The Student Room Group

Can you be just friends with a girl you like?

I really like my friend. But she has a boyfriend who lives in another country. (Long distance relationship 4+ yrs) She plans to marry him.
I told her how I feel. She said that I already know she has a boyfriend and that she loves him and that I shouldn't be selfish.

I said ok I'm sorry, but we can stay friends.

I'm finding it very difficult. But I want to stay friends with her because we get on really well together and she considers me her close friend.

I can't tell her how I feel again or it will ruin our friendship. I was already very close to ruining it the first time I told her. She said to me we can't be friends anymore because she doesn't want to see me sad. But I said to her don't worry I will be ok.

But I'm really not ok.

It's currently the summer holidays so I haven't seen her for 2 months and I won't see her until October.

I know she loves somebody else and I should accept that but I am always thinking about her.

Also, regarding her boyfriend, he is living in another country and they have only met once, yet they have been talking, skyping for 4yrs. I don't see them being together but she is determined she will.

That being said, I want to stay friends with her. Is this ok? How can I make things easier for me? I mean we are close friends and she really appreciates me as a friend. We have been friends for almost a year now and I know for a fact that she really relies on me. If were stopped being friends, she would be at a much greater loss than myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by teamfitt10
I really like my friend. But she has a boyfriend who lives in another country. (Long distance relationship 4+ yrs) She plans to marry him.
I told her how I feel. She said that I already know she has a boyfriend and that she loves him and that I shouldn't be selfish.

I'm finding it very difficult. But I want to stay friends with her because we get on really well together and she considers me her close friend.

I can't tell her how I feel again or it will ruin our friendship. I was already very close to ruining it the first time I told her. She said to me we can't be friends anymore because she doesn't want to see me sad. But I said to her don't worry I will be ok.

But I'm really not ok.

It's currently the summer holidays so I haven't seen her for 2 months and I won't see her until October.

I know she loves somebody else and I should accept that but I am always thinking about her.

Also, regarding her boyfriend, he is living in another country and they have only met once, yet they have been talking, skyping for 4yrs. I don't see them being together but she is determined she will.

That being said, I want to stay friends with her. Is this ok? How can I make things easier for me? I mean we are close friends and she really appreciates me as a friend. We have been friends for almost a year now and I know for a fact that she really relies on me. If were stopped being friends, she would be at a much greater loss than myself.

End it now dude. Do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by teamfitt10

But I'm really not ok.

What ever you do, do not sabotage their relationship.

She says she wants to marry him yet they've only met once. Now, yes I guess that is something that's possible but I would think that's a very unlikely circumstance.

If you REALLY do like her, stay friends with her. It'll of course be hard but you never know, as they say 'patience is a virtue'

Trying to move on would be the best bet though. Try and find someone else. It sucks, but it happens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending