months now according to my log, **** you 55 I hope you die, you piece of ****. Dropped weight to 50 and did 3 sets of 5)
Deadlift: 122.5

****ing Bench piece of ****. ****. ****ity. ****. ****. ****.
can you take a vid of you benching? me going from 50-60ish was a matter of working on technique.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
can you take a vid of you benching? me going from 50-60ish was a matter of working on technique.

I'll try, the gym is pretty empty around this time so I'll need to find a place to put my phone.
Reply 12
When you bench, try using leg drive. Plant your heels on the floor, push down and back through the bench with your back, and tense your glutes with your butt lightly touching the bench. That helped me recently with bench, idk if you already do it/want to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
When you bench, try using leg drive. Plant your heels on the floor, push down and back through the bench with your back, and tense your glutes with your butt lightly touching the bench. That helped me recently with bench, idk if you already do it/want to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Appreciate the tip. I think it's coming time that I move onto another programme. Gonna stick this out till maybe the end of ramadan or this time next month as I go back to uni and then move on to Madcows or something.
Original post by TSA
Appreciate the tip. I think it's coming time that I move onto another programme. Gonna stick this out till maybe the end of ramadan or this time next month as I go back to uni and then move on to Madcows or something.

There's something wrong with your form tbh.
Original post by tehforum
There's something wrong with your form tbh.

I was making gains at 3000 cals at uni and that is when I use to bike 3 miles either way to the gym on workout days.

I'm still eating 3000 calories but I do literally (And I mean literally nothing) nothing most days other than the odd trip to the post office, which is like a 30 second walk. Since coming home I've been making gains until recently.

I really don't think it's diet and I've got a few people at the gym to criticise my form and everyone has told me it's good.

I'll try get a video or two up here next workout but it's hard considering the gym is mostly empty and not many places I can prop my phone up but I'll try.
Original post by TSA
I was making gains at 3000 cals at uni and that is when I use to bike 3 miles either way to the gym on workout days.

I'm still eating 3000 calories but I do literally (And I mean literally nothing) nothing most days other than the odd trip to the post office, which is like a 30 second walk. Since coming home I've been making gains until recently.

I really don't think it's diet and I've got a few people at the gym to criticise my form and everyone has told me it's good.

I'll try get a video or two up here next workout but it's hard considering the gym is mostly empty and not many places I can prop my phone up but I'll try.

yeah a video would help.

also, try doing bench at the start of your workout.
Reply 17
Original post by TSA

You go back early :redface:
I'm thinking of moving onto a different programme too, but I've only been doing this one since the start of June..

Also try propping your phone up with plates and use the front facing camera if it makes it easier and is of decent quality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
You go back early :redface:
I'm thinking of moving onto a different programme too, but I've only been doing this one since the start of June..

Also try propping your phone up with plates and use the front facing camera if it makes it easier and is of decent quality

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just tired of living at home. Been back since like May, and I've got a reassessment because I failed my OSPE late August, pretty annoying because I got 90%+ in every other module. But it's aight first year doesn't count towards anything. I actually start uni late September, but want to get back into routine, do a bit of extra reading and hit second year running. :cool: Gotta get that first.
Reply 19
Original post by TSA
Just tired of living at home. Been back since like May, and I've got a reassessment because I failed my OSPE late August, pretty annoying because I got 90%+ in every other module. But it's aight first year doesn't count towards anything. I actually start uni late September, but want to get back into routine, do a bit of extra reading and hit second year running. :cool: Gotta get that first.

Lol if I did that I'd get the 'don't you like your family?' lecture from my dad, it's not that I don't like you, it's that you're all annoying as ****. That's it, gotta aim high!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest